Rambo: Last Blood [Rambo 5]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rambo: The Last Stand [Rambo 5]

If they did a version of "First Blood," you won't be picturing Stallone. ;) Stallone was a wuss compared to the Rambo in the novel. The point of the book was to flip the war, by having it waged in a small town with Rambo taking on the establishment. It's a war in the book; not the battle that was the movie. There is no hero in the novel and everyone is flawed. Obviously, Stallone took a completely different take of it which appealed to the masses in a different way than the book did.

But the character of Rambo is identified with Sly as much as the character of Kirk is identified with Shatner. (I mean JJ is basically getting Pine to act not like a character but like another actor.)

Stallone was a genius at making Superheroes in the 80s >_>

But the character of Rambo is identified with Sly as much as the character of Kirk is identified with Shatner. (I mean JJ is basically getting Pine to act not like a character but like another actor.)

Not a good comparison. Pine's Kirk IS a young Shatner's Kirk. That's the whole point of having Nemoy's Spock in the film, to remind us of that.

A better example would be recasting Indy or Han. Both of those characters ARE Harrison as much as he is them.

Not a good comparison. Pine's Kirk IS a young Shatner's Kirk. That's the whole point of having Nemoy's Spock in the film, to remind us of that.

A better example would be recasting Indy or Han. Both of those characters ARE Harrison as much as he is them.

Well the point was the character/actor, not the age of the character.

But like you said, Pine was molded into a young Shatner, they kept what Shatner established as Kirk. If Kirk were recast and redefined it would have bombed. Abrahms knew that and steered clear. My point though, if you redid Rocky or Rambo or Terminator, you'd have to cast and mold the actor to become Stallone or Schwarzenegger, they just defined the character for so many. Sure those characters are old and most kids wouldn't know Sly or Arnie to realize the new actors were nothing like them, but taking on a franchise is more than just redoing it for a new generation, it's going to be seen by the fandom as well and you can respect those people or ignore them, your call. I talk to Godzilla fans and those young enough to grow up on the American release of 98 think it was great and look down on the original films because of it, those who grew up on the originals look down on it because it turned its back on the origins. You can reboot a series for a new generation without turning a back to what came before yours, that's the magic of Abrahms' Star Trek.

Yeah no doubt the new Rambo would have to resemble a young Stallone or close enough.

Well the point was the character/actor, not the age of the character.

You're missing the point though. Your comparison's wrong. Pike's Kirk IS supposed to be acting like Shatner's Kirk. That's who he is, not just a rebooted James T. Kirk, he's a young version of William Shatner's James T. Kirk.

You're missing the point though. Your comparison's wrong. Pike's Kirk IS supposed to be acting like Shatner's Kirk. That's who he is.

I've missed you too. :rotfl I said he is supposed to be acting like Shatner. The whole point was when an actor defines a character to where no other actor really can be seen as that character. Star Trek has attempted it and succeeded in some people's opinion; Rambo has not tried it yet. To me, whether he's playing a young Shatner or and old Shatner, Shatner is Kirk. Pine is just a shadow of the Shat.

I think that's the point though, for someone to take on a character that the fandom has defined by the actor who played them, you have to pick up the nuances of the original actor and almost forget who you're looking at is a new actor. That's why the Trek cast succeeded, they mirrored the original actors traits so when you watch it, you go, oh that was so Spock, or totally McCoy.

The problem is, most reboots/remakes don't go for this, they redefine as well and that's what sets people off. If someone else played Rambo, but made it feel every bit like Stallone, it'd be fine, but if he took it in a whole new direction, people would be saying, that's not Rambo.

I think that's the point though, for someone to take on a character that the fandom has defined by the actor who played them, you have to pick up the nuances of the original actor and almost forget who you're looking at is a new actor. That's why the Trek cast succeeded, they mirrored the original actors traits so when you watch it, you go, oh that was so Spock, or totally McCoy.

The problem is, most reboots/remakes don't go for this, they redefine as well and that's what sets people off. If someone else played Rambo, but made it feel every bit like Stallone, it'd be fine, but if he took it in a whole new direction, people would be saying, that's not Rambo.

:exactly: One of the reasons the Bond reboot worked is because Craig's so reminiscent of Connery.

:exactly: One of the reasons the Bond reboot worked is because Craig's so reminiscent of Connery.

