QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Georgia, so I'm not sure how that's one-day shipping from Arizona. But it usually is. And they ship out so fast. Sometimes within the hour.

Hey folks - seems like by now most of you have gotten your Mal (if you ordered directly from QMx, you should definitely have yours in hand). So, we're interested in hearing your feedback:

- What did you think of Mal and his value overall?
- What things do you like the most about Mal?
- What things do we need to do better on next time?

And yes, you can take from that there will be a next time. We're just keeping everything on the down low for now as we're a big fan of not repeating our mistakes (like talking about something before we're really sure it's done).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Hi Andy, first, congrats on Mal and your genuine love for Firefly.

I got Mal last week and he looks good, especially with the newer head. A few things. The body to me seems and feels flimsy. The shoulders on mine will not rotate forward (like when he would aim his revolver) and feel like they would break if I force them. The proportions seem a bit off to me as well. I think a HT knockoff would be a good fit for these although I don't know about the legal ramifications of that.

A bit of weathering on the coat would have been cool but hey, I can do that myself. It would have been nice to have a tight gun holding gloved hand too. My main issue was with the shirt (and I contacted QC about this). The buttons are a bit large for scale and stick out a tad when looking from the front. The top snap is also unraveling and thus hangs open at the top. QC said they didn't have any replacement shirts (or any parts for that matter) to send me and wanted me to send the whole thing back for a replacement. After waiting a day or so for a response, I just got a spare from Toy Anxiety. For the price it would cost me to send Mal back, I just figured that was a better solution.

Long story short, having a bunch of spare parts to send out as replacements would be the way to go.

Getting him on a better body and fixing some of those QC issues would make that price point fantastic.

That being said, I can tell this was a labor of love from you guys, so kudos. I'm looking forward to crew member #2... Don't forget the winter hat. ;)

Agree on all comments above. Love that you made Mal! A couple of other thoughts:

1. I would suggest using a body with neck, and having the head neckless. You can see the gap between his head and body right now.

2. Making his belt a bit thicker

Thank you for asking and entertaining our OCD tendencies to perfectly screen accurate figures!

Mine is out for delivery.

If only two figures were to get made from Serenity I would want them to be Mal and River. Those two best represent the series and film for me. That is a hint by the way. :lol

For me it would be Mal, Jayne, and Zoe. While River might better represent the series, I think Zoe and Jayne would make more interesting figures.

A less busy stand would be nice, I don't need my stand to have logos and documentation, just a simple Firefly logo would be fine.

Hey folks - seems like by now most of you have gotten your Mal (if you ordered directly from QMx, you should definitely have yours in hand). So, we're interested in hearing your feedback:

And yes, you can take from that there will be a next time. We're just keeping everything on the down low for now as we're a big fan of not repeating our mistakes (like talking about something before we're really sure it's done).

Really happy with my Mal figure, and thought he was a fantastic value for the price! The headsculpt is amazing and it looks like you got all the other costume details right as well.

Honestly my only real quibble is just the slightly too large size of the head, which tends to throw off the overall proportions and make the body look a bit too small and short in comparison (although thankfully not as much as on Sideshow's recent Superman figure). Of course I realize that could be more the fault of the original sculpt than anything you guys did. And by this point it might be best to keep the head size consistent for any future Firefly figures.

And I also have to agree with Reinhardt about the neckless thing. You can just get so much more expression out of a figure when you can tilt it's head up or down or to the side a little bit. With a sculpted neck you're pretty much limited to just turning it left and right.

All in all though, I'd say the positives on this figure MORE than outweigh the negatives, and I'm really happy to have him on my shelf. :)

For me it would be Mal, Jayne, and Zoe. While River might better represent the series, I think Zoe and Jayne would make more interesting figures.

Yeah I suppose Mal, Jayne and Zoe would be considered the main trio of the show... but personally I'd go with the characters I found most memorable and which would look best on my shelf, which would be Mal, Jayne, and Inara (especially if QMX could make her look as gorgeous as she did on the show). :)

I would have like to have seen more options for hands; definitely a gun-wielding gloved hand, and maybe a set of hands at rest or with fingers splayed. Other than that, I'm really happy with the way the figure turned out.

9/10 for me.

The tailoring, the sculpt and the work on the pistols... All homeruns!

What could be better? He could have more hand options. Gloved trigger hand would have been nice. Would it be possible to include one with a future figure? Maybe could have included his rifle as well. QC checks on the bodies. A lot of us had issues with the shoulders rotating forward.

This has to be one of the best releases for a company's first go at a figure. Bravo! Looking forward to the next one and the rest of the team!

Over here.

Fed Ex delivered my Mal to the wrong address and luckily that person drove it to my house. I guess there really are some nice people out there after all.

I am new to the hobby and between Sideshow and Hot Toys have 11 1/6 figures and I have to say this Malcolm Reynolds is my favorite. It was also my most wanted. Everything looks good and he was easy to pose as I wanted. The only bad thing is that I had to take his jacket and shirt off because it seems the arms were both put on backwards if that makes any sense. Thanks to QMX and I look forward to their next figure in the series or even other licenses.

