Ready Player One

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this on Saturday, I like it a lot more than I thought. I thought the "'memba this?" aspect of this story would be gimmicky, they managed to interweave the nostalgia aspect well enough into the story that I didn't mind. But holly s--t could they not move the damn camera around so much? I felt like I needed some dramamine in the Oasis.

I do feel the criticism I heard that it feels like two different directors made this movie is valid. The Oasis parts were obviously not done to Spielberg standards.

I Loved how it moved in the Oasis. Esp in an IMAX Theater. Those low camera angles during the race scene really put you into the movie. You could tell Steven was having fun with his new Tech. I get chills every time Gundam transforms in mid air to that music and shoots down toward Mechagodzilla. :)

I Loved how it moved in the Oasis. Esp in an IMAX Theater. Those low camera angles during the race scene really put you into the movie. You could tell Steven was having fun with his new Tech. I get chills every time Gundam transforms in mid air to that music and shoots down toward Mechagodzilla. :)

It's good that you found those scenes enjoyable.
But for me the CGI Oasis scenes reeked of VFX excessive camera movement, which is common in CGI movies and not something I associate with Spielberg.
It's an example of a tool becoming more accessible and easier to overuse. It's like when the Avid became available to editors, so the next thing you see is movies over edited to the point of ruining what could've been a great movie.
Too much of anything can be bad.

I have to be honest I didn't notice excessive camera movements at all.. and normally I do (like in the first Hunger Games movie.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have to be honest I didn't notice excessive camera movements at all.. and normally I do (like in the first Hunger Games movie.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I didn't notice any either.... And I've watch this movie like 6 times already :)

I also saw it recently cause I missed it in the theater, and I really enjoyed it! I could nitpick some parts, but overall the good is more memorable than any "flaws". It was long, but it didn't feel like it at all by the end. Sad that the merchandise is so sparse, would've loved 1/6 figures of at least the leads and Ben Mendelsohn lol, both real life and Oasis versions.

Last edited:
Once I got past the initial “bummerness” of the movie being so different from the book and just decided to watch it on its own merits it was much more fun. I am now even ok with the couple big things that kind of make me think Spielberg is definitely NOT a video game player. In the real world it would take about 2 days for somebody to decide to drive the car backwards just to see what would happen and anyone under 20 in the 80’s would have known the Adventure “dot” the second they knew what the last challenge was yet those “Brainiac’s” at IOI couldn’t figure it out right away.

In the real world it would take about 2 days for somebody to decide to drive the car backwards just to see what would happen

I felt the same way.. I remember I went backwards on Metroid the first time I picked up that game, I think I was 8 at the time... There are games where you wont be able to clear if you didn't go in reverse order. But I do appreciate they added that as a nod to retro gaming.

--

Last edited:
I felt the same way.. I remember I went backwards on Metroid the first time I picked up that game, I think I was 8 at the time... There are games where you wont be able to clear if you didn't go in reverse order. But I do appreciate they added that as a nod to retro gaming.

--

Absolutely, it's just another easter egg

I've never read the book so I don't know anything about it and I enjoyed this movie. There were some slow spots, and the ending dragged on more than it should, but it was entertaining. It felt like watching those 5 minute movies you see before game play.

I've never read the book so I don't know anything about it and I enjoyed this movie. There were some slow spots, and the ending dragged on more than it should, but it was entertaining. It felt like watching those 5 minute movies you see before game play.

You did it the right way. I think its better to see the movie first and enjoy it for what it is rather than what I did and keep comparing it to the book. If you liked the movie I think you will really enjoy the book. Other than the character names and the 3 key premise its COMPLETELY different than the movie and has a lot more good classic 80’s references.

You did it the right way. I think its better to see the movie first and enjoy it for what it is rather than what I did and keep comparing it to the book. If you liked the movie I think you will really enjoy the book. Other than the character names and the 3 key premise its COMPLETELY different than the movie and has a lot more good classic 80’s references.

yeah I'm going to read the book now that I've seen the movie.... Although the author of the book did help write the screenplay. I'm sure they had to change the story a lot due to trying to cram it into a 2 hour movie..

tried to watch this last night ,had to turn it off pretty quick ,got as far as the kid going into oasis for the first time in the film , and was hit with motion sickness :panic:

had to shut it down and was unwell for a hour or so after :thud:

just me :dunno

im not in good health generally with a heart condition , and used to get the same thing watching my kids play on their video games and home movies that moved around a lot :lol

shame it looked a good flick from the trailer :dunno

tried to watch this last night ,had to turn it off pretty quick ,got as far as the kid going into oasis for the first time in the film , and was hit with motion sickness :panic:

had to shut it down and was unwell for a hour or so after :thud:

just me :dunno

im not in good health generally with a heart condition , and used to get the same thing watching my kids play on their video games and home movies that moved around a lot :lol

shame it looked a good flick from the trailer :dunno

That's a bummer.... You should try reading the book, I hear the story is a bit better then the movie version...

Back