QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine yesterday and am very happy with it. I have been reading through all of the concerns people have about it, but they aren't really issues for me. I don't spend a lot of time posing my figures. I go for a very natural pose, not boring, but one that allows for the figure to stand on its own. I have no need to raise Mal's arms, so I guess I'll never have the problem of tight shoulders.

IMO, the size of the head is just fine. Maybe its the bulkiness of the coat that makes it look right, or maybe it is simply the right size. It may be bigger than a lot Hot Toys heads, but my recent experience has shown that HT sizes have gotten bigger. This is exactly the same size as Hot Toy's BD Terminator and Commando heads. Not sure if the bigger heads will be standard as my Luke Skywalker has the smaller size head.

I'm excited about getting the rest of the crew. Hope the line doesn't fizzle out.

I just received my figure this morning, and I was definitely concerned about the reports of Mal apparently having a big noggin. And I'm pleased to say that, having the figure in-hand, it looks fine to me. However, I will note that I had the hardest time taking a picture of him without the size of his head looking exaggerated. It was the weirdest thing. Futzing with the body and the clothing did help improve the look-- square the shoulders, tighten the gunbelt, pull down the coat and sleeves, that sort of thing. At any rate, I think he looks really good in person, despite how deceptive the photos sometimes manage to be... Thanks, QMX!

mal1.jpg

I got mine yesterday and am really happy with it. I had the discounted preorder at bbts ($20 less) but the free shipping (packed out very nicely--gotta say much better than any Sideshow delivery I've ever gotten) and earlier delivery made getting the exclusive worthwhile. The head size is good to me. I actually think most Hot Toys heads are too small myself though. Not a problem to me since I avoid mixing lines in the same display.

Mine actually arrived today--looks very good, there's a big improvement with the new head. Old head looks like older Sideshow quality.

By the way, he has some dogtags around his neck that you might not notice when you switch heads, it's under his shirt so make sure to get that

Got mine the other day and overall he looks great! As everyone has said, the new head is fantastic. You can really see the Mal smirk in the sculpt. I'm not crazy about the body, so will likely put him on a TT narrow. Also, I wish they used a sculpted neck as with his shirt open at the top, you can see the ugly neck joint. I hope to be able to hide it when I futz with him. Lastly I don't like that the buttons to snap the shirt together are visible but I imagine with some futzing that too can be fixed.

Hopefully this weekend I will get around to swapping the body. Will post pics when I do.

Kudus to them for fixing that disaster head, might pick this up just to support honest ethics....<HT and SSC I hope your watching this>

bigbadtoystore.com now has it in stock. Hopefully tfaw.com has it and they are just behind because of the holidays.

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Lee at Collectibles Direct responded in his thread:

I asked if he could get any more, he said he could but would put the price up - so, I'm out. I really wanted this figure.

I have another retailer I'm talking to now, but would've preferred to use Collectibles Direct. I don't ever seem to have much luck with them though. . .

Thanks for all the photos and descriptions guys. I am really looking forward to Mal. Just shipped my bbts loot pile so should be in hand next week. Bring on the rest of the crew QMx!

This is an awesome figure, at first I opened it and saw the portrait and was like "ah man this sucks" and then I noticed the new portrait in a baggy, so I put that one on and it's an awesome likeness.... Awesome job...

I asked if he could get any more, he said he could but would put the price up - so, I'm out. I really wanted this figure.

I have another retailer I'm talking to now, but would've preferred to use Collectibles Direct. I don't ever seem to have much luck with them though. . .

For what it's worth, we've held the line on the price of the Mal figure for retailers as well. Assuming they're still available for reorder, can't see a reason why the price would need to go up.

For what it's worth, we've held the line on the price of the Mal figure for retailers as well. Assuming they're still available for reorder, can't see a reason why the price would need to go up.

Any chance we can get a cheaper international shipping option?
The only current options are about double what I'd expect them to be.

Trying a different pose for mine. I also added a bit more padding to the chest to make it a bit wider and flatter, and also to the shoulders to make them a bit wider. And at some point I think I might try weathering the coat as well, since it's looking just a little too clean at the moment for my taste.

Still though, even without any mods it's an excellent figure and I'm so happy to finally have it. :D

IMG_1729 (597x900).jpg

IMG_1730 (706x900).jpg

IMG_1724 (554x900).jpg

Maybe because the pound has fallen against the dollar quite a bit since mid-2014.

They told me that the "wholesale price increased". I'm just not prepared to pay their new asking price - An extra £22 - which is 16% more. That can't be all because of £ vs $, surely?

I'm trying with another retailer. May be also too much because their price is the same as CD original price, but they charge delivery on top. If no luck there, I'll just wait for the second-hand market.

I've had the QMX Mal figure page in my bookmarks since it was first announced (and even when they changed their site) and I checked it every couple of weeks and registered my email for a notification. I was planning on ordering direct from them, otherwise I would've preordered from the UK at the time. Disappointed I've missed out.

Getting this figure gave me the excuse to watch Firefly again (mainly to assess screen accuracy of the figure, fix his coat etc...), but I forgot how awesome the show was. I am literally laughing out loud in moments. Must have Jayne and Zoie!

Thanks! And it's just some basic white padding you can find in any fabric store. It comes pretty thin and you can layer it if need be, and tape it down on the edges to hold it in place.

Here's a pic someone took of it online:

View attachment 235356

The figure comes with a little padding already, right? Did you add to that or replace it?

(Your shots look great, by the way! Loving that pose!)

Back