Rate The Last Game You FINISHED..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never Alone (PS4) - 8.5/10

a Really fun Game to take a break from all those shooting games ..

pick it up while it's Free on PSN!

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Sony PlayStation 2)

After having discussed the game in brief in the Metal Gear Solid thread, I decided to revisit it for the first time in nearly a decade. While far from perfect, I still consider the game's storyline, characters, and social commentary to be unmatched (however contrived on occasion). The combat remains touchy as well, and I found myself periodically stumbling through the game's action sequences. Nevertheless, this game is a favourite of mine and will probably always be.

9/10

MGS2 is not only my favorite Metal Gear, but also my favorite game of all time. It was such a daring move that made the game much more than the sum of its' parts. Kojima could have easily made a self congratulatory sequel but instead gave us one of the most intentionally controversial narratives in gaming. Like it or hate it, no other Metal Gear game since has even come close to match its' brilliance.

Uh, wait, why not play the HD version?

MGS 2 was definitely the most layered game in the series. I've never watched the Easter Egg videos, but I feel like I'm always discovering something new with each consecutive playthrough.

MGS2 is so ridiculously underrated and under appreciated. It equally stands next to MGS1 for me, and in some aspects is a better game, while the reverse is true as well.

Metal Gear Solid (PS1) - 10/10

Nostalgia through the roof. Changed gaming on so many levels.

Now I'm onto Metal Gear Solid 2!

I've been lurking here for a while chaps. :duff

I notice Snake, that MGS1 on PS1 is still regarded pretty highly. I always knew about these games, but never got into them. I think I actually have a copy of the original MGS, I should get it out & start enjoying it. I've just never really been into military style games, that's why I avoid those FPS types like the plague. :lol

Btw - the PS1 is such an iconic console, so glad I hung onto mine & looked after it. Lot's of years of fun left in it. :rock

I notice Snake, that MGS1 on PS1 is still regarded pretty highly. I always knew about these games, but never got into them. I think I actually have a copy of the original MGS, I should get it out & start enjoying it. I've just never really been into military style games, that's why I avoid those FPS types like the plague. :lol

Btw - the PS1 is such an iconic console, so glad I hung onto mine & looked after it. Lot's of years of fun left in it. :rock

Well, on the surface, Metal Gear does present itself as a high-octane-military-shooter but that's just one of many things that makes the game great. What kind of games do you usually play?

As I've mentioned recently in other game threads here, I've been on & off into video games for the last 30 years or so, but not been a consistently 'in the loop gamer'. It's only in the last year or two that I've gotten back on board & been catching up with everything generally.

I'm really reconnecting with retro games these days, via OG consoles, or re-releases on the new consoles like the Ultimate Megadrive Collection for PS3. That said, I think the survival games are my fave. As well as the original Resident Evil 1 & 2, I started with the Tomb Raider games back in the 90s, adored them - & still do. I want to get the remastered versions of the older games for my PS3. I'm also currently playing through the 2009(?) Tomb Raider reboot / prequel installment - & LOVING it. :) I've gotta say though, I wasn't quite expecting it to be as confronting as it is in places. I know it's rated MA+ or whatever, but it didn't really occur to me till I got to certain points in the game where some events & sequences completely took me by surprise.

Anyway, I also own ALIEN: Isolation , so looking forward to getting into that too when I have the time. :rock

Hey man! It's a military game sure, but it's much more than that. It's the first game I can recall, that had a higher level of acting than anything else at the time and gave each individual character very indepth character development. The soundtrack is top rate too. I plead with you, play it :lol

The control scheme is archaic, but the experience makes up for it in droves.

My game smarts is pretty archaic too, so peas in a pod & all that. :lol

Let me clarify though, I wasn't dissing OG MGS. I do remember playing the demo back in the day, & I know it's more than just a shooter. I know it's got the stealth mission type vibe as well, & I dig that.

I should be honest actually, because I own a couple of the old 'Medal Of Honour' Games for PS1, & I really enjoyed one of them. I think it was the second one.. but I seriously can't play those types of games for very long.

Gotcha.

Anyway, speaking of my fondness for survival games, I've been thinking of getting 'The Last Of Us' for PS3 at some stage. Part of me is interested in the premise of the game & story - & therefore the game play too, but to be honest I'm not into the ultra gore aspect that these types of games tend to focus on. From what I understand, the game is a slow burner - which is great, but those frantic 'kill or be killed' moments I'm betting will unsettle me to no end - especially these newer gen graphics. :lol

Should I skip it? :lol

Hey man! It's a military game sure, but it's much more than that. It's the first game I can recall, that had a higher level of acting than anything else at the time and gave each individual character very indepth character development. The soundtrack is top rate too. I plead with you, play it :lol

The control scheme is archaic, but the experience makes up for it in droves.

My game smarts is pretty archaic too, so peas in a pod & all that. :lol

Let me clarify though, I wasn't dissing OG MGS. I do remember playing the demo back in the day, & I know it's more than just a shooter. I know it's got the stealth mission type vibe as well, & I dig that.

I should be honest actually, because I own a couple of the old 'Medal Of Honour' Games for PS1, & I really enjoyed one of them. I think it was the second one.. but I seriously can't play those types of games for very long.

What Plissken said. I think the MGS games (at least the first 3) are an absolute must play for any gamer. Just a brilliant series that should have ended there.

Yeah, the one set in WWII? I really enjoyed it.

The last MOH game I played was the PS2 one where you landed on Omaha beach during Normandy. It was so INTENSE!

Gotcha.

Anyway, speaking of my fondness for survival games, I've been thinking of getting 'The Last Of Us' for PS3 at some stage. Part of me is interested in the premise of the game & story - & therefore the game play too, but to be honest I'm not into the ultra gore aspect that these types of games tend to focus on. From what I understand, the game is a slow burner - which is great, but those frantic 'kill or be killed' moments I'm betting will unsettle me to no end - especially these newer gen graphics. :lol

The Last of Us doesn't have the best story ever told, but boy does it have the most compelling. Give it 10 minutes and you'll be dying to know how the story ends, regardless of what you might think of the gameplay. Give it a shot!

You might want to consider skipping it if tension and gore are deterrents. With that being said, the game is absolutely phenomenal and is absolutely worth your time and effort (the latter especially if you're required to practice some tolerance toward the aforesaid characteristics). The story is indeed a slow burn. The character and plot development, however understated, resonate long after the game is finished. Even if you do find it unsettling, it's absolutely worthwhile and one of my favourite games on the PlayStation 3/4. :D

:exactly:

I would add that it's highly recommended to get the PS4 if you have a PS4, it's just smoother and better looking. If not, the PS3 version is just fine.

Gotcha.

Get TLOU. It's the most compelling and riveting game made this decade. It's got a few years on it now, but I'd still put it up against just about everything and it would come out on top. It's a good long game too, my first playthrough was about 18 hours. It's one of the few games that deserved every single reward it got. I think it won about 200 or so.

Hey, thanks for the input folks! :duff

Yeah, from what I've seen, TLOU isn't just a gore fest. There's a great mix of story, characters & game play. I'll probably get it when it's cheap enough for PS3. Please though, hold your horses on the PS4 talk because I've only just entered the realm of PS3 gaming.. so I'm still very much a NOOB. :monkey3 :lol

Really, really, REALLY loving the Tomb Raider prequel right now. Not sure how far in I am atm hours wise, but I'm probably taking way longer than more seasoned gamers would. I'm just past the 'signal tower' section fyi..

Speaking of next Gen consoles, I'm looking forward to seeing what the Nintendo-X is gonna be like.

Back