Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Ok Asmus, what's next?

Yeah...the head on the far left is definitely Viggo...that chin dimple is very definitive. I think that is Boromir's bracer in the small container as well...looks like a Helm's Deep Aragorn...SWEET!!

viggo_mortensen_wallpaper_13-t2.jpg

Just look at the dimple and NOSE in this picture...looks like a decent sculpt to me.

Me either. i would perfer sculpted but if I don't like the rooted hair displaying her with her helmet on might be an option.

That would help fix things. Assuming they don't give you either sculpted and not sculpted hair.

Eowyn is good... for the Witch-King.

But I really need SARUMAN and LURTZ to feel complete.

Any reason Asmus is staying so ROTK focused?

Eowyn is good... for the Witch-King.

But I really need SARUMAN and LURTZ to feel complete.

Any reason Asmus is staying so ROTK focused?

The Uruk Hai showed a lot more skin than Gothmog and Skully so they probably started there because Lutrz will take sculpted arms and legs and then the whole question of sculpted or rooted hair (hope they go sculpted). I can't wait for the Uruk Hai but they probably are on the more expensive design and development side than Gothmog and Skully. The nice thing is if you make Lurtz you can make some standard scout/raiding party Uruks and Ugluk without doing too many new pieces. Saruman has got to be close to being made. If you look at all the remaining human size characters left with no figure he's got to be in the top four on most lists.

You know, the more I look at in hand pics of Gothmog and think back on the Witch King, the more I get the feeling we're giving Asmus way too much leeway.
I want this line to succeed as much as any other fan, but it seems to me that in our eagerness to see more LOTR figures we're accepting too much. Or too little to be more precise.

The Witch King has pretty poor paint apps, sometimes crude detailing (the sword really isn't up to today's standards) and even worse weathering (not to mention the failed body). And this is not a complicated figure. Sure, he looks great and menacing standing there, but be honest folks, is that figure in any way better than the old Sideshow figures? More complex? Does it have more gear, clothing, detail? Now I know all the failings of those figures, but we're talking quite a few years of difference.
Now take Gothmog.
From what I've seen and read, it's a pretty uneven affair. It's got a great sculpt. Some nice use of materials (hair, twine, metal).
An über crap body. Poor to non-existant paint apps on weapons and gear. No weathering worth mentioning.

Shouldn't we be expecting more from Asmus?
How many bodies are we supposed to exchange down the line? One was bad enough. But two in a row? I find that pretty inexcusable.
Say what you will about the current price of figures, but I'm not sure these two we have got are worth what they cost.

I realize I'm being harsh, but I believe it's time Asmus heard some harsh words so they know that this will no longer be acceptable.

I really hope Guritz fixes the issues of the two first offerings, otherwise I will hold no hope for Gandalf the White.

While part of me whole-heartedly agrees with you abake, I also feel like Asmus is making great strides in their development of figures. The sculpt work alone is slowly becoming outstanding. The sculpt on Gandalf is very well done. The sculpt on Gothmog and Guritz look great as well. I agree that accessories and detailing are also lacking a bit, but they are getting better. The Mordor flag with Guritz looks pretty darn cool. I think as time goes on they will only get better. For initial offerings, I think these first couple figures are borderline great. Issues with the launch of any new line are preventing them from being closer to perfect, but I can only hope that Asmus works out the body issues. My biggest gripe so far is the Gothmog body...I don't even have the figure, but it looks like a very subpar body.

\
The chin and the cheek bones on the one on the far left kind of reminds me of Aragorn. No guesses on anything else.

That one head on the keyboard is definitely Aragorn - looks like his hair upside down in a box near the screen. The other visible heads seem to be Anime - so hopefully a different property than LotR.

I figured a general questions thread for the line might be a good idea since Asmus has been reading the threads on these boards and some of us might have more general questions or questions about figures the haven't been mentioned yet.

Mods feel free to move it or delete it if it's not needed.

I few questions I have right now are:

1. Since you are slowly working on piecing together your own standard 1/6 body are you also working on developing a hobbit/dwarf size one?

2. We saw a picture of a horse in development. When you are ready to release/reveal it will it be sold as part of a set or as a separate item we can buy?

3. With figures like Eowyn is the plan to do sculpted hair or rooted hair? Would you be open to providing two head one sculpted and one rooted or would that be too expensive?

