QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having the same problem with the helm panel of the Galileo shuttlecraft, so I checked the web. Be aware that only the original shots of the TOS series are valid, any graphics of "experts" or replica might contain errors. Even during the series some instruments changed (on the Enterprise helm, the Galileo, and even the control panel of Kirk's chair!).

So here are some links, one replica, some original
just browse the web yourself or check the episodes on DVD. You'll find!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28221085@N03/4269658535
https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdofthegalaxy/3580251440
and Original helm prop as displayed in 2016 at Science Fiction Museum in Seattle:
https://www.pinterest.de/pin/586242076464863220/
Good luck and share your results here!

Those are great shots, especially the first one you linked to. I would be content with some errors, as I don't want to go through the effort of drawing it myself, was hoping to use a print a copy of a straight on shot as a decal or onto something white and translucent to put in the console. I'm not sure I'm up for learning how to use a graphics program to draw it.

There are lots of sources for photographs, as I've found looking around the web. The pictures of the original console are amazing in how much you can see of the original construction materials.

Tom

Here is another astrogator pic, this time close up.
QKTMmjz9

Tom, would you please share your graphic result with me as I am considering to replace the silly good for nothing astrogation device on the Galileo panel by the Enterprise bridge conn astrogator. Thanks.

Pic found here https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/donnys-tos-enterprise-interiors.212119/page-212

Back to the subject at hand, did anybody witness that Scotty figure going for over $500 on eBay a few days ago? I wish I had a Scotty figure only to sell it! “I know what time it is. I don't need a bloomin' cuckoo clock.” Time to sell!

Beside headsculpts, what else can be improved? I have one item in mind that can do better

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Back to the subject at hand, did anybody witness that Scotty figure going for over $500 on eBay a few days ago? I wish I had a Scotty figure only to sell it! “I know what time it is. I don't need a bloomin' cuckoo clock.” Time to sell!
I saw him on there but didn’t see that he went for over $500. For a bit I considered tossing a bid in. At that point it was at like $280 though. It must have shot up the last day or so.

Beside headsculpts, what else can be improved? I have one item in mind that can do better

One idea i had was to include a cardboard backdrop of the bridge with each figure, with each character getting a different section. It would encourage people to get the entire main crew, in order to re-create the bridge. Too late now though, i think.

One idea i had was to include a cardboard backdrop of the bridge with each figure, with each character getting a different section. It would encourage people to get the entire main crew, in order to re-create the bridge. Too late now though, i think.
I thought of that, and already designed some items to give 3D effects when viewed at a specific angle (it supposed to work with the captains chair) and was planned to debut with twok. I was working with Donny at Star Trek Online on these.

But this is under Product design and not the figures themselves.

I wonder anyone can guess what part of the current TOS annoys me (actually since 2016)

I thought of that, and already designed some items to give 3D effects when viewed at a specific angle (it supposed to work with the captains chair) and was planned to debut with twok. I was working with Donny at Star Trek Online on these.

But this is under Product design and not the figures themselves.

I wonder anyone can guess what part of the current TOS annoys me (actually since 2016)

The muscle-bound bodies drives me crazy. The improved version is supposed to be less bulging, but at the same time did they make the width of the shoulder structure narrower on Kirk?? The narrower shoulders on Kirk does NOT look correct any more that bulging arms and deltoids do on Spock, Bones and Scotty. The body structures would have been the easiest things to get right in comparison to the facial portraitures! But no...

The muscle-bound bodies drives me crazy. The improved version is supposed to be less bulging, but at the same time did they make the width of the shoulder structure narrower on Kirk?? The narrower shoulders on Kirk does NOT look correct any more that bulging arms and deltoids do on Spock, Bones and Scotty. The body structures would have been the easiest things to get right in comparison to the facial portraitures! But no...
In 2013, I already looking into this, and laid down ground work by understanding ZCWO, a 1/6 soccer company. I learnt a great deal from the owners.

