Possible Commissions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hunky_artist said:
I've just this evening set up a new photo blog to journal all my resculpts, repaints, commissions and oil paintings..... I've just put a bunch of stuff up there (probably all the same as what's in my gallery thread on here)

But I'll be updating this photo blog every few days, or whenever there's anything new to show, even if it's a half-way through piece (like the latest Star Trek 7" resculpt I've posted there)

The blog link is the first link in my signature below

right... bedtime for me now, lol. 'night all :)
that's motivated me to finally finish my blog,but i wanted it linked to my website somehow, and it's really hard to integrate it for some reason...
(wordpress.org) is the blog program I use, but blogger is a good option too...

Interesting proposition. They'll become quite expensive with the number of characters being proposed and shipping from the UK to top it off.
I wish I could through my money into the pot, It would be just too expensive for me.
If some of these unpainted heads will be available afterwards I would definitely consider buying a few (hoping that nothing expensive is shipping from Sideshow at the time).

I've been thinking about trying my hand at sculpting a Faith but if someone else is doing it I'll just skip the hassle. Both her and Willow are really the only characters I'd most like new versions of.

screamingmetal said:
Interesting proposition. They'll become quite expensive with the number of characters being proposed and shipping from the UK to top it off.
I wish I could through my money into the pot, It would be just too expensive for me.
If some of these unpainted heads will be available afterwards I would definitely consider buying a few (hoping that nothing expensive is shipping from Sideshow at the time).

I've been thinking about trying my hand at sculpting a Faith but if someone else is doing it I'll just skip the hassle. Both her and Willow are really the only characters I'd most like new versions of.

Its a pity you cant just use Andy B's original Willow sculpt he has, and make molds of it. Theres porbably some tie in with SS on the sculpt though.
Hey Andy B is a thought for a sculptor! Doesnt get much better than him:D

BDboystoys said:
Its a pity you cant just use Andy B's original Willow sculpt he has, and make molds of it. Theres porbably some tie in with SS on the sculpt though.
The original could be fixed, it would require resculpting the lower right side of her face and just moving up a portion of the upper right side then blending it all in. I doubt Sideshow would get angry about that, since some work is being done to correct the casting and they wouldn't really be missing out on future Willow sales because they don't seem to want to make another one of her. :monkey2

I'd love Andy to do some Buffy and Angel heads but I think his exclusive contract with DCD prevents him from doing any work outside the company regardless on how small.

Funny, the last time SSC ended the Buffy line I went out and commissioned a Spike and Vampire Spike. It cost a fortune and the casts I sold didn't come near paying for them. Just as I had it finished SSC announced they were starting up the line again.

vspike25.jpg

BDboystoys said:

Already asked. He's too busy. He liked the idea though...

OK - New line of thinking. We simply get unpainted heads done. That way shipping is kept way down, you can get whoever you want to paint it and you can take as long as you want to put the actual figure together.

I think that an unpainted head cast should run at about $30.00. If we get two or three of these a year that's still a decent amount of figures.

I'd go for that. I'm a painter anyway, so coming unpainted would be great, although I understand not everyones going to see it that way.

So which side of the Atlantic are these heads to be sculpted exactly. I'm a bit slow on the uptake and getting a wee bit lost in it all.

Darklord Dave said:
Funny, the last time SSC ended the Buffy line I went out and commissioned a Spike and Vampire Spike. It cost a fortune and the casts I sold didn't come near paying for them. Just as I had it finished SSC announced they were starting up the line again.

vspike25.jpg

That's not too bad. Dare I ask roughly how much they cost you, and what the other head looked like?

Last edited:
I'm down with the scratchbuilding a figure rather than commissioning a whole complete kit, which I honestly can't see anyone making for less than $125 and at a run of at least 25 what with the start up costs for patterns, material, etc. And I think I'm being pretty liberal with my guesstimate. So, I vote for a more open market approach.

I'm going to make my own heads anyway since I'm a fan and a hobbyist and I've been doing it all along so it doesn't make much difference to me if I only make one or two of a model and recupe none of my labor/capital from making them. A professional, of course, will need a contract and payment up front. I could go for the latter, certainly, but not if I'm one of a dozen and it'll cost $50 or more just for the head to be sculpted. With interest all over the place as to which head should be sculpted first, it will be interesting to see how this will work out.

