Q: R2D2 Hasbro 1/6, which one to get?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chamildav

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm not expecting R2D2 or C3P0 anytime soon from SSC so I'm wondering if any of you SW toy experts, or anyone else since your likely more expert than I am, would suggest which R2D2 that Hasbro (or any other maker) produced in 1/6th (more or less) is the way to go to have a figure to display with the SSC SW offerings? I figure to try to hunt one or another down but I need some direction. If you can help it's much apreciated, and thanks all for taking a look.

The first R2-D2 and the first C-3po work fine. They also made a two pack with both of them that talks. Hasbros seem to be selling very cheaply so you shouldn't have a problem.

Actually, IMO, all the droids that Hasbro did werent bad at all....I would Display them with Sideshow figures...

I just won a set on ebay, they're dirty and they light up. Did Hasbro make a talking set?

If it's the Toys-R-Us exclusive 2-pack, then I believe R2 has a red light and C-3PO's eyes light up AND C-3PO talks. I could be wrong, tho. I sold my set of those a long long time ago.

- J!

MicroJow said:
If it's the Toys-R-Us exclusive 2-pack, then I believe R2 has a red light and C-3PO's eyes light up AND C-3PO talks. I could be wrong, tho. I sold my set of those a long long time ago.

- J!

You are correct... it was a TRU exclusive, the Droids Electronic two-pack. And C-3PO is the only one of the pair that talks. It's strange that R2 does not. However, unlike EVERY small R2 out there that lights up, this one lights up in the right area (the red circle below the center eye) and NOT the center eye.

I would vote for this to be the best of the R2 12" scaled figures. In fact, I've sold all of the others.

As for scale, all of Hasbro's 12 scaled R2 units are a tad off... but not so much as to make that big of a difference. Maybe less than a half of an inch? When I put R2 next to the Medicom Luke, the droid looks too big. So it's close.

The Hasbro R2 being big next to Medicom Luke isn't a surprise, Medicom Luke isn't really 1/6 scale. He ought to be just right for the SSC figures.

I don't know that SSC can improve on this R2, unless he talks as well, but the 3PO could be a bit thinner.

The KB Toys exclusive TC-14 also speaks. It would be great to pose with a Nute Gunray, if Sideshow gives one, or even to serve drinks to that new Qui-gon.

Darklord Dave said:
The Hasbro R2 being big next to Medicom Luke isn't a surprise, Medicom Luke isn't really 1/6 scale. He ought to be just right for the SSC figures.

I don't know that SSC can improve on this R2, unless he talks as well, but the 3PO could be a bit thinner.

Though the Hasbro R2's are pretty good,there's plenty of improvements that could be made. I'd like to see a Sideshow R2 with some (or all) of the following,

-Pop up sensor scope
-Retractable computer interface link
-Full lights and sound (as many bleeps and whistles as possible!)
-Tool arms that fold away into R2's body
-Compartment for Luke's lightsaber that has some kind of spring mechanism to fire it through the air.
-drinks tray with glasses (I know one of the Hasbro ones had this but I'd like it as a standard accessory for an OT R2 )

Obviously Sideshow would want to get the most out the mold,but as all the astromech droids share the same body type,it wouldn't cost as much as a whole new figure to produce new heads for R4-M9,R5-D4,or even the R3 units with the clear dome. If Sideshow are worried about the sales of astromechs on their own they could consider other 2-packs aside from the obvious R2-D2 & C3-PO combo such as,
Jawa & R5-D4
Rebel Fleet Trooper & R4-M9
Rebel Pilot & R2 or R5 unit
Imperial Officer with black R2 or R5 unit
They could also do both OT & PT versions of R2-D2.

I would love Kenny Baker inside, but all of the tools and bells and whistles would be sweet.

I also like the idea of the multi-pack, to pump out generic troopers or smaller characters with a value addition of a new droid. Sign me up for the Jawa set!

I will wait for Sideshow to make R2, as the Hasbro one, which looks awesome, always had something about it that seemed insubstantial, like their initial Yoda.

bcm77 said:
Though the Hasbro R2's are pretty good,there's plenty of improvements that could be made. I'd like to see a Sideshow R2 with some (or all) of the following,

-Pop up sensor scope
-Compartment for Luke's lightsaber that has some kind of spring mechanism to fire it through the air.
-drinks tray with glasses (I know one of the Hasbro ones had this but I'd like it as a standard accessory for an OT R2 )
The Hasbro one I have has like four different arm attachments, a sensor scope attachment and the front compartments on both sides open. As well as the middle leg being retractible. (insert joke here)

Murderofcrows71 said:
bcm77 said:

-Pop up sensor scope
The Hasbro one I have has like four different arm attachments, a sensor scope attachment and the front compartments on both sides open. As well as the middle leg being retractible. (insert joke here)

Do you have any pics as I'm intrested to see what it's like.

here's a quick pic of my hasbro R2 with the new Sideshow Luke. The long doors on either side of R2 open to attach an arm and a computer interface. The sensor is attachable to the dome I believe, I haven't tried though.
LukenR2.jpg

The scale sure seems about right. I might have to dig mine out of storage now. These may be one of the few hasbro pieces that could realistically be displayed with sideshow figures :google

In person it actually looks more in scale, the angle the picture was taken makes R2 look a tad small.

Oh and here's the pics of the attachments that came with the version of R2 I got.
r2tools.jpg

Thanks for the pics of the R2 with the attachments,it must have been an earlier release than the Electronic one I have. I think when my Luke turns up I'll display my R2 with him as the scale looks pretty good. I don't say nice things about Hasbro 12" figures very often but their R2 figures are excellent. I'd still like to see Sideshow have a go at topping them though.

Back