Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back and loved it. The dialogue was great. Though I do wish there were more scenes of Schultz training Django or them catching other bounties before the long, quiet scene in Candie's house. The Tarantino scene was my least favorite scene in the film, it just felt a bit slow and forced. But other than that loved the style, dialogue, pace, and cinematography. Great acting....awesome shootouts (Django was a beast). Everybody mentioned the obvious scenes that stuck out, but I also like the scene where Django is wearing the blue outfit. Very exciting stuff. I might say Inglorious Basterds is a tad better, but both of them I think are films that you can appreciate more as you watch them again.

Saw the movie today with a friend and we both liked it. Samuel L Jackson was the best lol, super hilarious. Only things I disliked "a little only"
Spoiler Spoiler:

but once again, I...don't...know.

Wow, it only took 26,000+ posts to finally state the obvious! :clap

The irony with Spike vs. Quentin is that both of them are under the mistaken impression that they can act.
Whenever they show up in their films, the movie starts to sputter.

Django continues the trend.

Stay behind the lens, fellas!

DJANGO UNCHAINED was excellent. Hilarious, suspenseful and filled with compelling characters and dialogue.

I only had two problems:

First is the level of gore. Yes, I know this is Tarantino, and I have no problem with violence when it serves the story. But when a guy gets shot in the shoulder, and five gallons of Mortal Kombat-style blood gushes out, then it's like, "okay..." Now just imagine every shootout like that, but drawn out. At those points, it becomes a South Parkesque parody of the over the top violence seen in lower-end exploitation films. Reveling it that kind of carnage almost undermines the violence towards the slaves in the film, which was thankfully portrayed in a more tasteful and less gratuitous manner, making it more effective.

My second issue is the dragging out of the third act, when the story should have been resolved at the end of what was the second act.

That's all.

All in all, one of my favorite films of the year. As a fellow film-fan, I appreciate Quentin's enthusiasm and really enjoyed seeing his love of the genre in every frame.

Wow, it only took 26,000+ posts to finally state the obvious! :clap

The irony with Spike vs. Quentin is that both of them are under the mistaken impression that they can act.
Whenever they show up in their films, the movie starts to sputter.

Django continues the trend.

Stay behind the lens, fellas!

Yup, his acting definitely runs inverse to the talent he has as director.

Saw it yesterday and I have to say...I am kind of disappointed.

So overall it was a *good* film, just not a great one like I'm used to with Tarantino. Let me start by saying what was good.

-Christoph Waltz. He completely carries the film. I was behind him 100% of the time and I thought he was almost as awesome as he was in basterds. Fantastic character and actor.
-Sam Jackson. Never thought he'd do a role like this. Totally different from his usual fare. He was great and it was great to see some diversity. I thought he was some comic relief too.
-The first hour. Pure perfection. Tons of fun, humor and badassery to boot.
-The action climax.
-The music
-The KKK scene with jonah hill and Don Johnson. That was hilarious.

But then the negatives:
-Dragged on and on. First Tarantino movie where I felt like the dialogue was not only unmemorable, but also slow moving. When they reach Candyland I am completely bored and ready to check out. By the time they get to the good stuff after Candyland, I'm wishing it was over already and that stuff is less appreciated. This definitely needed trimming.
-The plot. As simple as we saw it in the trailers. No twists and turns. Straightforward. Nothing complex or overly interesting or even that satisfying in the end.
-Django is an unlikable protagonist. Don't call me a racist but he just becomes too cocky. At the plantation when he starts talking down to all the other black guys wtf was that about? I was behind Schultz.
-DiCaprio was not as funny or charming or interesting as I expected. Just kind of annoying really. I could tell the big speech he made with the skull was supposed to be this big pivotal moment, a memorable scene like the ones in Pulp Fiction when Jackson is quoting the bible etc. It did nothing for me. I can barely remember what he was talking about.
-The resolution. Unsatisfying. I was kind of hoping everyone would die except Sam Jackson.
-the humor. Where were the lolz here that are found in Tarantino's other movies? Felt stale.

