QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks - seems like by now most of you have gotten your Mal (if you ordered directly from QMx, you should definitely have yours in hand). So, we're interested in hearing your feedback:

- What did you think of Mal and his value overall?
- What things do you like the most about Mal?
- What things do we need to do better on next time?

And yes, you can take from that there will be a next time. We're just keeping everything on the down low for now as we're a big fan of not repeating our mistakes (like talking about something before we're really sure it's done).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I love Mal and overall he was a fantastic value! He felt complete with all necessary accessories included. I know the head issue cost you guys some money and of course time and frustration, but you did absolutely right by this customer and everybody else by not raising the price and, as a bonus, including the original head. You completely delivered on a A+ stellar sculpt and paint job, which us picky customers demand at this point. Of course that was really important with the first figure in a new line and I think you've delivered a fantastic product. Combined with the Exclusive pistol and hand & free shipping, I got a really great deal. Thanks!

I like best the overall attention to detail with Mal. The brass coat closures, coat material & lining, dog tags and bracers being my favorite bits.

The thinness of the belt, the bunching up around the knees of the padded under suit and the lack of a pistol holding gloved hand were my nit picks. I also wish the velcro on the pants and the shirt snaps were less noticeable.

I look forward to the next 1/6 Firefly figure. :duff

EDIT: Space Cowboys

spacecowboyz.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, he's taller than the photo suggests. :D He's a couple of inches in the back and forced perspective plus the crappy camera phone makes him seem shorter, also his head smaller and more Hot Toys sized next to the other two.

Here's another quick not great phone pic but they're all on the same plane this time.

sc2.jpg

I'm beyond pleased with Mal, as my earlier posts make clear. My only quibbles have been mentioned several times already, the lack of gloved pistol holding hand, and the visibility of the pants Velcro and shirt snaps. There are lower profile options for both out there, I've seen them used in the custom world. :) I love everything else, the sculpt WITH neck, and even the padded undersuit which I think makes the figure look great when futzed appropriately.

I like those pics in the darker light.
Was worried that the materials were much too bright.

Hey folks - seems like by now most of you have gotten your Mal (if you ordered directly from QMx, you should definitely have yours in hand). So, we're interested in hearing your feedback:

And yes, you can take from that there will be a next time. We're just keeping everything on the down low for now as we're a big fan of not repeating our mistakes (like talking about something before we're really sure it's done).

It's annoying that this figure seems only easily available for US customers, your shipping to the UK is ridiculous, I know other companies do it too but with shipping and customs it takes the price to over Hot Toys prices. I don't suppose you're looking into supplying a UK retailer?

Thanks

It's annoying that this figure seems only easily available for US customers, your shipping to the UK is ridiculous, I know other companies do it too but with shipping and customs it takes the price to over Hot Toys prices. I don't suppose you're looking into supplying a UK retailer?

Thanks

In your three years on here, you've never made any friends in the USA?
Just hit up a pal and get it sent to their place, then get them to send to you.

In your three years on here, you've never made any friends in the USA?
Just hit up a pal and get it sent to their place, then get them to send to you.

Well now you're just making me feel sad that I haven't made any friends from the US :-(

Well now you're just making me feel sad that I haven't made any friends from the US :-(

Hehe. But you will get over it and use it as a learning experience.
I have a friend in Illinois(Who would *never* buy HT figures), and my default SS shipping address is his house. He just forwards them to me marked "Doll, $15, gift".
Hey presto.
I make a point of helping people out on here when i can, and doing favours for other people on other forums. A little bit of goodwill goes a long way.
You never know when a friend in another country will come in handy.

Hehe. But you will get over it and use it as a learning experience.
I have a friend in Illinois(Who would *never* buy HT figures), and my default SS shipping address is his house. He just forwards them to me marked "Doll, $15, gift".
Hey presto.
I make a point of helping people out on here when i can, and doing favours for other people on other forums. A little bit of goodwill goes a long way.
You never know when a friend in another country will come in handy.

Thanks man, as you can probably tell by the number of posts I've made I usually only look and hardly post unless it's to buy something on the custom page. The hunt for a US friend continues

Thanks

If you just checked your local retailers, joined their newsletter so you could po, you wouldn't risk seeing this currently sold out or this sold out Both are uk retailers.

You only have yourself to thanks if you miss out. I po'ed mine at a danish retailer the second I saw the prototype.

Thanks man, as you can probably tell by the number of posts I've made I usually only look and hardly post unless it's to buy something on the custom page. The hunt for a US friend continues

One of the easiest things to do if you are active on any forum is to identify someone who collects something from the UK that might be slightly difficult to obtain abroad.
My Brother has a friend in the US that collects those Eaglemoss "one per fortnight" Batmobiles, and the Doctor Who figurines. My Brother gets them for him and when he has five or ten, sends them to his friend. He never charges him, but his friend reciprocates with things my Brother needs from the USA, and also when my Brother needs stuff from Sideshow, he gets them shipped to his friend.
Another friend collects the Star Trek miniatures from Eaglemoss, so they have a similar deal going on there.
I've done the same with online friends from South Africa, Slovenia, Russia, China, Japan, Brazil, USA, Canada, Italy, Germany, France, and even England(Lol), to name just a few. In hobby circles, people always remember that you helped them out.

He turned out great and am really glad you took the extra effort to include the extra head sculpt, which is great. Really happy with the price. If you can keep these under $200 going forward I'll definitely keep picking these up.

What I like the most is that he looks great and the price is good and you went the extra mile to do the figure right. I would rather wait longer to get something right than get it more quickly.

I would have liked more gloved hands. Also the shirt and waist of the pants look a little loose.

Can't wait to see what is coming next in the line.

Believe me, we are every bit as frustrated with the cost of shipping as you are. Because we don't aggressively markup our products, we have to charge what we get charged for shipping. Doesn't seem to matter how much we ship overseas, the prices keep going up.

We do have an extensive network of resellers in Europe, especially in the UK - Gear4games and Forbidden Planet to name two. But our European dealers did not order a lot of Mals and our understanding is, if you didn't preorder, you probably won't see Mal is stock in the EU in many places.

The principal reason is they don't believe there's a market for Firefly in their areas. One sure way to fix this is to call or visit your local collectibles shop, tell them how much you love Firefly and let them know if they stock the goodies you're looking for, you'll buy it from them.

Enough people do this and I think for the next release the stock situation in Europe will be much better.

Just my two cents :)

Forbidden planet don't sell a huge amount because they charge in pounds what the US market pays in dollars. So a $230 product is £230 and that's $330...
The reason a lot of their sixth scale stock stagnates on the shelves.

Back