I honestly think the harder part of scratchbuilding a figure will be episode specific costuming. I would most definitely be willing to pay someone for costuming, as it's something I am terrible at.

Anyhoo, I had already started a Tara before the announcement since I figured she would be last on Sideshow's list of figures to make. Little did I know... But it's still possible SS will start up the lines again, in which case, I would be surprised if the first figure were anyone but Wesley or Anya. But if a good/affordable Wes headsculpt is made by one of us here, I will definitely buy it. Heck, the same for any Buffy/Angel head. There are plenty of competent sculptors, pro and just hobbyists, I'm sure that now that we know there is interest, some will get made. My philosophy is, build it yourself and if Sideshow makes the same figure, keep the one you like better.

I will post pics at the end of the week of my version of Willow (human vamp) and what I have of Tara.

Good luck everyone.

binky

Back in the days before digital cameras - so the pic isn't great, but the sculpt is excellent. For both it was about $600. I got a discount on Vamp Spike since it wasn't a full sculpt. The sculptor later did a more open mouthed Spike similar to the expression on the SSC version.

spiked.jpg

Darklord Dave said:
Back in the days before digital cameras - so the pic isn't great, but the sculpt is excellent. For both it was about $600. I got a discount on Vamp Spike since it wasn't a full sculpt. The sculptor later did a more open mouthed Spike similar to the expression on the SSC version.

spiked.jpg
They don't look all that bad, of coarse Sideshow's look better but what else would you expect?
Individual heads for $30 sounds good to me.
It's strange, immediately after posting I found my long lost clay, been searching for it over a couple of months. Made up some gray clay just now, I think I'll just start sculpting a Faith, won't promise anything but the gray color feels much easier to work in then the transparent Super Sculpey.

Sounds like you guys just need someone to get the ball rolling.

I haven't had to take a deposit on any of my customs (except for the Kareem GOD figure because it requires a crapload of materials)- and I haven't been stiffed yet (knock on wood). And I certainly don't expect to get stiffed by anyone on this board.

So to get the ball rolling on this - I'm willing to make a sculpt of one of the characters as a sample. If you guys don't want it after seeing it - no worries: I can always make casts and sell them. So no time wasted.

All you guys need to do is decide as a group which head you want first and send me links to reference pics of that character. If you can tell me which character and provide the images by this Friday - I can get you a HS sample of that character by Sunday March 18th.

I'm taking a week PTO next week to catch up on my commission work - so the timings right.

I've already passed along my pricing to Mark - so if you guys like the HS when you see it - we can go from there.

I sculpt, mold, cast, and paint.

LMK if you want to do it.

Tin

I think this is a great idea. In retrospect I wish I had tried this route when I got the Planet of the Apes Urko head made. I'm in for the unpainted head way of doing it. I think that will probably work best for almost everyone. I do like the idea though of seeing the finished product before having to pay. While I don't expect it to happen here, i'd hate to pay $30 [or any amount actually] for a sculpt that just doesn't hit the mark. I'd like to definitely see Wes, Gunn, Doyle, Adam and a Faith. Caleb would also be in my want list so that we can get extra for those Firefly bashes!!
If I can help in any way PLMK. Just feel free to email me!!

Ironman1188 said:
Caleb would also be in my want list so that we can get extra for those Firefly bashes!!
QUOTE]

Darn Tootin!

BTW - whatever happened to that kickass Zoe/Glory headsculpt that was doing the rounds a while ago.

Can anyone remember who was doing that one?

tinister said:
Sounds like you guys just need someone to get the ball rolling.

So to get the ball rolling on this - I'm willing to make a sculpt of one of the characters as a sample. If you guys don't want it after seeing it - no worries: I can always make casts and sell them. So no time wasted.

I've already passed along my pricing to Mark - so if you guys like the HS when you see it - we can go from there.

I sculpt, mold, cast, and paint.

This is a generous offer made by Tin and also from Hunky Artist earlier on in the thread and so I will say a very public THANK YOU!!!!!!

Also, I can personally vouch that Tinister's casts are gorgeous and arrive very quickly and very well wrapped.

I'd like to second that thank you. That is a wonderful idea, and If you are happy to do that then I'm sure it will help people buying to decide a lot easier.

Sounds good, guys. And NP. I like the experimental feel of this approach.

I'll look forward to the ref pics.

Tin

Back