QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well finally got around customizing one of my Mals. Got rid of the Velcro fly. Added a blue shirt. Weathered the pants, the jacket, added the sewn up hole to the left arm. Added a little weathering to the boots. Also took apart the body and tighten the joints...don't see a need to replace it. Love how he turned out. Side by side to the Stock out of the box Mal....the difference is huge.

Enjoy - Jase
f882e5cb01f229a926f58a1c01c38e2b.jpg

91991337ea830e4e1508a482daa4a68c.jpg

b596c11949a701eba13fc9b07d7f479c.jpg

1bfdefe083bd6ac7822acdaefc41160f.jpg

168c62c6becaaa0d4d003c5d679a4272.jpg
e8e1bec00003d7efb83cf74877e676e7.jpg
736e1bdc8b90979979ec0d97f9ea4bd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you guys weather the coat?

I weathered my coat and pants with an air brush, pants with a light brown and sand color paint...pin point mist. The jacket is actually done in several shades of brown and muddy black, I also cut an actual hole in the sleeve, and sewed it in the style it was done on the show. The devil is in the details.

Thanks - Jase
1b04f8e4d0265877ffc8556cb366a308.jpg
964ef021d86a77f6b8f5948ee1c8a7b0.jpg

That looks amazing Jase25! Can anyone give me a hint as to how I could weather the coat without paint or anything too complex? I've never customized a figure before and don't want to ruin him. I'm not looking to add the bullet hole or anything, just want to give it that darker, worn look. I heard wetting it and crumpling it up in a ball could help, as well as rubbing dirt into it? Will these risk ruining it? Does the water really darken it? If anyone has any tips, thankyou!

That looks amazing Jase25! Can anyone give me a hint as to how I could weather the coat without paint or anything too complex? I've never customized a figure before and don't want to ruin him. I'm not looking to add the bullet hole or anything, just want to give it that darker, worn look. I heard wetting it and crumpling it up in a ball could help, as well as rubbing dirt into it? Will these risk ruining it? Does the water really darken it? If anyone has any tips, thankyou!

You can use pastels if you wanna stay away from paint. Just don't seal it once finished if you'd prefer for it to not be permanent.

You can use pastels if you wanna stay away from paint. Just don't seal it once finished if you'd prefer for it to not be permanent.

Thanks, I'll try that! So I just use some different shade brown pastels and colour over the coat in different shades? The pictures here look like the whole coat is an entirely different colour, it seems much darker even in the light patches. Does that mean I need to do the whole coat? Appreciate your advice, I'm a complete and utter novice. Aside from my three Sideshow Spikes, this is my first figure. Braveheart, V, Spiderman and Andy Dusfrene next, with hopefully some Kaylee and Willow down the line! I'll be grateful to know some customization tips thanks to you fine people.

Wow that Captain Hammer is awesome! Well done. If I knew what I were doing I'd love to do a 'Caleb' from Buffy with that extra head. Hair may be too different though. Wonder if anyome will make a Dogberry?

I just got mine today and love it! What are the odds of them doing any of the others? Slim to none?

I thought I remembered them asking whether we wanted to see Jayne or Kaylee next. If there are two in development I'd expect it to be her.
Having a static 1/6 and an articulated 1/6 kaylee at the same time wouldn't mesh imo.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I hope Kaylee is released soon, I love that statue. Also keen to see River. Does anyone know what big show they're talking about and when it is?

I'm thinking about picking up a Reynolds figure AND a 1/6 Season 4 Tenth Doctor Who figure to be posed next to each other on a shelf. I know its an odd pairing, but the figures represent together two shows that my wife and I loved together and I'd love to put the figures on the shelf next to our DVD's.

I'm wondering if any of you guys who have the Reynolds may also have the Doctor Who figure. I would love to see a picture of them together to see if the quality is comparable enough to look good together. I have several Hot Toys, but I'm guessing that neither of these are Hot Toys level so I wouldn't want them right next to any of those, but the question is how do they look together?

Back