Fed Ex delivered my Mal to the wrong address and luckily that person drove it to my house. I guess there really are some nice people out there after all.

I am new to the hobby and between Sideshow and Hot Toys have 11 1/6 figures and I have to say this Malcolm Reynolds is my favorite. It was also my most wanted. Everything looks good and he was easy to pose as I wanted. The only bad thing is that I had to take his jacket and shirt off because it seems the arms were both put on backwards if that makes any sense. Thanks to QMX and I look forward to their next figure in the series or even other licenses.
That happens. You have to twist the and forward from where the biceps become the shoulder.

I would bet they used the same factory as sideshow. I've had a few backwards arms from their in house figures.

It happens when you put the arms back or above the head to put tnt clothes on etc.

Over here.

Hi, Andy -

Overall value - I bought the Exclusive and got the free Priority shipping, so the total cost was $179.99 delivered for me. The price at face value is very fair for an officially licensed 1/6 figure currently.
Considering the figure itself - materials, paint, QC, I think it's a solid value. Examining the figure in-depth I found many more impressive attributes than quibbles.

Liked most - obviously the new head is wonderful. I would agree with Marfmaster that I even prefer it to current Hot Toys heads because it lacks the over-used freckling. The eyes are glossy and realistic, the skin tone is very natural, and the eyebrows are subtle and clean.
The coat looks and feels correct. Great choice of material. Likewise, the holster looks authentic and fits the pistol perfectly. While the boots hinder ankle articulation, the sculpt is beautifully detailed and worth the compromise in my opinion. The dogtags are an appreciated inclusion, even if they are seldom seen. Painting and sculpting on the hands is great, I especially like the slightly worn paint job on the gloves.

Could be improved - I'm not fond of the "cut-metal" buckles on the coat, but particularly on the belt buckle. It feels flimsy and looks cheap. The thin, sharp spokes of the buckle are scary when adjusting the belt. Speaking of, the belt is very thin and feels like it could tear easily (though mine has not). Looking at reference pics it definitely scales nicely and looks correct but nonetheless I would prefer a sturdier material.
The mended bullet hole on the browncoat - this is probably the only thing that really bothers me. While I don't mind weathering a garment myself, it's very hard to tell from the reference pics I have exactly how the stitching sits. I really wish that detail had been included.

As has been mentioned - gloved pistol hand would be great.

While I am okay with the body, I do hope that if/when Jane comes along you are able to develop or source a proper muscular body.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I did have a minor QC problem with my suspenders. But customer service was great and offered to replace the whole figure. I opted to fix it with a dab of glue and all's well.

Hi, Andy -

Overall value - I bought the Exclusive and got the free Priority shipping, so the total cost was $179.99 delivered for me. The price at face value is very fair for an officially licensed 1/6 figure currently.
Considering the figure itself - materials, paint, QC, I think it's a solid value. Examining the figure in-depth I found many more impressive attributes than quibbles.

Liked most - obviously the new head is wonderful. I would agree with Marfmaster that I even prefer it to current Hot Toys heads because it lacks the over-used freckling. The eyes are glossy and realistic, the skin tone is very natural, and the eyebrows are subtle and clean.
The coat looks and feels correct. Great choice of material. Likewise, the holster looks authentic and fits the pistol perfectly. While the boots hinder ankle articulation, the sculpt is beautifully detailed and worth the compromise in my opinion. The dogtags are an appreciated inclusion, even if they are seldom seen. Painting and sculpting on the hands is great, I especially like the slightly worn paint job on the gloves.

Could be improved - I'm not fond of the "cut-metal" buckles on the coat, but particularly on the belt buckle. It feels flimsy and looks cheap. The thin, sharp spokes of the buckle are scary when adjusting the belt. Speaking of, the belt is very thin and feels like it could tear easily (though mine has not). Looking at reference pics it definitely scales nicely and looks correct but nonetheless I would prefer a sturdier material.
The mended bullet hole on the browncoat - this is probably the only thing that really bothers me. While I don't mind weathering a garment myself, it's very hard to tell from the reference pics I have exactly how the stitching sits. I really wish that detail had been included.

As has been mentioned - gloved pistol hand would be great.

While I am okay with the body, I do hope that if/when Jane comes along you are able to develop or source a proper muscular body.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I did have a minor QC problem with my suspenders. But customer service was great and offered to replace the whole figure. I opted to fix it with a dab of glue and all's well.
You didn't get charged tax?

Over here.

I guess I would have to check my CC statement to be positive, but according to my invoice I didn't get charged tax over here.

We're required to charge tax in California, Florida and Pennsylvania because we have offices in those states. The rest of the states don't have to pay sales tax.

We're required to charge tax in California, Florida and Pennsylvania because we have offices in those states. The rest of the states don't have to pay sales tax.
Oh cool! Didn't know there was an office here in Florida! Where is it? [emoji14]

Over here.

Back