QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been on the site for 10 years and I still don't know how to clear the in box [emoji28] send to my email [email protected]

I believe I still have Sulu. Scotty is definitely out. I agreed to ?try? to assemble 2 for couple of fans with available surplus parts (very little, I have a recycle all extra parts procedure after 2 months from delivery) When I return to HK/China then I can see the possibility, but as of now the return date is an unknown (hint: If I do go back, that means 1/6 trek is having a new horizon)

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk
Email sent. Thanks again[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I believe I only have Sulu, and if I can return to HK/China, promised to assemble 2 scotty from scraps. Might need to take couple of red shirts from my personal Red Shirt Squadron (always wanted to have a whole army of Reds).

Molds will rust. Their molds should be sold as scraps by now.

Don't molds cost like tens of thousands of dollars? They'd just let them go to waste? How do other companies re-release figures from 30 years ago?

(hint: If I do go back, that means 1/6 trek is having a new horizon)

I sure hope that means what I hope it means! After the crazy, crazy year this has been so far a new horizon for 1/6 Trek with Nanjin would bring a smile to my face. Hope springs eternal.

Can anyone please tell me if the rank braids of the Scotty figure are removable from the arms to make a generic security team member? Thank you.

Don't molds cost like tens of thousands of dollars? They'd just let them go to waste? How do other companies re-release figures from 30 years ago?
Molds are the most expensive. But they need to be properly prep'd and stored because humidity will rust them. Now, imagine they are left outside?

Thats why I said viewing from all corners, under the previous arrangement, the TOS would die, as we see this is happening.

I would allow TOS to die unless I have to take my last breathe.

We can hope that the seeming shot in the arm from Kirk and Spock v2 has made them realise that there remains some life in the franchise but I do think that they need to plan to release some kind of Kirk or Spock variant once per year alongside two other releases. Releasing them together gives a short sharp burst of interest that gradually fades as you work through lesser known characters. I really hope they are wising up to the potential.

Too bad we won?t see this happening[emoji17]
9797a8d26c45ce2f3d3b6699d0128e98.jpg

Have been on the site for 10 years and I still don't know how to clear the in box [emoji28] send to my email [email protected]

I believe I still have Sulu. Scotty is definitely out. I agreed to ?try? to assemble 2 for couple of fans with available surplus parts (very little, I have a recycle all extra parts procedure after 2 months from delivery) When I return to HK/China then I can see the possibility, but as of now the return date is an unknown (hint: If I do go back, that means 1/6 trek is having a new horizon)

I offered to fund ALL trek production, and I funded sulu.

I only have One and Clearly defined intention, to keep trek alive. I seriously didn't care about Marvel or DC.

Look around 1/6, even HT couldn't get Lynda Wonderwoman, why a non 1/6 company can?

Molds are the most expensive. But they need to be properly prep'd and stored because humidity will rust them. Now, imagine they are left outside?

Thats why I said viewing from all corners, under the previous arrangement, the TOS would die, as we see this is happening.

I have no idea how large molds are but is there any reason you didn't take them? I'm just dumbfounded they'd let them go to waste like that.

Scan and make new molds I guess.

I'm pretty sure Hasbro still uses molds from the 80's to do all their Transformer reissues. They've said they lost the molds to the 80's dinobots and they've never been reissues (officially, there are KOs) since then, and they'd definitely sell well.

Scan and make new molds I guess.

Yup. Or just sculpt, cast and make new ones. That?s what Super 7 had to do when they started producing the MotU line. According to Brian Flynn, Mattel regularly recycles the molds after a year or so...maybe less. As Nanjin said, and BF too, these molds have to be regularly prepped and stored for them to last. That?s to say nothing about storage space for those large steel blocks.

This is the type of stuff I love talking to these manufacturers about at SDCC....RIP SDCC ?20 :monkey2:monkey2

Yup. Or just sculpt, cast and make new ones. That?s what Super 7 had to do when they started producing the MotU line. According to Brian Flynn, Mattel regularly recycles the molds after a year or so...maybe less. As Nanjin said, and BF too, these molds have to be regularly prepped and stored for them to last. That?s to say nothing about storage space for those large steel blocks.

This is the type of stuff I love talking to these manufacturers about at SDCC....RIP SDCC ?20 :monkey2:monkey2
Of course we can make new molds, but does it make sense at all? In production, molds are freaking assets. In accounting, you right it off. Which translate to the more you use the molds the cheap the production. Do the math then you will see. Body molds that cost USD5 to produce at the start of its life cycle, could reach USD 1 or even less by its end (degradation begins, and always can repair and extend to its non repairable stage.)

Production is at the lowest end of the food chain. Any fixed assest must be fully utilized.

A head sculpt mold ranges
from 10 to 20 lbs. Theorically the heavier the better. Solid steel. Body molds total to 1000 lbs of solid steel.

HT molds cost guarantee to be 2x more expensive than any 1/6 producers.

I don't know why, all these are common sense. But people could chose to go with something against all goods.

Symmetric products molds are about engineering. Head sculpt molds are about skill of the technicians.

Last edited:
Hi
I just got my McCoy (NEW in sealed box) and apart from the muscle man body, the too wide tunic and the wide sleeves (which are stitched in another way as the KnS re-release) there are two major complaints:

First issue: His head is shaking each time you move him, so isn't it fixed the proper way?

Second: Do McCoy's knee joints have other hinges than Kirk and Spock in their re-issue? When they are sitting, the knee joints look right, when McCoy takes seats the knees are kind of flattened (due to 2 hinges?.
Any ideas?
And: Where do I get a proper generic body for McCoy (is it easly replaceable or can I break something?)

I am considering to buy Scotty. But does he have the same "features"?

I appreciate your help and advice.

Hi
I just got my McCoy (NEW in sealed box) and apart from the muscle man body, the too wide tunic and the wide sleeves (which are stitched in another way as the KnS re-release) there are two major complaints:

First issue: His head is shaking each time you move him, so isn't it fixed the proper way?

Second: Do McCoy's knee joints have other hinges than Kirk and Spock in their re-issue? When they are sitting, the knee joints look right, when McCoy takes seats the knees are kind of flattened (due to 2 hinges?.
Any ideas?
And: Where do I get a proper generic body for McCoy (is it easly replaceable or can I break something?)

I am considering to buy Scotty. But does he have the same "features"?

I appreciate your help and advice.

Congrats on the pick up!
The list of issues you have there clearly shows that a McCoy V.2 is required. It would be snapped up by most everyone who has bought the Kirk Spock V.2!

Back