All in all, while I enjoyed *most* of it I was getting kind of bored, as I'm sure most of you are reading this post. I felt that it lacked emotional depth and felt shallow and reused compared to Tarantino's other more inspired movies. Felt like I'd seen it before and I've seen it before done better.

Regarding Django talking down to the slaves, that wasn't him, that was his act. He was playing a black slaver; someone who didn't care about the slaves, and he acted accordingly. He even gave some insight into what kind of man he would be playing when he told Schultz that "a black slaver is lower than a master house slave." That wasn't Django, that was Django the "Mandingo fighting" expert.

To not have the N word used in a movie set in slavery is unrealistic, the word was used. Do I like the word no...but sometime it fits in the context of a movie. If you honestly thought the word wasn't going to be used, you obviously never seen a Tarantino movie. I don't think Tarantino is racist, I just think he likes to keep it "real". If anyone tells me he/she haven't ever heard someone in his family or associates use the word, I would have a very hard time believing them.

I was hoping that woman holding the axe with the red scarf covering her mouth would turn out to be some major villianous character. Not so.

Regarding Django talking down to the slaves, that wasn't him, that was his act. He was playing a black slaver; someone who didn't care about the slaves, and he acted accordingly. He even gave some insight into what kind of man he would be playing when he told Schultz that "a black slaver is lower than a master house slave." That wasn't Django, that was Django the "Mandingo fighting" expert.

And it was a good thing he did too, as it saved him at the very end.

At the plantation when he starts talking down to all the other black guys wtf was that about?
He was playing a character. And in order for their plan to work he could not break character at all. They mentioned this multiple times.

I was hoping that woman holding the axe with the red scarf covering her mouth would turn out to be some major villianous character. Not so.
It was just a Zoe Bell cameo.

It was just a Zoe Bell cameo.

So that's who that was? Umma's stunt double in Kill Bill and the chick on the charger in Deathproof!

When they did the closeup shot on her as DJANGO was entering Candyland, it felt like she was going to play a major part in the film once the **** hit the fan!

Last edited:
Yes, the handkerchief woman was weird. I kept thinking more would be made of it, but maybe it was just one of those little bits of "interest" Tarantino sometimes works in. Then again, maybe before the final cut she had more of a role.

Loved it, until the incident with Schultz.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Final act was a little off with Django going back to Candie Land. Django wasn't particularly likable at that point either.

Other than that, really enjoyed it.

I thought Django was awesome at the end. I can't say I thought he was too "cocky." It just seems like a weird criticism to level. Did anyone ever think Tony Stark was too cocky? I mean, I kind of appreciate that in a hero. He did just end up saving his life through some quick thinking, blow up a plantation, and take out the people who caused him and his wife so much pain and suffering. Oh, and he avenged his friend's death. And he and his wife are now free. I think he earned being kind of cocky. I thought that was awesome. I know Tarantino doesn't do sequels, but I'd watch another Django movie. Heck, I'd watch a prequel focusing on Shultz. :)

As for Shultz not shaking the man's hand, it was clear that he was having a harder time than even Django facing the reality of Candyland, especially the murder of Dartanian. Probably because he didn't understand the full reality of the horror of it like Django (through personal experience) did. I just think Shultz couldn't play along any more. He'd reached the end of the line.

I liked Django the whole way through. He was the best character in the flick, I thought. But then again, I love cocky *** heroes. I root for them more then more humble ones.

Like I said, I didn't have a problem with Django till the end. It specifically started with the scene with the three white drivers (which included you know who) when they were going to take him to the mines.

They didn't even treat him like crap really once they found out he was a free man and were willing to help them after he suggested they pursue the bounty (which they weren't too keen on in the first place).

But it didn't matter. The did terrible things to black people. Worked them to exhaustion, and throw them all into the hole to die. Cut their tongue out if they talked back.

They deserved to die.

So, what was your problem with him at that point? I guess I'm just not understanding what the issue was with him? Did you think he treated the slave-transporting guys unfairly?

Back