QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having owned a num,ber of the Doctor Who figures, many Hot Toys and the Mal Reynolds figure, I'd say that quality wise the QMx figure is up there with Hot Toys, whereas the BCS figures are more doll-like. They would look fine together though

I'm thinking about picking up a Reynolds figure AND a 1/6 Season 4 Tenth Doctor Who figure to be posed next to each other on a shelf. I know its an odd pairing, but the figures represent together two shows that my wife and I loved together and I'd love to put the figures on the shelf next to our DVD's.

I'm wondering if any of you guys who have the Reynolds may also have the Doctor Who figure. I would love to see a picture of them together to see if the quality is comparable enough to look good together. I have several Hot Toys, but I'm guessing that neither of these are Hot Toys level so I wouldn't want them right next to any of those, but the question is how do they look together?

I can say that the Mal figure could pretty much stand next to a HT figure with little issues. The only thing I didn't liked was the body and material for the straps. The sculpt, paintwork and tailoring are top notch. I also love that they don't overdo the speckles on the faces like a HT head. Overall, it's a splendid figure.

f892b623be54cce93a247003d742e199.jpg
Just waiting for Jayne.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

:lecture

The QMX Mal is excellent.

I've never owned a Big Chief Doctor Who, but going by photos they always struck me as a bit antiquated by today's standards.
My thoughts exactly. Kind of like comparing the first Mal sculpt with the new one. Not even close.

I own BCS Sherlock & John, and I've seen 10t Doctor in hand (my friend owns one).

Quality is great, outfit ad all his accessories are top-notch, and sculpt is accurate - definitely not as bad as first!Mal version - Mal and Doctor will look great together, their paint jobs are compatible.

If you want side by side photos - i can make some, but it will take a few weeks as my friend is on vacation.

It's not supposed to stitch the cut, it's supposed to stitch a fabric underneath that patches the hole.

My thoughts exactly. Kind of like comparing the first Mal sculpt with the new one. Not even close.

Here is my custom bash to the episode Mummy on the Orient Express 12th Doctor next to Mal.

20160605_143535.jpg

20160605_143603.jpg

As soneone who is new to collecting, I've gotta ask... Why do they opt for those horrific looking crotch-pincer stands for these? It looks a little ridiculous? I'm sure its more practical than the around-the-waist ones but... That was the best option they could come up with? Poor mal looks very uncomfortable.

:lecture

The QMX Mal is excellent.

I've never owned a Big Chief Doctor Who, but going by photos they always struck me as a bit antiquated by today's standards.
Yea, I'm starting to doubt if these too figures would look good together.

As soneone who is new to collecting, I've gotta ask... Why do they opt for those horrific looking crotch-pincer stands for these? It looks a little ridiculous? I'm sure its more practical than the around-the-waist ones but... That was the best option they could come up with? Poor mal looks very uncomfortable.

Those just seem to be the popular style now... I ended up swapping it out for a waist grabber; it's pretty well hidden by the coat.

Those just seem to be the popular style now... I ended up swapping it out for a waist grabber; it's pretty well hidden by the coat.

You know, I've never thought about how a Y-stand would look like to a new person lol.

I'm not sure of the exact origin of it, but I was under the impression that it had to do with the TDK-era Hot Toys Batman figures. The waist grabber made indentations in the rubber suit, which people complained about of course, and then all of a sudden the newer Batmen came with the Y-stand. If used correctly, the Y-stand doesn't cause damage to the shirts/waists of figures like the circle waist stands, and doesn't really cause any damage to the inner thighs either (meaning you don't push it up ALLLL the way and you leave it kinda loose). For any figure with a long, loose-fitting coat, the circle waist stands are definitely still preferred for display reasons, but you don't really see them since Hot Toys switched over to the Y-stands.

Hot Toys sets the standard, as always ;)

Yeah, I think in most instances I prefer the Y stands, but in some it just looks a bit odd. And I don't know if the rubber parts were larger than normal or what, but they did look really odd on Mal.

I remember Michael J. Fox complaining about the stands while approving his likeness for the Marty McFly figure, saying he wants an "unviolated Marty Mcfly". That of course led to the reversion to the waist grabber for that figure.

So we should see Jayne at SDCC, according to a cryptic reply I got from QMX on facebook. They said stay tuned to their social media page in about 28 days. Nice to know something new is coming.

So we should see Jayne at SDCC, according to a cryptic reply I got from QMX on facebook. They said stay tuned to their social media page in about 28 days. Nice to know something new is coming.

On Twitter they did 2. So Jayne and another. Awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back