QMx Malcolm Reynolds 1/6 statue - Serenity/Firefly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Quantum Mechanix - Firefly statue - Malcolm

Yeah, like I said I'm still not sure what the Firefly 'game' is all about, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'd definitely like SSC to get a hold of this license and 'flex their stuff' with it.

Don't think it will ever happen. We're mighty, but we're small in number.

Old Grandpa

This is pretty cool. I am in agreement that the flag is out of character. Still, if the paintjob is done well, im prob in for this.

Hopefully the flag is some kind of swap-out arm/feature. Guess they're referencing the browncoat background, but it's a dumb move given it would not allow the crew to make sense displayed with him.

The statue aside, would Mal's character carry a flag?

I don't see him as the type that would wave the ol "Stars and Bars".

Yes, he loved to start bar fights on Unification Day, but I think thats more about his disgust at the Alliance, but I think he also feels burned from the Battle of Serenity Valley enough that I don't see him flying the flag. Then again, he did name his ship after it.

Hmm. I just don't know. I sorta lean to thinking he's completely unaffiliated and independant aside from his crew.

If they plan to do rest of the crew, I am guessing we will see an alternate Mal statue down the line.

https://www.qmxonline.com/news/16-scale-malcolm-reynolds-prototype/
More pics and details of the statue.

"QMx is very proud to present Malcolm Reynolds of the sci-fi TV series Firefly as you’ve never seen him: dynamic, determined and drop-dead gorgeous in a magnificently rendered 1:6 scale statue prototype.

The man who would become the captain of the Firefly-class transport Serenity is depicted younger as Sergeant Malcolm Reynolds of the Independents Army at the height of the battle of Serenity Valley during the Unification War against the Alliance. He radiates vitality and spirit as he charges up a promontory, brandishing the Independents flag.

The figure has been sculpted in the kind of painstaking detail that collectors have come to expect from QMx — from Mal’s face to his famous sidearm to the buckles on his brown coat. The most challenging part of doing this statue was capturing the face of Nathan Fillion, who portrayed the character.

Malcolm Reynolds Proto-9We turned to Trevor Grove, one of the top portrait sculptors in the business today, who has the uncanny ability to capture a likeness. Trevor has created scores of likenesses for the world’s top collectibles companies, including sculpts of Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dutch from Predator, Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars, and Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow from The Avengers.

The 1:6 Scale Malcolm Reynolds Statue is made of hand-cast polystone and will be hand painted. The flagstaff is metal with a resin flag, though we may end up making a fabric version (stay tuned for more on that). Mal stands approximately 12 inches tall; with the base and flag, the sculpture is 16.5 inches tall. The base measures 11 inches x 9 inches. The entire piece weighs about 10 pounds."

Mal_Proto-1_870x10001.jpg

Mal_Proto-2_760x1000.jpg

Mal_Proto-3_830x1000.jpg

Mal_Proto-4_930x1000.jpg

Mal_Proto-5_910x1000.jpg

Mal_Proto-6_860x1000.jpg

Mal_Proto-7_950x1000.jpg

Mal_Proto-8_810x1000.jpg

Mal_Proto-9_950x10001.jpg

Mal_Proto-10_1000x910.jpg

Sculpt work is beautiful. Really looking forward to the final product.

Between this and the 1/6 Avengers diorama line up from Iron Studios. I may have to reconsider more 1/6 statues.

While I would love the entire group to be made, I could live with just Mal and River statues. River is an absolute must for me.

Between this and the 1/6 Avengers diorama line up from Iron Studios. I may have to reconsider more 1/6 statues.

While I would love the entire group to be made, I could live with just Mal and River statues. River is an absolute must for me.

what is the Avengers dio from Iron Studios?

what is the Avengers dio from Iron Studios?

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5947053&postcount=54
Apparently the bases will connect to form a larger diorama of the entire group from the film. The catch is Iron Studios is a Brazilian based company so obtaining these will be a bit tricky as well as have some serious shipping issues. Yet I'm willing to give it a try. Be nice to have a dio of one of Whedon's/Marvels greatest achievements.

Now with the chance of an 1/6 Serenity/Firefly statue line based off the actual actors/actresses it fits for me. I'm loving the sculpt so far, but curious to see it painted and how well it sells.

Definitely want....the base-connecting concept sounds awesome.

Overall, looks good. Does need a little work with the paint app to the eyes. I think Trevor did a great job on the sculpt. It just needs a little repaint of the eyes. I'm in for one.

Old Grandpa

Looks amazing, put myself on the waitlist. I've never ordered from qmx. Does waitlist on their site the same as sideshow? I.e. it's sold out and I would have to depend on cancellations?

Have to say it is the best sculpt of Nathan that I have seen. The pose is "meh" but the look is dead on, slight smirk and all.

Not up for preorder on their site yet. you get first option to pre-purchase. they are a good company.

Looks amazing, put myself on the waitlist. I've never ordered from qmx. Does waitlist on their site the same as sideshow? I.e. it's sold out and I would have to depend on cancellations?

I'm not going to order this because it's not the Mal I can see in my collection. The pose/flag thing just throws me. It is without a doubt beautiful and the best out there.

As for QMx, if anyone is wondering if you should order with them, if you haven't before, I can assure you (and I am not affiliated with them at all) that they have one of the best customer service departments ever! Their products have also all been true works of art. I have all of their Warehouse 13 prop replica's and though very expensive, were worth every cent when I saw them in hand.

They are a great company to sink your teeth into in my experience.

Now, maybe if this sells well Sideshow will wake the FRAK up if the license ever becomes available for them.

I'd have to agree that the pose and inclusion of the flag just don't work. Bummer as it's really well done, but I'd want Mal from when he's on Serenity, not during the war.

Back