Action Figure Repainted AOU Titan Hero Hulkbuster

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone use any primer before painting? Or did you just clean the figure and begin painting? Just want to know how much prep is needed before getting started.

Did anyone use any primer before painting? Or did you just clean the figure and begin painting? Just want to know how much prep is needed before getting started.

I used primer, because I didn't want the cherry red paint to flake off the plastic. I used ironmann's instruction and paint recommendations. So far I've been really impressed with the turn out.

I'm picking up one of these figures/toys on my way home from work today; I'm model builder so I'll give it a try too. The problem with my projects is I'm a detail freak and have already been going over pics to see what improvements I could make. The molded-in shoulder guards may have to be worked a little.

I used primer, because I didn't want the cherry red paint to flake off the plastic. I used ironmann's instruction and paint recommendations. So far I've been really impressed with the turn out.
Where can I find the inastructions ....I had to go to 3 targets to finally find one ...last one on the shelf aswell.

I've seen these at Target but was wondering if they're available at Wal-Mart, that's where I was planning to stop?

Ordered mine from Amazon last night. Just trying to figure out how much work I want to put in and what to use for the red. Prefer spray can. Also anxious to see how people are incorporating the LEDs as that would be a great touch.

Walmart should have it ...Amazon is good if you have prime...otherwise is cheaper in the stores $38.86

Re: Repainted Titan Hero Hulkbuster

Thanks guys! No, that's all dry brushed.

Nice work. You mention Krylon Cherry Red which is a spray paint so for those wanting to try:

- Primer: spray over all
- Krylon Cherry Red: spray over all
- Gold & silver panels: Tamiya acrylics brush detailing
- Black panel joins: Gundam marker
- Weathering: Tamiya silver acrylic drybrush
- Grime: diluted black acrylic wash then rubbed off
- Satin clear coat: spray all over

That's my guess anyways.

Well, I have to commend ironmann for a job well done. I stopped by Target this evening and couldn't pull the trigger on the toy because the detail was so soft, it definitely looks better in pics. I'm gonna have to think on this to see if I wanna go there. I love the Hulkbuster design and doubt I'll be able to afford the HT release; I'm not sure how to get an example in my collection that would satisfy my desire for the detail.

Well, I have to commend ironmann for a job well done. I stopped by Target this evening and couldn't pull the trigger on the toy because the detail was so soft, it definitely looks better in pics. I'm gonna have to think on this to see if I wanna go there. I love the Hulkbuster design and doubt I'll be able to afford the HT release; I'm not sure how to get an example in my collection that would satisfy my desire for the detail.

What about the Koto statue?

There's that and the ninth scale by Dragon, which looks very well done and will probably be pricey. The head-down pose sucks though...I Was hoping Dragon would release a plastic model.

Re: Repainted Titan Hero Hulkbuster

Nice work. You mention Krylon Cherry Red which is a spray paint so for those wanting to try:

- Primer: spray over all
- Krylon Cherry Red: spray over all
- Gold & silver panels: Tamiya acrylics brush detailing
- Black panel joins: Gundam marker
- Weathering: Tamiya silver acrylic drybrush
- Grime: diluted black acrylic wash then rubbed off
- Satin clear coat: spray all over

That's my guess anyways.

THIS helps out tremendously. Thank you so much for the help!

Also, I'm not sure how critical this really is but any time you repaint something plastic like this, you're supposed to scrub it down first with something like dish soap and a tooth brush. When it's made, they spray a releasing agent on the mold so that it comes out easier. Some of that is still on the plastic and the paint (supposedly) doesn't stick as well if you don't scrub it off first.

I always do it, but I don't know if you'd have problems or not if you skipped that step. I'd rather not go through all of the trouble just to have the paint flake off, so it's worth the 10 minutes of scrubbing.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I'm going to swing into Walmart (ugh) today and pick one up. It looks like a fun project.

Back