Rainman's Project (Narrator 1999)... ^L^

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wouldnt wanna leave poor jack to be the non smoking one

That's the whole point! :duh

This guy is a non smoker. He's ordinary and boring. He plays by the rules and does not do things that are "bad" like smoking. Pitt does everything Norton wants to do but does not including smoking. The few seconds in the 2 short shots when we do see Norton with a cigarette are meant as a visual cue of Pitt's growing influence but it's a trait that never becomes part of his character. Smoking is when the Narrator is at his weakest, insecurely aping his new "cool" friend/alternate personality, just as he previously aped the "Ikea nesting instinct", thinking he is somehow expressing freedom or independence through conformity, this time being a space monkey Durden acolyte. But that's just the thing, he never succumbs to the "dark side" of shaving his head, Project Mayhem, or becoming a smoker. He fights his fantasy dream self and though bloodied, beaten up and shot, he proves himself stronger and better than Tyler. He's moved beyond Tyler's control and influence. That's the Narrator at his strongest both visually, scruffier & battle damaged, and as the non-smoking 'hero protagonist' and it's the version Rainman should make.

Pitt's Tyler looks cool, stylish, handsome and is a smoker. Norton's is dorky, wears boring clothes, his face is either plain or ugly and he's a non-smoker.

Last edited:
I think people that are against the cigarette in the mouth are more in tuned with the timid and weak jack. And want the figure to represent him at that specific moment.

funny. Jack is at his weakest in the tiny, tiny amount of screen time that he has a cigarette.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Tyler smokes is because Norton smokes. When we see Tyler smoking, it is in reality, Norton with the cig.

That's deep, EC. And I totally get what you mean. What you want is how the writer portrays and package jack (norton).

And I'm totally fine with that, don't get me wrong.

But the version rainman is going for is very scene specific. When there's more tyer durden than jack. Which I'm totally fine as well, as that's how rainman want to portray jack's character.

I think we could give suggestions to rainman, but with all due respect, at the end of the day, rainman has the final say on which version he wants to make. He's the artist, you can't dictate to him to follow your vision and to ignore his own instinct and passion.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Tyler smokes is because Norton smokes. When we see Tyler smoking, it is in reality, Norton with the cig.

No. The main reason Pitt's Tyler smokes, in addition to it being regarded as rebellious, is because Marla smokes. Marla and his repressed attraction towards her are the reasons why the self help groups no longer bed down his frustrated id and why has to invent Tyler. He could never get that kind of girl on his own, so he becomes the person who could and that person chain smokes to better appeal to Marla who chain smokes.

But the version rainman is going for is very scene specific.

I don't think any of us know what scene, if any, Rainman is going for as he has not posted about it, and presuming based on 1 pic is probably foolish.

There are 2 looks. The suit and tie business suit look and the finale trench coat, boxers look. The finale version I feel is the strongest choice.

Regardless of which costume, the goal should be to create the purest, most iconic representation of the character possible while still being screen accurate. A cigarette in either case weakens that.

I don't understand the thought process of not wanting a figure if it doesn't have dynamic clothing or something unique about it. If it's Norton in a suit with no bruising it would be just as fine. I personally get attached to the characters in these films and it has nothing to do with their outfits. I couldn't care less what the design dynamics are as long as it looks like the character and has accurate clothing.

I don't think any of us know what scene, if any, Rainman is going for as he has not posted about it, and presuming based on 1 pic is probably foolish.

you have your answer already :duh :

funny. Jack is at his weakest in the tiny, tiny amount of screen time that he has a cigarette.

No. The main reason Pitt's Tyler smokes, in addition to it being regarded as rebellious, is because Marla smokes. Marla and his repressed attraction towards her are the reasons why the self help groups no longer bed down his frustrated id and why has to invent Tyler. He could never get that kind of girl on his own, so he becomes the person who could and that person chain smokes to better appeal to Marla who chain smokes.

not sure bout the smoking part, but there were flashes of tyler even before jack meets marla. 3 times if I remembered, when he was at the office, the doctor's and at the meeting.

I don't understand the thought process of not wanting a figure if it doesn't have dynamic clothing or something unique about it. If it's Norton in a suit with no bruising it would be just as fine. I personally get attached to the characters in these films and it has nothing to do with their outfits. I couldn't care less what the design dynamics are as long as it looks like the character and has accurate clothing.

my points exactly.

And if I may add, I will just leave it to the artist really, whichever version he wants to make.

Just like when inae did the finale bald tyler, Im sure most of the fans of fight club would prefer her to do the spiked hair tyler.

Men in suits = boring display

there were flashes of tyler even before jack meets marla.

Dude had ennui problems no doubt. Surely Tyler was percolating beneath as the single serving friend idea, but he would've stayed boxed up as the id and Jack would've been fine in his self-help classes were it not for Marla. Though she doesn't have a lot of screen time, as with many damsels, she's the lynch pin of the whole story.

Men in suits = boring display

Why is it boring? It's a character from a movie that you're attached to. I've never watched a movie and thought to myself. "Man I like this character because his clothes aren't plain." If I like a character from a film I want them in my collection. Doesn't matter if they have on a pimp suit or not.

I think this is the specific jack thats whats in rainmans mind and how he portrays him:

https://www.leavemethewhite.com/caps/albums/movies/fightclub/Fight_Club_0476.jpg

norton01.jpg

looks pretty spot on to me.

Last edited:
Why is it boring? It's a character from a movie that you're attached to. I've never watched a movie and thought to myself. "Man I like this character because his clothes aren't plain." If I like a character from a film I want them in my collection. Doesn't matter if they have on a pimp suit or not.

There are tons of film characters I love that would make lousy, boring looking figures. I have no desire to own a representation of every character I like from every film. Many of the 'wants' I read from people here are so strange, but no accounting for taste. :duff

Norton in suit on his own = yawn. But as part of a Fight Club group of figures he's better. Still, the battle damaged is far more interesting design and would draw the eye far better than a suit & tie.

Marla and his repressed attraction towards her are the reasons why the self help groups no longer bed down his frustrated id and why has to invent Tyler.

I disagree. Flashes of Durden occurred before he met Marla. When he couldn't sleep, he got the flashes. Marla being there rendered the self help groups useless because 'her lie reflected [his] lie', and therefore he couldn't sleep and the flashes came back.

I'm sure you disagree, and that's cool. Opinions aren't fact ;)

I think this is the specific jack thats whats in rainmans mind and how he portrays him:

Yup, that would be a mistake to use that scene as reference, imo.
I guess we'll see if that's the costume he goes for.

I disagree. Flashes of Durden occurred before he met Marla. When he couldn't sleep, he got the flashes. Marla being there rendered the self help groups useless because 'her lie reflected [his] lie', and therefore he couldn't sleep and the flashes came back.

I'm sure you disagree, and that's cool. Opinions aren't fact ;)

And just because it's an opinion or reading of the film you don't agree with doesn't mean it's incorrect. ;)

Also, don't believe an unreliable narrator. The Narrator has less than zero insight into his own motivations. :lol

it's just a psychological look at the character's mental underpinnings. I'm sure there are very good papers about the subject that can go into much more detail than I can here on a message board.
no Marla = no Pitt personality taking control

or just read The Great Gatsby, it's what Fight Club is based on.
It's all about Daisy and The Dream. :duff

Last edited:
A figure of a character I love from a film could never be boring on my shelf. I'd take a Daniel Plainview any day of the week over a Dolemite.

Not to derail this thread, but I too would buy a Daniel Plainview figure! But, to be fair, period clothing (even if it is just a suit) is a bit more visually interesting than a modern suit.

Back