4. The Morodr orc "Skully" or Guritz is neat and the price is great but he is a very specific orc. Are there any plans to release a more generic army builder orc or Uruk Hai (can't wait for the Uruk Hai!)?

5. Any news on when Gothmog will be shipping to the United States?

Thanks.

All good questions. If Asmus is doing their own proprietary bodies I wonder if they will also release those separately. If the quality is nice it will be good to have more competition and body types in the market as long as the scale is consistent.

Not only should there be special bodies for hobbits but also Dwarves and possibly Elves. The Dwarves will not only be an important type for Gimli, but if they also end up producing The Hobbit. The elves should be lighter and finer boned I would think but maybe a narrow type would suffice.

I am also going to be interested to see what they do with female figures like Arwen, Galadriel and Eowyn.

Any chance of in scale Trolls? Those would be fantastic in armor.

Thank you very much for opening this thread for us, I am told to keep an eye on SS freak forum to constantly gather feedback for our LOTR line. Your voice will be really important part in our projects.

1. Since you are slowly working on piecing together your own standard 1/6 body are you also working on developing a hobbit/dwarf size one?

We will definitely make a hobbit and dwarf body. Gimili is on top our developing list. As well as Pippin and Merry. completing the fellowship for Sideshow is still one of our primary goal.

2. We saw a picture of a horse in development. When you are ready to release/reveal it will it be sold as part of a set or as a separate item we can buy?

May be both. so far only Mouth of Sauron will be certainly sold with horse.

3. With figures like Eowyn is the plan to do sculpted hair or rooted hair? Would you be open to providing two head one sculpted and one rooted or would that be too expensive?

Rooted hair is likely to be the choice for Eowyn. But not until we can get a prototype out, then we can vote for a better option.

4. The Morodr orc "Skully" or Guritz is neat and the price is great but he is a very specific orc. Are there any plans to release a more generic army builder orc or Uruk Hai (can't wait for the Uruk Hai!)?

It's part of our original plan. But it seems to be very difficult at moment because it will properly sell poorly. :slap But we will try. At moment it is more important to keep improve our quality for Skully.

5. Any news on when Gothmog will be shipping to the United States?

I really have no cruel on this one... sorry...
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

All good questions. If Asmus is doing their own proprietary bodies I wonder if they will also release those separately. If the quality is nice it will be good to have more competition and body types in the market as long as the scale is consistent.

Not only should there be special bodies for hobbits but also Dwarves and possibly Elves. The Dwarves will not only be an important type for Gimli, but if they also end up producing The Hobbit. The elves should be lighter and finer boned I would think but maybe a narrow type would suffice.

I am also going to be interested to see what they do with female figures like Arwen, Galadriel and Eowyn.

Any chance of in scale Trolls? Those would be fantastic in armor.

We did notice the difference of body shape between hobbits and dwarfs.

Dwarfs are stronger, some of the ones in the Hobbits are even quite tall. Unlike hobbits, are smaller like kids.

Unfortunately we have no budget to make our own female body, we will look for a good brand to work with. But... yeah, buying other brands body will be a risk like we took for Morgul Lord. We are still suffering for that consequence...

If anyone has good suggested female body selection, please let us know. If there is one most people will be happy with, then we can go and try contact. PS: Not Hot Toys please... lol

Had a couple of threads that were pretty similar so I merged them. So you're not going crazy if you miss what you think you were looking for.

It's part of our original plan. But it seems to be very difficult at moment because it will properly sell poorly. :slap But we will try. At moment it is more important to keep improve our quality for Skully.

I am hoping that the orc head that comes with Gandalf might work with the Guritz body. That might encourage people to get more than one of Guritz. I know I have two on pre-order right now with that in mind.

I liked the teaser shot that was with Eowyn. We think we saw Aragorns headsculpt and a vembrace. Is there anything else that we missed in that teaser? Are we going to get some more teasers soon? Possibly of Aragorn like you did with Gandalf in different stages of development?

I am hoping that the orc head that comes with Gandalf might work with the Guritz body. That might encourage people to get more than one of Guritz. I know I have two on pre-order right now with that in mind.

I was thinking the same exact thing.

When can we see the sculpt for Aragorn?

Will you be making Eomer this year?

The Gandalf sculpt is good, will it be tweaked further before release?

Will you be making Gandalf the Grey?

Will you be making your own version of Boromir and Faramir? They are my favorite characters.

Do you have the license for The Hobbit? I would love a figure of Thorin and Bilbo.

Last edited:
Back