Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen those. I know some sites have posted them, but a ton still haven't which is really odd to me. Gametrailers for example, usually posts reviews just after midnight or in the early morning of release day at the latest. No 1Up review, no Gametrailers or Gamespot...just strange is all.

Exactly. I feel IGN does a good job calling a game crap for the most part. I have no doubt this game is pretty much it. That said I picked me up the Silent Hill HD collection. I wanted some non crap survival horror. :rotfl

I dot believe this was ever intended to be "survival horror" Just an action game taking place in the RE world which I was fine with. While I don't follow any one reviewer or believe fully in a score, I do look at the overall averages of a game to help me decide and so far there's only 10 reviews Im aware of. Based on plenty of video I've seen, I wasn't planning to buy it, but now I'm just curious to see what the deal is with all the missing reviews.

Man, everyone is playing the game already and my game that shipped last Tuesday still isn't here. Sigh...

Oh well. Should be here any day now at least!

Love the sign that it came with! It was free so I'm not complaining. The ridiculous shipping rate was practically the payment for it anyway.

IMG_0194.jpg

Last edited:
No offense guys, but I meant pro reviews. I knew the diehard crowd would like it no matter what.
I think its the other way around. If you are tempted by the game because you are a RE fan i think its the other "Die Hard" fan's views of the game that are best to gauge it by. Die hard fans can be much more critical than any reviewing website when it comes to a franchise they are passionate about. I doubt the pro review sites were so critical that when we started seeing Nemesis there was a kick up about it being the Movie version. Resident evil 4 and 5 get slated by hardcore "survival horror" RE fans. Yet they are a massive success.

All though if you are casual to just wanting a new game then sure wait a few weeks.

Im confident i will enjoy the game. By all the people on here and facebook saying how much fun it is. Where as all "pro" reviews do is pit it against other games.

Last edited:
I think its the other way around. If you are tempted by the game because you are a RE fan i think its the other "Die Hard" fan's views of the game that are best to gauge it by. Die hard fans can be much more critical than any reviewing website when it comes to a franchise they are passionate about. I doubt the pro review sites were so critical that when we started seeing Nemesis there was a kick up about it being the Movie version. Resident evil 4 and 5 get slated by hardcore "survival horror" RE fans. Yet they are a massive success.

All though if you are casual to just wanting a new game then sure wait a few weeks.

Im confident i will enjoy the game. By all the people on here and facebook saying how much fun it is. Where as all "pro" reviews do is pit it against other games.

As a fan of the franchise you are choosing to ignore all the reviews that say it's bad and opting for the optimistic approach. I get that, but that's why I prefer the reviews of pros (a consensus of them) rather than fans. Gamespots review is up BTW 4.5. But many others are still suspisciously absent. As I said, I'm not getting the game, but can't help but question the way the reviews have come out for this release.

I personally enjoyed the old REs but have never been a fan of the new direction that started with 4. That was actually one of the things that intrigued me about ORC. Oh well.

As a fan of the franchise you are choosing to ignore all the reviews that say it's bad and opting for the optimistic approach. I get that, but that's why I prefer the reviews of pros (a consensus of them) rather than fans. Gamespots review is up BTW 4.5. But many others are still suspisciously absent. As I said, I'm not getting the game, but can't help but question the way the reviews have come out for this release.

I personally enjoyed the old REs but have never been a fan of the new direction that started with 4. That was actually one of the things that intrigued me about ORC. Oh well.

put it this way. im on veteran mode. I got.2 smg clips and 12 rounds in my handgun but about 20 zombies. My team are half dead, and spec ops are shooting at me. Its friggin tense!

controls are tank like which i love. i love no quick turn. overall its 8 outta ten. im loving.the story, its not easy. but i rate it highly

As a fan of the franchise you are choosing to ignore all the reviews that say it's bad and opting for the optimistic approach. I get that, but that's why I prefer the reviews of pros (a consensus of them) rather than fans.
I am always an optimist. But i am not choosing to ignore negative reviews. I am choosing to read into the reviews done by the people who like me have been a fan of the franchise for near 15 years. Because more than likely we will have the same mind set of what we want from the game. Not that i am just blinded because i like the franchise. It might be a sub par game in general but i dont care how it stacks up against other games i care how it stacks up as a Resident Evil game.

No offense guys, but I meant pro reviews. I knew the diehard crowd would like it no matter what.

