POTC: AWE Discussion - WITH SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darthviper107 said:
^You'd wait for Keira Knightly...

I still think it should have ended with Jack as the new captain of the Dutchman. And is anyone sad that Norrington had almost no purpose in the movie other than to just die?

First off, I would most certainly go running for Keira on the 10 year day, I know she's not a lot of people's type but I'd hit that in a second.

Secondly, I think it was necessary to see Jack really finally put others before himself, so not taking the immortality of captaining the Dutchman was the right course.

As for Norrington, I never really cared for him and felt his purpose was minimal after the first Pirates.

I was happy to see Beckett's right hand man go down at the tentacles of Jones though, I hated that dude, he's the character in a film you wait and cross your fingers to see die horribly.

darthviper107 said:
^You'd wait for Keira Knightly...

Yeah, but that doesn't mean she'd wait for me :lol

Norrington was pretty pointless in this (as was Sao Feng. I mean WHY was he there? Barbossa could have had the charts and Barbosa or Jack could have voted for the other at the council. Those two items were really all he was there for). His sword had a more important role than he did. Will 'died' by the sword he made! :lol

Maybe the DVD will add that extra line or two in about the curse. Everyone then will be like "how did I miss that the first time?"

Definitely an interesting tidbit Robodad. That line would definitely fit in to Jones and Dalma's conversation while she is in the brig. Where he ask her why she did it and she responds that it was her nature or something like that and that he wouldn't love her any other way.

Wow, thank you so much for clearing that up!!!! I felt SOOO bad after the movie thinking that he was cursed forever.

I can sleep better now :)

Great info about the curse, the ending feels much better now.

And I totally agree about Sao Feng, he was a cool character that had no real purpose in the film. I was thinking about picking up the HT figure... but that was not a $100+ figure performance.

This is a film I really need to rewatch, I found myself lost by the constant who is screwing who over. In the end it all seemed to work itself out. But I felt like I needed a map just to keep it all straight. Sure a second viewing will help immesurably.

Great MOVIE!!!! I loved it!
Things I enjoyed:
Story coming full circle
Davey Jones-staying bad instead going the redemtion story route.
The two knucleheads! Those two pirate guys crack me up, their like the new Don Knotts and Tim Conway.
With all the back stabbing, skeming they all ended up helping each other in the end!
LOVED what Jack did to save Will
loved seeing the ship sailing at night under the stars that was just awesome looking.

I rank this 9.3/10 I'm going to have to see it again to catch more

I liked it. Not as much as 1 & 2, but a lot.

I think Jack is a kind of secondary character in these though. Somewhere I read he is the "quintesential secondary character". Although, it has all really become his tale now.

I think they should be done with Will and Elizabeth. Their story is done. Jack can go on after the Black Pearl ad infinitum and never get it. I do think that is the point. There is always something you want really badly, and can never quite get your hands on. Jack is the patron saint of this idea. And, there is always someone who gets what you want. That is Barbossa. And you can't blame Barbossa either, he's just doing his thing.

As for the doomed lovers, that is their tale. Again, this is a tale of not getting what you want. A legend. Not always a happy story. Even though, thank God, it has lots of comedy in it.

I like it and feel that they did at least take it all in a more majestic story arc direction than the usual fare. For that, I applaud them.

May Jack find his Shangri-La.
(And who's to say he hasn't...)

MaulFan said:
First off, I would most certainly go running for Keira on the 10 year day, I know she's not a lot of people's type but I'd hit that in a second.

Yes, those people who wouldn't go for her are commonly known as GAY. And even then a few guys might think of switching teams.:D

The Ringer said:
Anybody know how that dog came back when Teague appeared?

When they ask that question, Teague replied "Sea turtles" an in joke from the first film where the legends tell that Jack escaped from the Rum-runners island by strapping 2 sea turtles together and sailing away from his captivity.

Yeah.. it was ok at best. If they continued.. they need to leave Will Out! Jack and the Black Pearl!!!

I would actually like to see Will in charge of the Flying Dutchman and teaming up with Jack for some sea battles. I can also see Davey Jones now stuck in the locker and trying to get out and get back his ship.

I also want to see Jack and Barbossa chase after treasure tripping each other along the way.

I didn't care for this film much, and I was REALLY looking forward to it; spoiler free as well I might add.

It felt like such a radical departure from the first two (which in reality the second was a large departure from the first). Why all of a sudden does Jack have a head full of lice advisors? The "crab island/locker" scene was so wild, wow! It was ok, but seemed so contrived that the next actor to say Cylpso was going to break out laughing ... yeesh, it didn't seem well thought out at all.

I can say I liked the tragedy of Will and Elizabeth, it was ballsy of a movie to end like that; even if their wedding rivals Spider-man 3 for shear campiness.

This was easily the weakest of the three ... bummer.

Yeah, I hope that if they continue it is sans Will and Elizabeth and gets Jack into more and more crazy-ass adventures.

