QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have given us more information in 1 day than all of the other 1/6 producers combined have given us in the past 12 months.....

paying scalper prices for Kirk....

Just trying to stay strong and resist the temptation to pay a ridiculous price.

Trekverse is too huge and sprang out to two or there generations. I like to know what Friends (customers) like in Trek (behavior), and I see this as some thing that we all like (customer participation). During engagements I understand the difficulties of having these Trek figures (buying pattern). Trek figures went diving in deep ocean for an entire year. I believe some explanation will ease the frustration (customer satisfaction).

...paying ridiculous price?.... Once I kept stock to keep price low [emoji1] I am a very stupid businessman

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

First, I am not an artist. I only ORCHESTRATED the projects. Just like what I have been doing since 2009.

QMx holds the license, i proto and produce the figures in China, and QMx market them.

Because of the networking I established, I have the support in producing other figures like Dean, Wesley, Nun, etc. I responsible for these too but these are work, Trek are Fun.

Let me see if I have understood correctely:

1) You used to work in something that, if I have understood correctly, had nothing whatsoever to do with the 1/6 business.

2) If not an artist, I want to believe that you are a hardcore 1/6 collector who, being in HK, happened to be pretty well connected to the 1/6 design/manufacturing scene.

3) I also want to believe that you have had some experience in Project Management. Otherwise, those American hyperprofessional entrepreneurs, obsessed as they are with all that, would never have given you such a crytical responsibility.......

4) You seem to love Star Trek. Just a little bit. Just.

5) In 2014, you learnt QMx had the licence(...?).

6) You got your act together and in 2016 (QMx waiting for 2 years??? Way too long, right?) you somehow contacted them and made them hire you.

7) The rest is 1/6 History.

8) The reasons for the blackout and aaaaall these negotiations you told us about, are still beyond me... Will you tell us someday? Or it was just "not enough sales"?

Now, let me know just how wrong I am wrt all the above. ;-)
AND TELL US MOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!! :)
The 1/6 industry is such a huge unkown to me yet.....
Something that makes me wonder a lot: OK QMx gets the licence from Paramount(?). Does the licenser help the licencee, or the latter's contract manufacturer (that is, you) by providing abundant design data? Do you guys have access to extremely cool pictures of, say the uniforms, or even the original design data, so that you only have to scale them down? Do you get detailed data of the props? Do you guys have to trip down to the licencer' facilities to capture all data needed? Or you just pull pictures from the net and just go by that?

Another part of the process that really keeps me speculating is the whole approval process: you have to get licencee (QMx) approval, then the licencee must get licencer approval? Do you go down to the licencer, along with the QMx guys, to get feedback? Are there iterations? Are they hard to please? :)

OMG I can go on for days: how do you schedule a project for a figure? What goes first? And second? What happens simultaneously? How many artists and how much time to do a single prototype? How do you guys go about when the time comes to convert the proto into a long and ultraprecise manufacturing process description, where even the tiniest paint application is exhaustively written down? How do you choose the factory that will do the production run? Are there many in HK, or only a few that everybody use, even HT/SSC? How do you decide how big the run must be, that is, how do you assess some figure's sellability? What kind of training do factory workers go through, to be able to replicate what the extremely skillful prototyping artists did? Are they artists themselves, maybe younger ones?

Yeap, that's crazy.... you don't have to answer any of the above, of course.... :)

Finally: I am after the TWOK set. That's my stake on this. Any schedule? The protos we have seen at exhibitions, are they final? For such an iconic point in the franchise, will we have little nice extras, such as Spock's lovely black meditation robe? (seen in both TMP and TWOK)

Thanks,
m.

You said you were doing an Admiral Kirk grey-green/white TMP uniform to coincide with TMP 40th anniversary. This is a fantastic way to honor TMP -- an underrated movie in the movie series. I consider it to be the most faithful to TOS.

I didn't think much of that design back in the day, preferring the switch to red, but in recent years have gained a whole new appreciation for it. Glad they paid homage in the Kelvin Timeline.

I despise the red uniforms with a passion...
It always seemed to me the completely wrong way to go after the functional, simplistic uniforms of TOS and TMP. It's a completely misguided evolution. Actually, it's not an evolution, it just makes no sense at all! :lol

But, as always, I'm completely at odds with popular sentiment...

