PREVIEW : JAWS Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arent "Maquettes" technically the sculpts used as visual efx reference for a movie? and would that mean that this is a direct repro of the original maquette sculpted for Jaws?

or is the term "maquette" much more loose than I thought and this is a new sculpt depicting the original Bruce?

Im trying to talk myself into this one ...

Collector Freak said:
I don't like the base. :sick

Yea,

They should have had a pole connecting the shark to the base. It would look better IMO.

Cool!! Just not sure if I will be able to afford it or not. Will probably still place an order for it at least.

I don't like the base either. I really don't understand why they went that route. If the MR Y-Wing can support itself on a pole, then surely the shark can.

Did anyone confirm that it is really 30 inches long?!?!

I hope so!

We need more pics.

I'd love to get it -- but got nowhere to display something of that size.

In all honesty, I would have preferred a 1/6th bust of Bruce jumping out of acrylic water (like when Quint harpoons him in the jaw).

They shouldve done a translucent base instead with seaweed at the bottom
and a severed leg floating to the bottom like in the movie.

They also couldve made the base wide enough so the shark just rests on it.
You could pick it up and take a closer look if you wanted.

That ideas free Sideshow...hire me, Ive got millions of them.:naughty

Last edited:
VanHelscwing said:
They shouldve done a translucent base instead with seaweed at the bottom
and a severed leg floating to the bottom like in the movie.

They also couldve made the base wide enough so the shark just rests on it.
You could pick it up and take a closer look if you wanted.

That ideas free Sideshow...hire me, Ive got millions of them.:naughty

Thank goodness non of those ideas were used...

1. there is no severed leg floating in the movie (that was Jaws 3)

2. the full view of the shark is never seen underwater (real sharks were used for the cage scene with a midget inside) There are certainly no scenes that are even close to the bottom of the ocean where seaweed would be.

This is a maquette based on a movie, not a toy.

The only thing I'm not nuts about on this maquette are the claspers on the bottom back of the shark. Perhaps I'm just not getting a good enough look, but they appear awkward.

Elwood why dont you take the time and watch the first movie again.
(No Jaws fan would watch anything but the first one anyway)
Specifically when Martin Brodys son and friends captsize their boat and the
man in row boat comes over to see if theyre ok. What happens next Elwood?
Whats seen floating to the bottom Elwood?

The Shark maquette is a piece of art therefore why not use artistic license and make it appear free floating?

elwood49 said:
There are certainly no scenes that are even close to the bottom of the ocean where seaweed would be.

This is a maquette based on a movie, not a toy.

Yeah, Elwood I know. There were also no black bases shown either. How literal do you want to get?
Do you want to show the rail system the makers of the movie used?

My Tokyo/Disneyworld Nautilus rests on a display stand, same principal.
Its really not much of a maquette if thats all theyre going to do. A static model on a base. Wow.
At least the other company got creative and gave Bruce some barrels.
Is ok to think outside the box Elwood?

Last edited:
Lembas Eater said:
I have a Sneaky Feeling that this is a Maquette of the Mechanical Bruce, complete with hydraulics attached, the whole mechanism.

That`s what I was hoping for.:banghead

Sharks a Shark:naughty

I love the movie and was really looking forward to this. I just think there are a lot of ways to make this a more interesting piece than just a shark on a black base. It just seems so bland.

I love the Jaws Exclusive, and I bought one. I plan to get the 4 B&W sketches customed framed and matted to hang above the shark. I'm so happy that there is FINALLY a Jaws related piece to buy!:banana

I agree that the "wall" holding up the shark should have been something less conspicuous, but that doesn't dull my enthusiasm for this piece.

I'm torn...

I really want an official JAWS piece...but I'm not sure this is the one. Not for the price. Its a great sculpt, looks like Bruce, right down to the "tear" down the right eye and the bloody scars around his mouth and the speckles on his nose. But it is devoid of personality. Not sure how you'd give a maquette shark "personality" but something...tilted sideways to bite the estuary victim, head turned as if he's spotted prey, maybe even a harpoon in his lower jaw would have spiced him up.

I suppose there's always maquette-bashing...:horror

Back