Premium Format Mummy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
creecher said:
This quick release has caught me by surprise, when I thought I was prepared. As usual it's the shipping, and this is a weighty piece. It will add around $200 to the price. I now have to contact the distributor for availability and a price, and they are slack, so I don't expect an answer this month.

I didn't expect it to be that much, but I can see why it is. That sarcophagus is great. I don't know if I'd like to mount it on a wall, more secure it to the wall of the shelf it is sitting on. I can't wait to see pics of the back. Any shots at an edition size. 700 about right?

I think this will set a precedent for a price point on the Creature of the Black Lagoon. My 1/6 drought continues. I can't afford to order it yet, and I wont know for a month. Probably after the Con, so any word from the Con is going to prick my ears. As if I'm not going to get it if it looks good. It looks great. I know what you mean by that dusty chaulkey finish it appears to have, but I think Dusty's word is good enough for me. Crikey this is The Mummy, they're not making any more.

:mummy

I'm guessing about 500 to 600. Just like the Wolf Man, US web exclusive but available internationally through retailers. Hopefully you can get him at a good price Creech. At least if you can snag him locally, you don't have to pay all the extras, so that should help a lot. The price doesn't surprise me, but including the lid did! I wasn't really expecting that! :chew

I am not into the Universal monsters, but this looks to be the best PF yet in that line. So many display options--I think it is well worth the price!

Well, I ordered mine straightaway. I want to see the back of the piece, however. I am not sure how I feel about the entire magnetic adherence idea. I am also not sure how I feel about wall mounts, and the "tacky" holes that will be on the back of the sarcophogus. Concerns about the piece with me are as follows: if the entire thing is primarily polystone, and the Mummy himself is held in magnetically...won't this result in paint scuffs or chipping in the future?, also since no cloth is used and the wrappings are polystone, won't the figure damage the inside of his funerary resting place? At any rate, I'm still going to buy it, as I have already ordered mine. Even though I am still unemployed in a labor dispute. Good Lord, I am totally mad! I really hope we don't see anymore 1:1 busts until 2007. I'm going to have to sell my internal organs on ebay if this keeps up!!!:lol

Dusty...what quality/production steps are taken to insure the piece doesn't get worn, etc.? Oh yeah...and how is it possible that this thing will be here by Christmas??? Have the Chinese manufacturers already been working on this bad boy or what???:D

im going to cancel luke yoda statue for this.cant afford everything
especially since there will be some sdcc anoucement ill also want,know doubt.

Anton Phibes said:
Dusty...what quality/production steps are taken to insure the piece doesn't get worn, etc.? Oh yeah...and how is it possible that this thing will be here by Christmas??? Have the Chinese manufacturers already been working on this bad boy or what???:D

Hm, I know nothing about production, that's a Brant question (*looks for Brant*), but I can tell you that the magnets are super strong, and it looks soooo cool. I saw it in the office a few weeks ago and just had to stop and play with it. In fact, I didn't even know it was ours at the time! :lol

I agree with Lcummins, for some reason it didn't throw me for a loop like I thought it would. Over all it is awesome, its the kinda piece you want two of, one with an open sarcophagus and one with it closed. Seriously, how to get around that dillemma...

SideshowDusty said:
I can tell you that the magnets are super strong, and it looks soooo cool.

Dusty--Would you say that they are strong enough to, maybe...

...hold the mummy or sarcophagus lid up on my refrigerator door?

Because if they are, I will consider making my first Universal Monster purchase. I think that the lid would look great next to my mynock...

:mummy :mummy :mummy :mummy :mummy

mummydive8gd.jpg

Wow, I don't know what to say. I was really looking forward to this piece. Love the concept, display options, the scale, the overall design... but I have to agree with others that have posted here - I was shocked that it didn't throw me for a loop.:confused:

Of all the things this piece has going for it, the likeness is not one of them. Seriously, Sideshow has produced better likenesses of the Karloff Mummy in their smaller scaled figures. To me this one seems (from the photos) to be a bit heavyhanded, reminding me more of the Little Big Head Mummy. Am I alone in this?

