Ready Player One

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, I am really surprised by some of the negative reception towards this movie. I can see the skeptical view of thinking this is just a movie filled with pop culture references but the trailer clearly demonstrates it's going to have fun with those references. I wont' pretend to know if the plot will actually have any substance but it certainly looks like it has the potential to be a great time at the theater. Did people forget how to just have fun watching a movie?

You're surprised by the Negative Reception towards the movie on this Forum? These boards are full of Pessimists. ;p

You're surprised by the Negative Reception towards the movie on this Forum? These boards are full of Pessimists. ;p

I forget where I am sometimes. :p

To me the movie just screams "GOOD TIMES AHEAD!!!". A movie where the protagonists drive the BttF Delorean and Shotaro Kaneda's motorcycle. Where the Iron Giant has a significant role to play in a virtual reality world that I've dreamed of since I was a kid. Yeah, I'm there on opening day.

I forget where I am sometimes. :p

To me the movie just screams "GOOD TIMES AHEAD!!!". A movie where the protagonists drive the BttF Delorean and Shotaro Kaneda's motorcycle. Where the Iron Giant has a significant role to play in a virtual reality world that I've dreamed of since I was a kid. Yeah, I'm there on opening day.

Yup..

Did people forget how to just have fun watching a movie?

In all honesty, yes I have.

I don't know if it's just me getting older, or the movies getting dumber, but I have little to no patience for most Hollywood movies these days. They're predictable down to the exact beats in conversations, the music cues, everything.

If I know exactly what's going to happen and be said before it happens, I get very bored. I just can't sit through a movie that offers no surprises. And CGI still looks fake, weightless, and lifeless to me. In all it's forms. I know it's a great tool, but for almost 2 decades now, filmmakers are relying on it completely instead of using it wisely. There's not a single frame in this trailer that looks believable to me.

I know that's not a real Delorean. I know that's not a "real" Iron Giant. Since this is a video game reality, why not have him be animated like he was in the 1999 feature? If they wanted it to be "realistic" they didn't do a good job cause he's still a cartoon. If they built a 1:1 scale animatronic Iron Giant I'd have been impressed.

It's just noise and flashing colors. No substance, no meaning, no weight, no depth. So that was my long answer. The short answer is, yes, for me personally, I am no longer capable of just "turning my brain off and enjoying a dumb movie." I know millions of people enjoy doing so several times a year, but I just can't do it. I get bored. My mind wanders. A filmmaker needs to do something really unique and daring and original to keep my attention these days.

This actually looks different from what we usually get. It's not some big superhero cross over. Looks like a modern roger rabbit. But yea the movie forum is skeptical of everything not made in the 70s and 80s .

Spielberg has lost his touch, I've gotta say.

Yeah, 24 years ago :lol

His last pop culturally relevant film was 1993's Jurassic Park. That was his peak, along with his "dramatic" peak, Schindler's List, the same year.

From 1975 to 1993, as a director, Spielberg's contribution to pop culture was unparalleled with films like, Jaws, Close Encounter, Poltergeist, E.T., Raiders, Indy TOD, Indy TLC, Hook, and Jurassic Park.

As a producer he is still putting his name on all kinds of crap. As a director, he's made some ok films after 1993, but nothing like in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

I'm holding on to the kid in me for as long as I can...:drool

PAQG9mc.jpg

I think Spielberg still had it in 1998. I loved Saving Private Ryan. I know people didn't like the bookend scenes, but I still loved the movie.

Yeah, 24 years ago :lol

His last pop culturally relevant film was 1993's Jurassic Park. That was his peak, along with his "dramatic" peak, Schindler's List, the same year.

From 1975 to 1993, as a director, Spielberg's contribution to pop culture was unparalleled with films like, Jaws, Close Encounter, Poltergeist, E.T., Raiders, Indy TOD, Indy TLC, Hook, and Jurassic Park.

As a producer he is still putting his name on all kinds of crap. As a director, he's made some ok films after 1993, but nothing like in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

Saving Private Ryan :dunno

Lol I spot chucky and tracer and iron giant . Looks really cool actually

Back