Rambo: Last Blood [Rambo 5]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rambo: The Last Stand [Rambo 5]

Stuntman Mike was such a excellent role, brought me back to good ol 80's Kurt films. Kurt has handled his career well and never became washed up I don't think.

Sly is very washed up and over and Arnie is embarrassing himself.

Kurt was wise to turn down EX2 (and maybe EX3) and take the FAF7 or 8 part.

Kurt was wise to turn down EX2 (and maybe EX3) and take the FAF7 or 8 part.

I remember he was pissed off that they were considering casting Butler to play Plissken because Plissken is a quintessential American character, and I agree it needs to be an all American playing the part.

I remember he was pissed off that they were considering casting Butler to play Plissken because Plissken is a quintessential American character, and I agree it needs to be an all American playing the part.

It's another remake that does not need to be done.

Agreed. Remaking it will only being siphoning money with a ****ty subpar film compared to the original. And as dumb as movie goers are, it will probably make a killing :mad:

I think that remake is forever in development hell thankfully.

I don't think it would play out well in today's world anyways. It was a cult movie back then and still is a cult movie.

It's full of that sweet smelling 80s grit, but like you said it doesn't jive with today.

He is potentially bringing Rocky back already. I forget the details but there's a project to make a film about Apollo's son and going to Rocky for teaching. I think it's a horrible idea on many levels but it's getting buzz.

I don't see any more Rocky films being done and would not consider this part of the series.

As far as how his films are doing, I don't see him going back to Rocky or Rambo to have success, I think he's well aware, especially with Rocky, how bad choices and ruin the franchise and he doesn't want to do that again. I think at this point, he's just doing movies that he thinks would be fun or believes in the story and if they succeed great, if they just do ok, oh well. I think he's past worrying about his success, I think he wants to revitalize the action genre while he still can and go out doing what he enjoys rather than just giving up early.

Has he forgotten that's pretty much the plot to Rocky 5?

Says the man who wants them to remake Rambo. :thwak

Says the man who wants them to remake Rambo. :thwak

They want to remake it anyways; I'd just prefer one closer to the actual novel, before he went all Superman in "after death" sequels.

I think we're safe from seeing a full on Rocky film, but Rambo is always a risk, Sly really likes the character. In all his post Rocky 6 interviews, he's always spoken that he feels the character's arc is over and there's nothing left to really explore. With Rambo, right after the 4th came out he was saying he wasn't sure he was ready to completely walk away. I have no doubt he could do more sequels that were good films, my objection to future Rambos is that 4 was crafted to end it, it did so wonderfully, so at this point, it's hard to imagine a story that could satisfyingly justify eliminating 4 as the end of the series. If 4 ended open where it could end or continue, I wouldn't care, but that ending was so specifically crafted to tie the 1st and 4th films and make a solidifed story, even a well made move would just feel like it's trying to force the character to go on.

It's not his project, he's just been approached about reprising the character. He probably figures since it's not a Rocky film, even though it's those characters, fans probably won't care. Plus, the plot of Rocky 5 wasn't it's undoing, it could actually be a good plot in it's most simplified concept, it was the execution that sucked, going full-retard with Rocky really was it's downfall, you can't take the heroic underdog and just utterly debilitate him like that and have people feel ok about it. Sure beatings like he took could probably do that to a person, but realism isn't a good choice when it ruins the image of a character like that, after Rocky 4, he really solidified himself as an idol to many, such a bleak outcome was just too far. Rocky Balboa had a great balance of sending his life down a dark road with a proper light at the end of the tunnel.

I think we're safe from seeing a full on Rocky film, but Rambo is always a risk, Sly really likes the character. In all his post Rocky 6 interviews, he's always spoken that he feels the character's arc is over and there's nothing left to really explore. With Rambo, right after the 4th came out he was saying he wasn't sure he was ready to completely walk away. I have no doubt he could do more sequels that were good films, my objection to future Rambos is that 4 was crafted to end it, it did so wonderfully, so at this point, it's hard to imagine a story that could satisfyingly justify eliminating 4 as the end of the series. If 4 ended open where it could end or continue, I wouldn't care, but that ending was so specifically crafted to tie the 1st and 4th films and make a solidifed story, even a well made move would just feel like it's trying to force the character to go on.