It always seemed to me the completely wrong way to go after the functional, simplistic uniforms of TOS and TMP. It's a completely misguided evolution. Actually, it's not an evolution, it just makes no sense at all! :lol

You're right, they're totally out of place, especially considering what comes later.

Let me see if I have understood correctely:

1) You used to work in something that, if I have understood correctly, had nothing whatsoever to do with the 1/6 business.

2) If not an artist, I want to believe that you are a hardcore 1/6 collector who, being in HK, happened to be pretty well connected to the 1/6 design/manufacturing scene.

3) I also want to believe that you have had some experience in Project Management. Otherwise, those American hyperprofessional entrepreneurs, obsessed as they are with all that, would never have given you such a crytical responsibility.......

4) You seem to love Star Trek. Just a little bit. Just.

5) In 2014, you learnt QMx had the licence(...?).

6) You got your act together and in 2016 (QMx waiting for 2 years??? Way too long, right?) you somehow contacted them and made them hire you.

7) The rest is 1/6 History.

8) The reasons for the blackout and aaaaall these negotiations you told us about, are still beyond me... Will you tell us someday? Or it was just "not enough sales"?

Now, let me know just how wrong I am wrt all the above. ;-)
AND TELL US MOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!! :)
The 1/6 industry is such a huge unkown to me yet.....
Something that makes me wonder a lot: OK QMx gets the licence from Paramount(?). Does the licenser help the licencee, or the latter's contract manufacturer (that is, you) by providing abundant design data? Do you guys have access to extremely cool pictures of, say the uniforms, or even the original design data, so that you only have to scale them down? Do you get detailed data of the props? Do you guys have to trip down to the licencer' facilities to capture all data needed? Or you just pull pictures from the net and just go by that?

Another part of the process that really keeps me speculating is the whole approval process: you have to get licencee (QMx) approval, then the licencee must get licencer approval? Do you go down to the licencer, along with the QMx guys, to get feedback? Are there iterations? Are they hard to please? :)

OMG I can go on for days: how do you schedule a project for a figure? What goes first? And second? What happens simultaneously? How many artists and how much time to do a single prototype? How do you guys go about when the time comes to convert the proto into a long and ultraprecise manufacturing process description, where even the tiniest paint application is exhaustively written down? How do you choose the factory that will do the production run? Are there many in HK, or only a few that everybody use, even HT/SSC? How do you decide how big the run must be, that is, how do you assess some figure's sellability? What kind of training do factory workers go through, to be able to replicate what the extremely skillful prototyping artists did? Are they artists themselves, maybe younger ones?

Yeap, that's crazy.... you don't have to answer any of the above, of course.... :)

Finally: I am after the TWOK set. That's my stake on this. Any schedule? The protos we have seen at exhibitions, are they final? For such an iconic point in the franchise, will we have little nice extras, such as Spock's lovely black meditation robe? (seen in both TMP and TWOK)

Thanks,
m.

He made bootleg Star Trek figures. They were TOS, TWOK and JJ universe.

I assume he was lucky and QMx liked his figures, knew he'd done a lot of research and knew manufacturers in China so used all that to their advantage, because QMx hold the official licenses.

Yeah I admit those uniforms seem a bit dated and out of place now, but I loved them at the time and thought the swashbuckling Horatio Hornblower look fit really well with those movies and the general style of TOS. Which was always more colorful and larger than life than the later Treks.

Never liked them ever. The look too militaristic in a world that wants itself looking towards peace. I always thought they looked very Cold War.

Only Planet Action Figures that I'm aware of. Aaron's a good guy, he'll look after you. I might have to sit this one out though, as the price has skyrocketed since Kirk and Spock. They were about £140 each at the time. Scotty is nearly £190. I don't think I can justify the price jump...

Has there been a similar price rise stateside?

Only Planet Action Figures that I'm aware of. Aaron's a good guy, he'll look after you. I might have to sit this one out though, as the price has skyrocketed since Kirk and Spock. They were about £140 each at the time. Scotty is nearly £190. I don't think I can justify the price jump...

Honestly, I don’t think so. He’s $179.95 USD with free shipping here in the states. I don’t remember what the others were, but I’m pretty sure it was comparable.

Honestly, I don’t think so. He’s $179.95 USD with free shipping here in the states. I don’t remember what the others were, but I’m pretty sure it was comparable.

Then it must be at the UK end for some reason. I guess there are a lot of political factors at play. It just sucks when you're on a budget!

Why 140 than 190? VAT

Back