Kudos to Sideshow for even attempting this project and giving it the royal treatment it deserved, but the likeness is keeping me from picking it up at this time. Perhaps I will warm to it, but I thought this was going to be a no brainer for me, as for now - no sale. :mummy

Wow, I LOVED it, and it's ordered. Thank goodness for flex pay! I think it looks fantastic, and I know that, as per usual, it will look even better in person! :chew

What a novel idea giving us the option for a wall mount piece or shelf display.I think the likeness is great,sometimes photo's can distort things,wich is probably the case here with Karloff's head tilted back as it is.The Bottom line is that this is going to be a jaw dropper in everyone's collection.Imagine how you might shock your guests by removing the sarcophagus lid to reveal the wickedly detailed Mummy within.I know it will become a ritual every time my friends stop over. :mummy

Hmmm, maybe you have to see it in person to be impressed like I was :duff

Oh, and Tom, the one we have here in the building definitely has magnets strong enough to hold it to the fridge, but I'm not sure how strong the production run magnets will be... let me tell you, it would make a fantastic fridge ornament :lol Oh, and you don't want to put it next to any speakers or monitors, for sure!!

SideshowDusty said:
Oh, and you don't want to put it next to any speakers or monitors, for sure!!
Fine, I'll just set it next to my floppy discs.

I doubt I'll last much longer, I'm gonna wind up ordering it, which means I gotta get a wolfman too. Possibly the Phantom as well.

Agent0028 said:
Fine, I'll just set it next to my floppy discs.

I doubt I'll last much longer, I'm gonna wind up ordering it, which means I gotta get a wolfman too. Possibly the Phantom as well.

You know you want them. No Universal PF collection would be complete without Wolfman. :D

That's the problem, I do want them, but I want a buncha SW ones too. :crying I think the thing that is kinda putting me off about the Mummy is that I want to display the sarcophagus lid and the Mummy at the same time. But I'm afraid that if I stand the lid upright next to the Mummy it'll fall and break, and even if it doesn't it'll take up as much space as an additional PF.

Agent0028 said:
But I'm afraid that if I stand the lid upright next to the Mummy it'll fall and break, and even if it doesn't it'll take up as much space as an additional PF.
its ok. sometimes I have to talk myself out of things too :lol

I think this is an extremely ambitious project, very well executed, with one exception — the base. I understand the need for it, but did it have to include the distracting artifacts and the scarab beetle? The base is just to facilitate a shelf display and the entire sarcophagus can be removed from it, right?!?

The likeness to Karloff on the figure, itself, does seem vary from photo to photo, the strongest, IMO, being the three-quarter view of the full figure. I can't quite get a handle on the tilt of the head either; In some of the photos it appears to be up and to our left, rather than down, but that's also true of the brief glimpses we get of Imhotep in Whemple's hut. I think the other thing that might be skewing the likeness for some is the fact that his eyes are open, which, to me, makes his expression almost pensively sad. Not a bad thing and, actually, quite appropriate to his character and quest.

The sarcophagus is magnificent and, as mentioned above, worth the price on its own. The only lost detail appears to be the omission of the "Imhotep: High Priest of the Sun at Karnak" inscription and the "sacred spells which protect the soul in its journey to the underworld" that were chipped from his coffin.

Anyway, great piece, long overdue, well worth the wait.

One last thing: I may have posted this before but, here's a couple of behind-the-scenes pics of Dear Boris enjoying a day of beauty:

krlffmmymkp0kw.jpg

FrankenFan said:
I think this is an extremely ambitious project, very well executed, with one exception — the base. I understand the need for it, but did it have to include the distracting artifacts and the scarab beetle? The base is just to facilitate a shelf display and the entire sarcophagus can be removed from it, right?!?

You are correct, sir. If you choose to hang it on your wall, it removes from the base. Or if you choose to lay it down like a coffin or something. There are many display options! :duff

Re: Premium Format Mummy....It's the eyes

I think I know what the likeness issue is with our perception on the mummy sculpt. I, too, think it looks a little off, but still stupendous. Her's my thought. Its the eyes. Usually in photos, etc he is shown eyes closed or barely opened to narrow slits. These eyes appear to be the "Oh crap, he's awake" and getting ready to go on his little walk mode. Still loves it though. And Im a having me one for sure. :rotfl

Back