I think that's why the talk of a tv series or remake keeps popping up. I would be happy to have 4 be the last Rambo anything. But if they have to remake, it would be interesting to see the novel version of Rambo. Of course casting would be problematic.

I think that's why the talk of a tv series or remake keeps popping up. I would be happy to have 4 be the last Rambo anything. But if they have to remake, it would be interesting to see the novel version of Rambo. Of course casting would be problematic.

Where have you seen talk about a tv series?

Given that Sleepy Hollow is now a TV series and Hannibal, it seems innevitable that in today's Hollywood, the likes of Rocky, Rambo, and Terminator are doomed to see remakes or poorly crafted TV series to develop. I'm not the type of fan to think doing such a thing ruins the movies I love, you can remake Rambo if you want, I'll think poorly of the new version, but it doesn't change what I feel about the predecessors. Devlin and Emmerich spat on Godzilla and I love that franchise as much as ever.

I just don't see how you can redo something where the actor playing the role was as key to defining the character as the script. Anthony Hopkins IS Hannibal Lecter for me, I will not watch anything without him in the role, Rocky and Rambo are Stallone, Terminator is Arnold, though I applaud the way T4 handled continuing that story without Arnold, but to try and put some other person in Arnold's exact character would not work.

Where have you seen talk about a tv series?

Given that Sleepy Hollow is now a TV series and Hannibal, it seems innevitable that in today's Hollywood, the likes of Rocky, Rambo, and Terminator are doomed to see remakes or poorly crafted TV series to develop. I'm not the type of fan to think doing such a thing ruins the movies I love, you can remake Rambo if you want, I'll think poorly of the new version, but it doesn't change what I feel about the predecessors. Devlin and Emmerich spat on Godzilla and I love that franchise as much as ever.

I just don't see how you can redo something where the actor playing the role was as key to defining the character as the script. Anthony Hopkins IS Hannibal Lecter for me, I will not watch anything without him in the role, Rocky and Rambo are Stallone, Terminator is Arnold, though I applaud the way T4 handled continuing that story without Arnold, but to try and put some other person in Arnold's exact character would not work.

I agree to an extent, but Shatner was always Kirk, and now so many embrace Pine as Kirk. Same for the other cast members. As for Hannibal, the tv incarnation to me is very good. And Hopkins wasn't even the first Lecter, but he did resonate well.

This is why he needs to put Rambo's demise on the big screen. It was supposed to happen in the first one, but since it didn't, it's the missing piece. Personally, it'd be great to see him go back and face the Mujaheddin (now Al Qaeda) in Afghanistan to rescue Trautman's son, who's a captured Green Beret. Do an emotional story where the main antagonist is the kid who he gave the necklace to in III. Have a cyclical story arc and end Stallone's run as Rambo on a deep, emotional note. Then reboot it with someone new who'll cater to the tweens and their EMO fantasies (likely the werewolf dude from Twilight). At least those who've enjoyed it will have closure with someone who embodied the character 100%.

It's not his project, he's just been approached about reprising the character. He probably figures since it's not a Rocky film, even though it's those characters, fans probably won't care. Plus, the plot of Rocky 5 wasn't it's undoing, it could actually be a good plot in it's most simplified concept, it was the execution that sucked, going full-retard with Rocky really was it's downfall, you can't take the heroic underdog and just utterly debilitate him like that and have people feel ok about it. Sure beatings like he took could probably do that to a person, but realism isn't a good choice when it ruins the image of a character like that, after Rocky 4, he really solidified himself as an idol to many, such a bleak outcome was just too far. Rocky Balboa had a great balance of sending his life down a dark road with a proper light at the end of the tunnel.

Still though, it's a little too close. As you said, I thought Balboa was a nice end to the story. He came out of retirement to fight a last fight and deliver the message that boxing is corrupt as hell. Doing another kinda undoes that message.

This is why he needs to put Rambo's demise on the big screen. It was supposed to happen in the first one, but since it didn't, it's the missing piece.

:exactly::exactly::exactly::exactly:

The original ending was more tragic and real.

[ame]https://youtu.be/GKsJLLaDA-k[/ame]

I agree to an extent, but Shatner was always Kirk, and now so many embrace Pine as Kirk. Same for the other cast members. As for Hannibal, the tv incarnation to me is very good. And Hopkins wasn't even the first Lecter, but he did resonate well.

