Repaints and customs by icruise

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icruise

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm still new here and also new to the world of 1/6th scale figures, although I've definitely been making up for lost time in the last couple of months. I've started doing some repaints and customs now, so I thought I would put them all in a unified thread. Some of these have been posted in other threads earlier, so bear with me if you've already seen some of them.

My first try at a repaint was Masterpiece Anakin Skywalker. He's pretty much just a straight repaint of the head. I also used Sideshow Anakin's lightsaber.

Here is the original Hasbro paint job:

Anakin_0.jpg

And here is my repaint:

Anakin_3.jpg

Anakin_2.jpg

Anakin_1.jpg

Last edited:
The main reason I wanted to practice on Anakin was to repaint Faramir, which is the worst paintjob of any Sideshow figure I have, partially because it's technically not very good and partially because they chose the wrong hair color by a mile.

Here is the original figure:

ss_faramir_repaint_3.jpg

And here is my repaint:

ss_faramir_repaint2_1.jpg

ss_faramir_repaint2_2.jpg

ss_faramir_repaint2_3.jpg

During Spooktacular, I used my Readiness Kit gift card to buy a Buffy Xander figure when they had him at 50%. My idea was to make a figure of myself. His hair was pretty similar to mine (although the wrong color) and I figured I could alter his face to match mine well enough. I kind of have a thing about posting my picture online, so you're not going to be able to tell how good the likeness is, but it's close enough.

I fattened up the face a bit using sculpey and then added the beard. I used the padding from the Sideshow Hunchback figure to pad my stomach area, because I am unfortunately not quite as buff as the Sideshow Buck body. I also made an accessory for myself out of some plastic card -- my iPhone (which I love).

Here is the original face:

ss_xander.jpg

And here's... me.

icruise_custom2.jpg

icruise_custom1.jpg

icruise_custom3.jpg

Last edited:
The Sideshow T-1000 figure has a pretty solid sculpt and costume, but they really dropped the ball on it overall. They made the metal arms the exclusive (which makes the regular edition pretty much just a guy in a cop uniform) and they ignored the possibility for alternate heads. One of these was of course the "shot through the head" version. I'm not a sculptor, but this seemed within the realm of possibility for me to do as a custom. I got a John Doggett head in a lot of stuff from another person on the board, so this seemed like the perfect time to try this. Here is the original head:

t1000_custom_1.jpg

I first cut off his right ear so I could use it later and then used a dremel to hollow out the side of his face.

t1000_custom_2.jpg

t1000_custom_3.jpg

I sculpted the main part of the hole out of epoxy putty for strength, and then used Fimo modeling clay to do the details like wrinkles and hair. I could've probably done it all in epoxy putty, but I'm not as familiar with it. The green on his face is intentional. I had to fill in a couple of places where the dremel slipped.

t1000_custom_4.jpg

t1000_custom_5.jpg

And finally the painted head:

t1000_custom_10.jpg

t1000_custom_11.jpg

Last edited:
Great work icruise!!! Love the custom figure of yourself! :rock Looking forward to seeing more of your work. :D

After looking at the first photos of the dremeled out head I wasnt sure how this was going to turn out. After looking at the final piece I think it turned out great. Very nice job sculpting.

Where can you purchase the epoxy putty and how fast does it dry? Fantastic work BTW!

Where can you purchase the epoxy putty and how fast does it dry? Fantastic work BTW!

I got mine from a hobby shop that specializes in role playing games and tabletop wargames like Warhammer. Games Workshop sells the same stuff, but they charge a lot more for it. It comes in a strip of blue and yellow putty that you mix together. I'm not sure exactly how long it takes to harden, but it gets hard enough that you can't really work with it in about half an hour. It takes several more hours to completely harden. A lot people who sculpt miniatures for a living apparently use it as their main medium.

I'll be posting another project that I sculpted entirely with epoxy putty in a few days. I'm getting to like it pretty well, since you don't have to use heat to harden, and it's quite strong.

Here is the first of several Hellboy customs that I am working on. As you may know, the Sideshow Nazi Kroenen figure is the most expensive of Hellboy figures on the secondary market. The last couple that sold on ebay brought around $200. I can't justify paying that much, and it occurred to me that it should actually be a pretty easy figure to make yourself, since there are so many 1/6th scale WWII figures out there. So I bought some stuff from ToyAnxiety.com and War-toys.com and (with a few modifications) I now have my own Nazi Kroenen. I actually think it looks better than the official figure.

diy_nazi_kroenen1.jpg
diy_nazi_kroenen3.jpg

diy_nazi_kroenen2.jpg

diy_nazi_kroenen4.jpg

I had to modify the hat so it would fit on his helmeted head. I cut open the band and added an extra band made of vinyl leather. I made the two belts out of strips of this same vinyl leather, using the buckles from Kroenen's original outfit. I also used one of his original knives, but painted the sheath black and added some metal fittings with epoxy putty. Aside from that, all I did was to remove the shoulder boards from both the jacket and trenchcoat and add the patches to the collars of his inner jacket. The Panzer trench coat is actually a very dark green, which shows up if you put the figure in sunlight, but otherwise it matches pretty well. Unfortunately, it's too small for him to wear over his other clothes, so I went with an "over the shoulders" look which I think works pretty well. I also needed to use one of Darth Maul's hands because the normal Kroenen hands couldn't hold the luger pistol.

If anyone wants to know what I used, here is the parts list. It came to a little over $30 without shipping. Of course, there are probably better alternatives for some of these things, and I can't guarantee that you can get the same parts that I used, since these places have limited stock.

Toy Anxiety
ITPT Panzer Trench Coat $3.99
Johann Sigel Patches $2.99
Sideshow Angel Leather Pants $4.99

War-Toys.com
Balthasar Bobby Woll | Pistol w/Holster $2.25
ITPT Von Rudstedt | Ironcross $0.45
Vassily | Leather Jacket $9.95
Willi Bauer | Hat $7.95

Last edited:
Great job on the T-1000 head, and the paint job looks great, too bad it didn't originally come with a alternate head like the one you made.

Here is my Professor Broom custom. This is what he looks like, in case you didn't know:

broom1.jpg

And here is my version:

broom4.jpg

broom2.jpg

broom3.jpg

broom5.jpg

I made him a rosary by painting one of those ball-and-chain things that you use to attach luggage tags and sculpted the cross from epoxy putty. I made his cane from a piece of wooden doweling and added epoxy putty fittings at both ends. It came out surprisingly well. His glasses are from a WWII figure. I got them separately from war-toys.com.

The body is mostly just the Sideshow Buffy Giles figure, but with a white shirt instead of the grey one it comes with. The head itself is an extensively reworked Sideshow head with some parts dremelled away and others added with epoxy putty. Can anyone tell what the original head I used for this was?

Back