POTC: AWE Discussion - WITH SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agent0028 said:
Had Barbossa tried to leave Jack in the locker and only take his piece of eight I suspect Elizabeth, Will (possibly not since he really just wanted the Pearl) and Gibbs etc would have fought against him. Plus I don't think Barbossa knew what the piece of eight was. When everyone is handing over their piece of eight Jack reaches up and touches his but didn't put it in the bowl and brought up Sao Feng's absence as a distraction. But they cut to Barbossa right after Jack touches the medallion and the look on his face was something like, "So that's what it is." At least that's how it looked to me.

Needing to be a captain to be a pirate lord makes sense.

Didn't notice that in that scene. Definitely something for me to look for when I see it again. And definitely sounds very reasonable.

I agree it is unlikely Barbossa ever revealed the true significance to Rigetti, even if he had I think Rigetti was so terrified of Barbossa it wouldn't have mattered. I guess the reason I got to thinking about this so much is wondering what feasibly would happen if a Pirate Lord died without passing the piece on and what significance that would have on the council. Of course I guess that's a question really without an answer.

The Mike said:
Exactly MaulFan. My wife pointed out the contradiction with the line of thought that the Piece of Eight has to be officially passed. In AWE, Barbossa clips Jack's Piece of Eight from him during the stand-off. It isn't obviously given just taken. Why they didn't just remove it from Jack in the Locker is still unanswered.

I saw that part as Barbossa needing it to release Calypso from the mortal body not because he wanted it for other purpose. Jack wasn't following them back so he needed the part for Calypso to be released to work. Never thought of it any other way before.

Oh I agree, Barbossa took it to release Calypso but that proves it doesn't have to be given or else he wouldn't have been able to use it.

Well, I think you could take a piece of eight to release Calypso. But you just couldn't take it to become a pirate lord. So in which case with Barbossa, he didn't appoint anyone else and there's no reason to get rid of the piece of eight so they would most likely have a meeting of the brethren to appoint a new pirate lord.

Back