Red Sonja She-Devil with a Sword PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this piece is amazing. I think the only thing that pushes it a bit for me is the guts...it's cool but as an artist myself...I'd always error on the side of making sure something covers things for as many collectors (key word, this isn't personal work) so that people will get the piece.

it's not totally a deal killer...but I would have zero doubts if they'd still had the decapitated snake and maybe some other elements that filled that space where the raw guts are/

just my two bits...not right or wrong...but that really is the only thing where I go..hmm...maybe I should wait and find another bad ass female warrior...since Sideshow seems to clearly be raising their game on the sculpts.

past that I thought from what I've seen...sideshow really came in pretty mellow this year...nothing knocked me out really, past this one.

this piece is amazing. I think the only thing that pushes it a bit for me is the guts...it's cool but as an artist myself...I'd always error on the side of making sure something covers things for as many collectors (key word, this isn't personal work) so that people will get the piece.

it's not totally a deal killer...but I would have zero doubts if they'd still had the decapitated snake and maybe some other elements that filled that space where the raw guts are/

just my two bits...not right or wrong...but that really is the only thing where I go..hmm...maybe I should wait and find another bad ass female warrior...since Sideshow seems to clearly be raising their game on the sculpts.

past that I thought from what I've seen...sideshow really came in pretty mellow this year...nothing knocked me out really, past this one.

I've heard this from a few people in various forums, and that's a completely valid complaint and/or turn off for some. Personally, I love the slaughtered snake completely destroyed at her feet. Red Sonja comics are usually pretty damn violent, so her just marching through a bloody snake carcass that she just opened up is pretty awesome! I really love statues that tell an entire story from head to base!

It's all personal taste, and if the guts turn you off enough, then waiting may be your best option. I mean, it's a superb sculpt all around, but if you can't enjoy it due to snake guts laying all around her, then I'm sure more warrior women will appear in the future! Shard is a perfect example of that. Even though she does nothing for me, she's really well sculpted and has a great presence. Plus, warrior women are never poor sellers! :lol

I've heard this from a few people in various forums, and that's a completely valid complaint and/or turn off for some. Personally, I love the slaughtered snake completely destroyed at her feet. Red Sonja comics are usually pretty damn violent, so her just marching through a bloody snake carcass that she just opened up is pretty awesome! I really love statues that tell an entire story from head to base!

It's all personal taste, and if the guts turn you off enough, then waiting may be your best option. I mean, it's a superb sculpt all around, but if you can't enjoy it due to snake guts laying all around her, then I'm sure more warrior women will appear in the future! Shard is a perfect example of that. Even though she does nothing for me, she's really well sculpted and has a great presence. Plus, warrior women are never poor sellers! :lol

I love the snake and guts but I have to admit it can be a bit much to some. Not sure I want this on display at home where my young girls can see it. I could display it at work but a couple of my coworkers are actually pretty sensitive to this sort of thing. They are really cool people but just don't enjoy guts, zombies, blood, gore, etc.

right and I am not ultra sensitive about violence or gore normally...but my eye does get a bit stuck down there looking at all that stuff when the statue itself is such a major home run...I almost wish it was just painted darker....like it was lit (maybe in a dungeon or tomb) and went more deep maroon then say daylight pink which obviously is how it would look in a well lit room or outside.

like others have said...we are the small percent who break this stuff down and hash things out....it might be considered nit picking...but it's just our observations and reactions.

I am still like 80% sure I am going to get this.

:)

^ right on about the eyes getting stuck down there. Wasnt crazy about the face closeups but at certain angles and at a distance I was thinking she was growing on me... then my eyes hit the base lol. Im not really sure how she would have cleaned those ribs off with a sword, seems more like it got mauled. To me I find it more of a distraction then gross, but displaying it around my family also isnt gonna work. Hope it comes out great though- from the few pics I saw, Vampi is indistinguishable from the proto. Maybe SS is upping their game.

Lol at criticizing this statue. This is like hitting a homerun and some fan yells 'you didn't hit it far enough!!' omg lol

Actually, the gory base IS a legitimate issue for some. Creatively and viscerally, it's absolutely perfect and matches the raw, audacious flavor of the piece. Bravo! But it also happens to be - in a word - disgusting, which perhaps limits where such a statue can be displayed in the home. For those of us who enjoy having blood, guts and gore on full display in their living rooms, with little interest in how this makes less excessive spouses, children or random visitors feel, there's no problem. Personally, I have many wild things in my living room... but I have to admit, something this aggressively gross does indeed cross the line. It makes much more sense to put it in my "mad wizard" office, which is overflowing with crazy **** -- "this is insane!" being a typical reaction. Nothing against the execution of this magnificent piece, mind you... but a little thought does have to be put into where such an over-the-top bloody creation can be displayed. Otherwise you may have to provide vomit bags for your living room guests!