Once Kirk was released in 2016, I had formulated a Great Plan. Upgrade Kirk Spock McCoy painlessly for the buyers when TWOK begins.

The 2nd release Kirk and Spock supposed to be uniquely positioned to justify repeat purchase of the same character.

Kirk in leisure Green Wrap, and Spock in something other than standard uniform. Standard uniforms exclusivr are for the new comers. Both in their own bodies, Kirk in shape based body , and Spock in articulation based (hands hold behind back is an icon post). Of course, the best, and constantly upgrading till production head sculpts.

To do all these, Scotty would be the one who spearhead the upgrade process.

Every single item in Trek was considered for at least 5 years out and a 3 years plan (including when to retire old hands and do new ones)

Collecting Trek supposed to be fun, and Production supposed to be painless.

All uniforms supposed be dealt with like clothing lines (a same item with assortments and size only).... but it was handled like an individual item for individual figure. That's why they are different everything....

Cost supposed to have a 25% reduction but ended up with 15% increase cost (that's a 40% opportunity cost differences!)

Why the heck I never stopped searching for fabrics? I know 2nd Season uniforms are what people recognized most (for the non-Trek Uniform geek)

2nd Release of Kirk and Spock supposed to look 2x 3x better than 1st without stealing the 1st's spot lights.

BTW, I wonder who received thesev2nd season uniforms... i randomly put a set into my Kirk and Spock stock
b0ca8d840698981bf029a7f24b7422ba.jpg

I think Kirk's head is from the 1st season, as is Scotty's, whereas McCoy's head is from the 3rd season.

I 've always adored the 1st and 2nd season's tunics (because of the higher waists (due to shrinking ;)), not the 3rd season's ones, but on the action figures I think the 3rd season uniforms go better.

BTW, Nanjin, when modelling the prototype of Uhura, did you consider giving her the right height ("petite") and those lovely chunky thighs instead of the slim version of the Barbie doll?

I think Kirk's head is from the 1st season, as is Scotty's, whereas McCoy's head is from the 3rd season.

I 've always adored the 1st and 2nd season's tunics (because of the higher waists (due to shrinking ;)), not the 3rd season's ones, but on the action figures I think the 3rd season uniforms go better.

BTW, Nanjin, when modelling the prototype of Uhura, did you consider giving her the right height ("petite") and those lovely chunky thighs instead of the slim version of the Barbie doll?
The entire TOS series need to be budgeted and viewed as ONE macro merchandise in terms of production consideration and figures' proportion.

Retained earnings must be there for new bodies R&D (generate TOS's own financial support). I purposely pushed Uhura back because of this issue, Uhura needs her own body.

Uhura was in a very terrible shape when I left.

I showed ?him? a generic seamless body, and he said was good and said she didn't need her own.... then I know, 1/6 Trek was totally fuxked....

My plan of Uhura supposed to come with Mirror exclusive version. That's why she had interchangeable hair piece.

Hi Nanjin,

You mean Uhura with regular starfleet tunic and mirror costume as an extra or just in mirror outfit? The mirror costume only would not fit to the rest of the bridge personnel being in starfleet uniforms. I remember two pictures of Uhura you posted here showing her head (1st season hairdoo etc.) and regular red uniform (velour?).

Hi Nanjin,

You mean Uhura with regular starfleet tunic and mirror costume as an extra or just in mirror outfit? The mirror costume only would not fit to the rest of the bridge personnel being in starfleet uniforms. I remember two pictures of Uhura you posted here showing her head (1st season hairdoo etc.) and regular red uniform (velour?).
With an Uhura Mirror Exclusive, I could opened another series of figures, Mirror Universe characters. Every versions of Spock sculpts that I have, has a Goatee Spock. TOS without Mirror is a perfect picture without a frame. Btw, Scott supposed to have a Mirror exclusive, and he would only cost another USD20 or 25 and should not be above 200
69bd25488ae8dd452ce9149924b8a1f2.jpg

Back