POPCULTCHA and Other Figure Deals, discounts and what ever else saves money.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In closing, PC have great prices, but if something goes wrong and you live outside of Australia, you are screwed.

That goes for buying outside your country anywhere. Although Australia is much closer than the US I still face the same sort or risks buying from Popcultcha that I do Sideshow. (haven't tried any UK sellers yet)... The big advantage for me is the shipping is cheaper, and the packaging of Hot Toys items is better. I also tend to know better what I am spending, especially with pre-orders, due to the varying dollar. The AU to NZ rate seems easier to predict the swing than the US to NZ. (man I've been bit bad by pre-ordering from Sideshow months in advance)

For assistance if something goes wrong, I'm best buying in NZ. Haven't tried Mohock yet, Retrospace are expensive (but I did get DX-13 from them only months ago), and Mighty Ape are also expensive. But, in years of buying gaming and movie stuff from Mighty Ape I have full confidence in them if things go wrong. They sorted faulty instruments for GH and Rock Band for me, and replaced movies for me which I believe were stolen from my front door. And actually, truth be told if an item is expensive enough to attract customs charges, I'm probably better off buying from NZ despite the higher costs. QS005 cost me almost $200NZ at Customs.

For assistance if something goes wrong, I'm best buying in NZ. Haven't tried Mohock yet, Retrospace are expensive (but I did get DX-13 from them only months ago), and Mighty Ape are also expensive. But, in years of buying gaming and movie stuff from Mighty Ape I have full confidence in them if things go wrong. They sorted faulty instruments for GH and Rock Band for me, and replaced movies for me which I believe were stolen from my front door. And actually, truth be told if an item is expensive enough to attract customs charges, I'm probably better off buying from NZ despite the higher costs. QS005 cost me almost $200NZ at Customs.

thats interesting info - im a kiwi too and just getting into the toy/statue hobby and trying to establish the best way of buying products. I looked at the popcultcha website and it seemed very expensive. I agree with mighty ape and retrospace being expensive too. I have seen 1 or 2 reasonable deals but generally every thing else is way overpriced.
Mohock i bought a tony stark hot toy from for $350 which was good, like other NZ suppliers though their inventory is small.

Have you bought from premium collectibles in Australia ? their prices seem the best by far. I am looking to preorder antman and if that goes well I may use them a lot.

Have you bought from premium collectibles in Australia ? their prices seem the best by far. I am looking to preorder antman and if that goes well I may use them a lot.

No. I believe they are the ones who recently had a huge discount on a limited number of pre-orders of Civil War Hawkeye? I've never used them. I think they charge straight away which I find a little off-putting. One thing I like about Mighty Ape is they charge at shipping for everything, and it's free shipping if you pay the annual Prime Ape membership..

No. I believe they are the ones who recently had a huge discount on a limited number of pre-orders of Civil War Hawkeye? I've never used them. I think they charge straight away which I find a little off-putting. One thing I like about Mighty Ape is they charge at shipping for everything, and it's free shipping if you pay the annual Prime Ape membership..
I don't use them either. Full payment upfront really turns me off and I've heard people have had issues with shipping and things not being delivered. Plus they barely even get anything, really only just a few of the releases, so not much good for most figures.

yeah the prepayment thing is off putting but if it is for a hot toy due in a few months then paying for it now rather than in june/july is not too bad especially if it saves you $120. Popcultcha's antman is NZ$420, Premium collectibles is $300.

That's quite compelling and their facebook is very active with good engagement with customers so might be worth cherry picking the popular HT's which they do seem to list.

I will give it a go and see how it pans out

Whilst the prices on PopCultcha are very good, you need to be wary of custom charges. When my figure arrived in the UK I had to pay around £60 (90USD) in charges.

Problem is, my figure has some damage (ASM2, stitching at the front of the mask has come undone). PopCultcha are unable to replace, as its a sold out figure, and I cannot find a replacement ASM2 head anywhere.

So my options are, 1. Stick with a damaged figure. 2. Send it back for a refund. The problem with option 2 is that I will have to pay to ship it back to them, and I will only receive a refund for the figure, not the postage to me in the first instance. So 2 lots of postage plus the custom charges will total about £100 (150USD). So I will have spent £100 for the 'privelege' of having a damaged figure for a few weeks.

It's all very annoying as at the point of sale I asked them to open up the figure they would send to me to check it had no damage. They couldn't do it because it was against policy. Would have saved me a lot of hassle though!

PopCultcha have offered me £25 as a voucher to spend in their store, but that doesn't really help me a lot.

In closing, PC have great prices, but if something goes wrong and you live outside of Australia, you are screwed.

This is not entirely true with being screwed if something goes wrong. I ordered a HT Sandtrooper from them, it had a few issues and within a month I had replacement parts for the figure (which they got from hot toys). I was worried they wouldn't do anything about it but am extremely satisfied with the replacement parts and will continue to buy from them in the future because of the excellent service (and the fact that they have always honored "glitches" with pricings).

sending the figure back could be an issue, but you might want to contact your CC company or paypal about recovering those return shipping fees if the product was defective...

I've ordered from them quite a few times and I've never got charged custom fees ? I'm in the United States.

yeah no customs fees in US, although I wouldn't be shocked if that policy changes soon depending on which clown we elect

I believe Popcultcha are having a 20% sale on instock Star Wars items now (most of TFA stormtroopers are back in stock).

As it's the 4th of May (here in Australia at least).

Yes, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any "bonus" glitches so prices are close to Sideshows.

They're showing SSC's Figrin D'an in stock at $80.75 shipped. The Tauntan is $277.25, but costs $95.31 to ship to the US.

I almost bit on the TFA Snowtroopers set, which would end up about $25 cheaper than using the May 4th promo code from SSC.

-Kevin

If it's only a $25 difference it's probably best to go with Sideshow (if you're based in the USA) as there are always small discrepancies for currency translations with Popcultcha.

True. Also, in case of a defective figure, it's much easier to handle an exchange with SSC who is the same state as me rather than send it back to Australia.

-Kevin

Pop Cultcha has reduced the price of both Chitauri figures to $67 US. Only problem is the shipping is $30 for 1 and $43 for 2 still making them just under $100 each.

Yeah, just under $100 each individually NZ$.. strangely though the twin pack is $340 (still very much reduced though)... If my Avengers display was from the first movie, I'd probably jump on it. But I don't think they'd really go with 5, soon to be 6 AoU figures.

I ordered one. Too good of a price to pass up. Not sure where I will display it but for the price, he could just be dead at Thanos' feet.

20% off sale for Queens Birthday.. Only applies to in-stock items, and as usual their reward point scheme is disabled. I just got Scarlet Witch AoU for under 300NZ.

Would have been a great time to pick up the quarter scale Mk 43.. :lecture

20% off for any pre-owned games at gamestop store locations given to power up reward members or former members.

Back