I love the snake and guts but I have to admit it can be a bit much to some. Not sure I want this on display at home where my young girls can see it. I could display it at work but a couple of my coworkers are actually pretty sensitive to this sort of thing. They are really cool people but just don't enjoy guts, zombies, blood, gore, etc.

The workplace would be sensitive to the guts and gore........ but not the underboobage? :dunno

Lol at criticizing this statue. This is like hitting a homerun and some fan yells 'you didn't hit it far enough!!' omg lol

With me its like they hit a homerun but the ball hit grandma in the head and her brains are splattered all over the scoreboard :lol

Still a homerun, just a slightly messier one lol

The workplace would be sensitive to the guts and gore........ but not the underboobage? :dunno

Exactly. That's what sort of amazes me about the too violent talk. It ignores the overt sexual nature of this character/piece.

Random, and probably a small issue, but the only thing that throws the statue for me is the bit of blood running down her forehead. I think it is appropriate everywhere else on the statue, and her being Red Sonja, this is expected, but it's just a shame to ruin that face sculpt with what looks like a cheesy stream of red paint running down her head. Anyone else notice that?

Yeah, I couldn't figure out if it was a strand of hair or blood :huh

My only nitpick with the piece as well. It does look a bit awkward. Not sure if it's blood or hair. If it's a strand of hair, it doesn't flow well with the rest of her hair. But man, this is such a minor thing. I have no problems with the piece as is but I think it would look better if that red strand of something just wasn't there.

It's hair.

:lol:lol:lol :exactly:

Hey now, there was CLEARLY too much praise going on for a Sideshow thread! It would've marked the end of the world, or an oncoming Four Horsemen arrival had complaints not started popping up. :lol

It's true though. If the gore doesn't work for you, then the statue just isn't for you. It's like tearing a page right out of a Red Sonja comic to have that all at her feet. As I said before, the base helps tell an entire story in a single sculpture, and that's part of what makes it so awesome.

and I agree....again coming from an artist point of view and someone who does a lot of horror...you can have a decapitation etc and still do it in a stylish way

anyway this is about the ONLY thing from comic con which is on my almost must have list...I think it's bad ass!

when I find myself hunting down every photo and video on youtube etc....you got my interest and this piece DID mainly based on how well done the figure is both in pose, anatomy, and the killer paint job...here's to hoping it all translates into an amazing run and statue for people to own!

Actually, the gory base IS a legitimate issue for some. Creatively and viscerally, it's absolutely perfect and matches the raw, audacious flavor of the piece. Bravo! But it also happens to be - in a word - disgusting, which perhaps limits where such a statue can be displayed in the home. For those of us who enjoy having blood, guts and gore on full display in their living rooms, with little interest in how this makes less excessive spouses, children or random visitors feel, there's no problem. Personally, I have many wild things in my living room... but I have to admit, something this aggressively gross does indeed cross the line. It makes much more sense to put it in my "mad wizard" office, which is overflowing with crazy **** -- "this is insane!" being a typical reaction. Nothing against the execution of this magnificent piece, mind you... but a little thought does have to be put into where such an over-the-top bloody creation can be displayed. Otherwise you may have to provide vomit bags for your living room guests!

well put!

I speculated on this elsewhere, and people vehemently disagreed with me. But I KNOW you and the other several people here are not the only ones that have reservations about the gorey base.

That is one reason I honestly believe that we'll see a more mild variant of this- probably without any kind of slaughtered creature. The figure sculpt of Sonja alone is a superior piece of work and I don't think SS is going to be content using it on a one off piece. Especially when a more generic base variant will be more displayable by more people (think just a general mossy stone platform with Hyborina hieroglyphics or maybe a skeleton or dry bones).

Not 100% sure this will happen, but I would be willing to be money by the end of the decade we'll see a second statue. And if it's done well enough and the color choices are good, I could easily imagine people that love this as it is right now, actually wanting to sell theirs and get the new one.

I'd say if the ES on this is relatively low (in relation to the enthusiasm for it which is the highest of anything coming out of SDCC this year from SS), then it would seem a lock to me we'll get a less gorey variant down the road. SS is going to milk this sculpt one way or the other. Either a huge ES to start or variants.

It's interesting that so many people are turned off by the base. I hate gore and I always have. I can't stand the sight of blood and I get squeamish and avert my eyes when I see blood and guts on TV or in the movies. But this base triggers no reaction in me. It's just... a base.

(That said, I wouldn't mind if the base was altered if only to reduce the ultimate price tag this piece will carry!)

Exactly. That's what sort of amazes me about the too violent talk. It ignores the overt sexual nature of this character/piece.

I work at a game studio:lol it's funny cuz I am fine with gore and I sculpt nudity and gore daily(being on a zombie game) but my coworker can't stand gore:lol

Back