I still don't see that, and that's going by personality alone. Connery's Bond seemed to have a good time and kept his cool in every situation. Across 3 films, Craig's Bond is stone-faced and looks mad all the time.

I still don't see that, and that's going by personality alone. Connery's Bond seemed to have a good time and kept his cool in every situation. Across 3 films, Craig's Bond is stone-faced and looks mad all the time.

Clearly not as far as looks area concerned. But tonally and personality-wise, he does, especially from an origin standpoint. Once the next movie starts, since now all the foundations are complete, we should be seeing the character we knew with Connery's Bond.

That is 100% correct. Timothy Dalton in license to Kill also was reminiscent of Connery with grit. Brosnan and More so Moore never showed that quality. Agreed 100%

Roger Moore was the guy that had a good time as bond

Roger Moore was the guy that had a good time as bond
So did Connery. I just saw GOLDFINGER in 35mm, and there's a special energy Connery brings to the role that's still fun with audiences. While Craig has gotten more comfortable with the role in each film, he's just as clunky with the humor as Dalton (who I love,) The difference is that even Dalton knew how to smile and play up the vulnerability. To me, Daniel Craig is a terminator in a tux; Which works for his take. I'm not judging. Just not a lot in common with Connery's swaggering, charisma filled, aggressive, date-rapist playboy (at least to me.)

Craig was more reminiscent of Dalton than Connery. Imo. Here's got a more rutheless nature, though Dalton had soe good quips and smiles compared to Craig

Connery, Moore and Brosnan had lots of moments where they were funny, in a dry sense

So did Connery. I just saw GOLDFINGER in 35mm, and there's a special energy Connery brings to the role that's still fun with audiences. While Craig has gotten more comfortable with the role in each film, he's just as clunky with the humor as Dalton (who I love,) The difference is that even Dalton knew how to smile and play up the vulnerability. To me, Daniel Craig is a terminator in a tux; Which works for his take. I'm not judging. Just not a lot in common with Connery's swaggering, charisma filled, aggressive, date-rapist playboy (at least to me.)

Granted Connery had a couple of moments but not even close to Brosnan and Roger Moore. He had tons more grit when needed. dalton without a doubt had potential and License to kill proved it. I actually liked George Lazenby too, he brought out some sensitive emotion that Connery didnt. I enjoyed the theme(only one with no vocals I believe). I was young when I saw it in 68 I think and remember my father saying when we left the theater "He's different, but I like em" the other actors in that film were great too. GL did a great job acting for a guy that just came from the street

Last edited:

Granted Connery had a couple of moments but not even close to Brosnan and Roger Moore. He had tons more grit when needed.

Sean Connery literally invented the action hero oneliner. People seem to forget the "Roger Moore Camp" really started with DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, and was an extension of Guy Hamilton's style from GOLDFINGER. Connery was a burly dude with presence, and came off like a real tough guy who was polished into this suave agent. But he always played his cool and was on top of the situation without being hotheaded (like Dalton,) or cold (like Craig). Moore and Brosnan only carried over the most memorable aspects of what Connery started, namely charisma and humor.

By contrast, Fleming's original character is a blank slate with very little personality. The Bond the vast majority of people know and love was invented by Terence Young, Richard Maibaum and Connery in 1962.

Sean Connery literally invented the action hero oneliner. People seem to forget the "Roger Moore Camp" really started with DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, and was an extension of Guy Hamilton's style from GOLDFINGER. Connery was a burly dude with presence, and came off like a real tough guy who was polished into this suave agent. But he always played his cool and was on top of the situation without being hotheaded (like Dalton,) or cold (like Craig). Moore and Brosnan only carried over the most memorable aspects of what Connery started, namely charisma and humor.

By contrast, Fleming's original character is a blank slate with very little personality. The Bond the vast majority of people know and love was invented by Terence Young, Richard Maibaum and Connery in 1962.

That's essentially what I'm trying to say. These last 3 movies have been Bond's growing pains. With this next film, we should start seeing the suave agent Connery played so effortlessly.

Was wondering what happened to this thread and read back previous posts.

Craig as rambo?
No f'ing way.
That boy is so dry he makes crackers cry:)

Post above made me lol.
Date-rapist:rotfl
Spot on.
And if the charm don't work he gets angry and brings out the rohypnol.
Connery is scum:lol

Back