Reservoir Dogs - line dead ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of Sideshow figures, but, even taking into consideration the "every figure can't be made" and the "you can always come up with a why didn't they make _____" arguments, Sideshow = incomplete.
They make who they feel are the "core" of a line and thats it. I understand that some lines don't sell as well as others but when you think about it, how many Sideshow lines are complete?
Planet of the Apes - no Aldo, no TV versions, no Ape-o-nauts
Highlander - no Kurgan
Get Smart - no 99, no Hymie
Hogan's Heroes - no Kinch, no LeBeau, no Newkirk, no Carter
Buffy - no Anya, no Caleb, no Dawn
Angel - no Doyle
Universal Monsters - no Dr. Frankenstein, no Ygor, no Maleva....
Terminator 2 - no John
X Files - no Lone Gunman, no Reyes
Hellboy - no Rasputin, no Liz, no Dr. "Broom", no Myers
This Island Earth - no Exeter, no Cal, no Ruth
Twilight Zone - no Rod Serling, no fill in the _____
Outer Limits - no fill in the _____
These are just off the top of my head and from lines I followed. I'm sure there's more and that other characters could be viewed as missed.

From X-Files, I'd rather have Mr. X before Reyes.
Angel should've done Doyle or Wesley before Lorne.
I really wanted Trent from "Demon with a Glass Hand" from The Outer Limits.

The thing is, the other two figures (Pink and Brown, who have always been made by every company who has done "Dogs" figures) aren't a gamble. Everyone that bought all 3 would buy these two as well. I'm sure most people bought all 3 but there has to be 1 of them that sold the least. Take that number, make it the edition size for the other two and they'd sell out.

I bought all 3 but I haven't even opened them because the line feels incomplete.

But Buscemi and Tarantino would sell. I think as actors alone they could arguably outsell the other 3. I was shocked when they weren't announced with the rest.

It's ridiculous that there won't be a Mr. Pink. I would buy all four if they took that one extra step. They are the core of the film, and it makes zero sense to have three without the fourth.

Reality is most lines don't get completed, right now I'd say SW is about as close as it gets. Heck even the incredibly expansive World of Springfield Simpsons line was left incomplete; no Maude Flanders figure.

Although it is more a glaring issue when a real key character like Medieval F'n Kurgan or Dr. Frankenstein is missing.

So, how bad are the Palisades sculpts for Buscemi and Tarantino? Think they could be servicable with a good repaint?

The Tarrantino is decent, although a bit soft on detail. Still, I think he could work especially if you placed him a bit back from the rest. Not sure about Pink though.

Complete isn't even necessary. I can see how 'enough' would be different for some people, but I think it's hard to argue about what the true core of a property is. It seems like it would be to their advantage to not take on a license unless the integral characters could be guaranteed.

Lines like Star Wars or G.I.Joe are harder to gauge, but RD, Highlander, or others with less extensive casts seem obvious.

Reality is most lines don't get completed, right now I'd say SW is about as close as it gets. Heck even the incredibly expansive World of Springfield Simpsons line was left incomplete; no Maude Flanders figure.

Although it is more a glaring issue when a real key character like Medieval F'n Kurgan or Dr. Frankenstein is missing.

Don't remind me. I was a HUGE WoS fan. Had 99% of them. I was really bummed we never got Maude or the last Treehouse of Horror set :monkey2

As for these doggies, I'd say they are gift card worthy buys.

the biggest waste from this line is the fact that resources were obviously pulled away from other lines to work on these when they could have been used to devlop more figures from existing slow lines that are more popular. like, i dont know, indy, LOTR, GI JOE...etc. SS is spreading itself too thin IMO.

I disagree... I'm happy to see Sideshow diversify and make figures from different and less prominent licenses. LOTR languishing seems to be more of its own issue than other products taking away from it.

Even though Shaun and Ed didn't set the collecting world on fire I was sure happy to get them.

So, how bad are the Palisades sculpts for Buscemi and Tarantino? Think they could be servicable with a good repaint?

I've only seen pix of the Sideshow versions, but I like the Palisades ones better, and am very glad to have them in my collection at $40 less per figure.

The first SSC 1/6 figures I haven't bought in about 4 years.

I wouldn't count on any more.

Back