Lots of cool pirate stories they could dredge up, and even some cool monster myths and legends. I think POTC is a property that could have limitless possibilities as long as those involved keep the films up to a high standard.

galactiboy said:
Yeah, I hope that if they continue it is sans Will and Elizabeth and gets Jack into more and more crazy-ass adventures.

Lots of cool pirate stories they could dredge up, and even some cool monster myths and legends. I think POTC is a property that could have limitless possibilities as long as those involved keep the films up to a high standard.

Indeed there are limitless possibilities, and there are characters like Barbosa you'd love to see in future stories, but I don't know how much I'd enjoy a Pirates movie without Captain Jack Sparrow, who above all else, truly makes these films a great ride to take.

LOTRFan said:
I didn't care for this film much, and I was REALLY looking forward to it; spoiler free as well I might add.

It felt like such a radical departure from the first two (which in reality the second was a large departure from the first). Why all of a sudden does Jack have a head full of lice advisors? The "crab island/locker" scene was so wild, wow! It was ok, but seemed so contrived that the next actor to say Cylpso was going to break out laughing ... yeesh, it didn't seem well thought out at all.

I can say I liked the tragedy of Will and Elizabeth, it was ballsy of a movie to end like that; even if their wedding rivals Spider-man 3 for shear campiness.

This was easily the weakest of the three ... bummer.

Okay, I am not arguing your opinion. It's your right to feel however you like, and it's true from your perspective. However, I do not get the "complete departure" part. Was it darker than the previous films? Yes. But Empire was darker than Star Wars or Jedi and no one claims it was a departure from the Star Wars trilogy. I want my movies to constantly adapt and change, much like life. If I was watching the same movie as Curse of the Black Pearl, just with a new widget to chase, I would have felt cheated and bored. The characters continued to evolve through out 2 and 3 and I think it was a better movie for that.

What was wrong with the Davy Jones' locker part? I think it was a fitting vision of "Hell" for Jack. I believe it was the first one that had Jack tell them that he loved the Pearl, i.e. a ship on the open sea, because it represented freedom. Well, what would be more horrific to this person than having that boat stranded in the middle of the desert? Jack was already a little wonky before dying. Something tells me that being digested by the Kraken and then tortured ( and we have no idea how much time he spent in the Locker ... I compare it to Angel being trapped in Hell in the Buffy show ... he was only there a month or 2 in real time, but it felt like hundreds of years to him) in the Locker would drive anyone crazy. The mini versions and hallucinations were just cool ways to show the audience that Jack was crazier than ever. The only thing that saved Jack from that Hell was Calypso ... it wasn't him that moved the boat to water, it was her. I just don't see how that's contrived :confused:

Last edited:
DouglasMcc said:
Okay, I am not arguing your opinion. It's your right to feel however you like, and it's true from your perspective. However, I do not get the "complete departure" part. Was it darker than the previous films? Yes. But Empire was darker than Star Wars or Jedi and no one claims it was a departure from the Star Wars trilogy. I want my movies to constantly adapt and change, much like life. If I was watching the same movie as Curse of the Black Pearl, just with a new widget to chase, I would have felt cheated and bored. The characters continued to evolve through out 2 and 3 and I think it was a better movie for that.

What was wrong with the Davy John's locker part? I think it was a fitting vision of "Hell" for Jack. I believe it was the first one that had Jack tell them that he loved the Pearl, i.e. a ship on the open sea, because it represented freedom. Well, what would be more horrific to this person than having that boat stranded in the middle of the desert? Jack was already a little wonky before dying. Something tells me that being digested by the Kraken and then tortured ( and we have no idea how much time he spent in the Locker ... I compare it to Angel being trapped in Hell in the Buffy show ... he was only there a month or 2 in real time, but it felt like hundreds of years to him) in the Locker would drive anyone crazy. The mini versions and hallucinations were just cool ways to show the audience that Jack was crazier than ever. The only thing that saved Jack from that Hell was Calypso ... it wasn't him that moved the boat to water, it was her. I just don't see how that's contrived :confused:

I agree, I actually laughed my head off at the little versions. Loved it when he asked everybody if anyone missed him, that still cracks me up.

Ok so supposedly after 10 years Will and Elizabeth are reunited for good is that what really suppose to happen. I thought he would be just able to stay for a day and then head back out. If not that really opens up some stories.
I would love to see a few more movies but alot of the stuff has already been wrapped up. Remember the first time Jack was thrown off the Pearl it was 3 years into his 13 year deal with Davy Jones and then it took him 10 to get the Pearl back. Well if it takes him 10 more years to get the Pearl back. Then that would also coincide nicely with Will coming back and we could have ourselves another great movie with all the characters.

What I think they should do is forget Will and Elizabeth for the next one, since they sort of have a 10 year break. That way they could focus on Jack and Barbossa and get another story more similar to the atmosphere of the first movie. Then they could rejoin with Will and Elizabeth once Will is released from his curse.

Back