I don't think I'm a diehard fan because I can hardly recall the entire storyline of the series, but this game is plenty of fun if given the chance. I believe the reviews are so shoddy because it's not a typical RE game, and it's not a big ticket item like CoD or Mass Effect. I'm an apologist for this game because I didn't expect much, and what I got is the game I was hoping to play since Outbreak Files came out on the PS2.

but i dont care how it stacks up against other games i care how it stacks up as a Resident Evil game.

I think that's pretty tough too because it's something new in the RE games. It's not the standard survival horror, and it's not the crap survivor stuff. Like I was posting over the weekend it felt like a Left 4 Dead game set in the the RE universe. I hope it gets continued support, and possibly sequels because I love the games that are set up in the background of what we already know.

I played this for about an hour last night and I am really digging it. Sure it's not perfect, but it's fun and exactly what I expected. It's like Left 4 Dead with that Resident Evil atmosphere and feel.

It gets really intense when you are fighting both special forces and the zombies, very cool.

And the appearance by
Spoiler Spoiler:
was pretty awesome as well!

So I've read that there is no survival horror aspect to this game. Can anyone confirm that?

Nevermind:

Some didn't... Some hate this game because they got ideas from the films and because it's action not survival horror.

It's a sad day for this Resident Evil fan. :(

I actually have never played a Resident Evil game before this one, (although I do know the storyline...basically) and I am having a blast playing it. If you expect survival horror, then I would say you are barking up the wrong tree. It's more like if Gears of War (which I am not a big fan of) was set in Raccoon City. The MP isn't too shabby either as long as the lag isn't too bad (now that I boosted most of those pesky MP achievements out of the way).

All in all I do not feel as though I was let down/misled or will not get my money's worth out of it.

Mine is still sitting in play.com's warehouse. Its not looking good.

Shopto delievered my copy at 8am sharp, 2 days before release!!!

And for the doubters;

Let me put it this way on veteran mode which isn't even the hardest one;

Im in the City hall. Ive got 2 clips left for my MP5, ive got 8 bullets left in my handgun. Ive just cleared a room of about 20 Licker's. Half my team has died in the process and have come back as zombies.

My last team mate is swarmed after bleeding from a shot by a Spec Op soldier who in turn, I slit his throat. Im trying to shoot the zombies away from her, but its in vain. She hits the floor and transforms.

My objective is on the other side of the main foyer. Im down to 27 MP5 bullets and my 8 bullets in my handgun. I sprint across the foyer and press circle to knock a group of zombies to the floor. Lightly holding L2 i quick-pull my handgun out and pop 8 zombies in the head. thats my sub weapon totally out of Ammunition, and now im back to the 27 rounds in my Mp5. I spray those rounds and manage to reach the dead Spec op soldier and take his Assault rifle and just fire into the crowd of 20+ zombies, when a Licker wraps its tongue around my neck and kills me. I had no health, no anti-virus spray and no herbs in the vicinity. I start the Licker section again and this time, I do it better and more effective.

I wrote that removing anything from resident evil in my mind and thinking of it as just a game with zombies. The game is awsome. Its frantic, the enemies are hard and relentless. Team AI isn't the best, but it sure as hell aint Sheva. Control scheme is great, its fluid, you can shoot, quick-pull your handgun, melee with your knife, mapped out buttons for nades and health/anti-virus, my special ability is on the triangle button, and I can auto-cover and dive for cover. Its fluid and it works. It feels like resident evil 4 but more mobile.

The fanboy in me screams more loudly now, because im in RACCOON CITY. Im hearing UBCS radio transmissions from Echo team, from teams at the city general, clocktower, the down town area, the RPD. Hunk is telling me to get my ass out of the underground laboratory and get to the surface, he's gotta go back for the G-virus sample.

Nicholai's story is fleshed out so much. Aside from killing Murphy seeker in the Pharmacy in RE3, he leaves half his team to die for the zombies. The other half he plugs in the head and leaves them in the security room. I delete all security room footage and all the freaking UBCS members rise up and try to rip me and my team apart! He is scheming, theres much more back story. And hell ive only done 2 missions!

The game is awsome. In my eyes, a game doesn't need award winning soundtrack, critically acclaimed controls, Uncharted level graphics to be an awsome game. Its entertaining, it draws me in, it makes my love for classic resident evil come back. And im loving every second of it. Easily 8 out of ten for me, because I've played tank controlled resident evil, and this is an improvement over RE4/5 controls (even though, 4 and 5 were crap resi games)

Ignore bad reviews.

I thought killing zombies to stay alive long enough to complete your objective was "Survival Horror". Or am I wrong here?

Yes, but from I've been told that's not what the game is. The most basic element in "survival horror" is too many enemies and not enough ammo or first aid. This game is a "shooter".

Back