I will give to J.J., he pulled off something special. As much as his Trek characters are unique, I loved the first film because i thought every actor did a great job of carrying over what the original actors defined. The problem is, that is so rare. Most reboots abandon where characters and franchises come from, so it's not just a recast but a new vision. Abrahms recognized that there was a reason it worked and he just took those ingredients and added a few new ones to make something new but every bit as good.

It's a rare time I've embraced a remake, I usually think they fall short or spit on the originals. Halloween is a great example, by the time Zombie was done, nothing beared any resemblance to it's origin so much so that it might as well have been it's own original concept instead of cashing in on an established name.

As far as I'm concerned, there's the novel John Rambo, and the cinematic John Rambo. They are significantly different and yes, you could do a new movie and depict him as he was written instead of hte polished hollywood version Stallone delivered, but for me, it's what Stallone does that makes me like the character. I've thought about reading First Blood, but I haven't yet, and I'm going to want to imagine Stallone the whole time. And Rocky, he's Stallone's creation entirely so it'd be hard for anyone to ever depict him just as well, it's one thing to do as good a job playing a character as another actor when someone else writes it, but when you write it and play it, that's something else. Which is part of what happened with Rambo, Stallone was instrumental in crafting his cinematic depiction and translating him from the novel.

:exactly::exactly::exactly::exactly:

The original ending was more tragic and real.

True, but at the time, I think movies were probably looked at as more of an escape than books, so it's one thing to meet that end in the novel, but I think it could have had a very negative impact as a movie when it was released, today, probably not as much, but they were worried, and I think rightly so, that it could leave vets thinking, even in a movie, there's no way out of their turmoil but death. Yes, leaving potential for sequels was a consideration, of course, but I think too, they wanted to have an ending that could leave some sense of hope.

True, but at the time, I think movies were probably looked at as more of an escape than books, so it's one thing to meet that end in the novel, but I think it could have had a very negative impact as a movie when it was released, today, probably not as much, but they were worried, and I think rightly so, that it could leave vets thinking, even in a movie, there's no way out of their turmoil but death. Yes, leaving potential for sequels was a consideration, of course, but I think too, they wanted to have an ending that could leave some sense of hope.

Stallone's said in an interview, it was purely about $$$ in sequels. :lol

A lot of movies back then played it safe with how they handled characters. But First Blood really hits home with a lot of vets nowadays, just look at all the killings on bases from guys that have lost it.

I will give to J.J., he pulled off something special. As much as his Trek characters are unique, I loved the first film because i thought every actor did a great job of carrying over what the original actors defined. The problem is, that is so rare. Most reboots abandon where characters and franchises come from, so it's not just a recast but a new vision. Abrahms recognized that there was a reason it worked and he just took those ingredients and added a few new ones to make something new but every bit as good.

It's a rare time I've embraced a remake, I usually think they fall short or spit on the originals. Halloween is a great example, by the time Zombie was done, nothing beared any resemblance to it's origin so much so that it might as well have been it's own original concept instead of cashing in on an established name.

As far as I'm concerned, there's the novel John Rambo, and the cinematic John Rambo. They are significantly different and yes, you could do a new movie and depict him as he was written instead of hte polished hollywood version Stallone delivered, but for me, it's what Stallone does that makes me like the character. I've thought about reading First Blood, but I haven't yet, and I'm going to want to imagine Stallone the whole time. And Rocky, he's Stallone's creation entirely so it'd be hard for anyone to ever depict him just as well, it's one thing to do as good a job playing a character as another actor when someone else writes it, but when you write it and play it, that's something else. Which is part of what happened with Rambo, Stallone was instrumental in crafting his cinematic depiction and translating him from the novel.

If they did a version of "First Blood," you won't be picturing Stallone. ;) Stallone was a wuss compared to the Rambo in the novel. The point of the book was to flip the war, by having it waged in a small town with Rambo taking on the establishment. It's a war in the book; not the battle that was the movie. There is no hero in the novel and everyone is flawed. Obviously, Stallone took a completely different take of it which appealed to the masses in a different way than the book did.

But the character of Rambo is identified with Sly as much as the character of Kirk is identified with Shatner. (I mean JJ is basically getting Pine to act not like a character but like another actor.)

Back