Premium Format Poison Ivy Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the point, tho ...a heat gun is not the best tool for this. A hair dryer allows you a more gradual heat up of the statue which is what you want. You want to heat the statue just enough to make the fix ...to limit the risks and not over heat the statue. The heat gun is overkill. It's like using a sledgehammer for a 2 inch nail.

Even I have a heat gun for when I fix things around the house ...or when I modify my stereo system in my cars ...etc ...but I don't use my heat gun for this fix. Not necessary.

Hairdryer heats a larger area and can cause issues too. I can heat just the size of a pea with my gun and quickly too, you just have to judge the heat and time or buy an adjustable one(or just hold it at more distance).

Hairdryer heats a larger area and can cause issues too. I can heat just the size of a pea with my gun and quickly too, you just have to judge the heat and time or buy an adjustable one(or just hold it at more distance).

For the fix we are talking about we do want to heat up a large area ...from the hip all the way down to her foot. So hair dryer.

We want to gradually heat the leg up with minimal heat as possible to prevent issues. So hair dryer.

We want to save money for other statues instead of buying an expensive heat gun and it's pricey accessories. So hair dryer.

...But for you, feel free to use whatever you want. Sledgehammer to a nail? ...Sure.

For the fix we are talking about we do want to heat up a large area ...from the hip all the way down to her foot. So hair dryer.

We want to gradually heat the leg up with minimal heat as possible to prevent issues. So hair dryer.

We want to save money for other statues instead of buying an expensive heat gun and it's pricey accessories. So hair dryer.

...But for you, feel free to use whatever you want. Sledgehammer to a nail? ...Sure.

I wasn't specifically talking about just this issue, but in general. I'd also disagree about it for that fix also though, you don't have to have gradual heat, just not too much to melt the paint otherwise it will take forever to heat that deep into the resin(which hairdryers are not made for, running long use periods could damage it). Point is hairdryers may be good for hair and cost nothing extra for some, but they aren't the best tool for the job.

If you are worried about $50 for a useful tool you probably shouldn't be buying a bunch of $500 statues. You may prefer your dryer, but I've used my gun probably close to 100 times and never said, "boy, wish i'd have used my hairdryer", it's usually "so glad I have the right tool for the job".

I wasn't specifically talking about just this issue, but in general. I'd also disagree about it for that fix also though, you don't have to have gradual heat, just not too much to melt the paint otherwise it will take forever to heat that deep into the resin(which hairdryers are not made for, running long use periods could damage it). Point is hairdryers may be good for hair and cost nothing extra for some, but they aren't the best tool for the job.

Yes, you do have to gradually heat it up ...so not to burn the paint and melt the polystone.
No, you don't have to heat it that deep into the resin ...just enough to make the leg a tad pliable to move the leg into place.
No, it doesn't take forever to heat it up with a hair dryer ...it only takes seconds of heating up.
Yes, you are heating it up too much if you are using a hair dryer for minutes ...so using a heat gun is already too much.
Remember, the statue is hollow.

If you are worried about $50 for a useful tool you probably shouldn't be buying a bunch of $500 statues. You may prefer your dryer, but I've used my gun probably close to 100 times and never said, "boy, wish i'd have used my hairdryer", it's usually "so glad I have the right tool for the job".

I have a heat gun too, but a hair dryer is more than enough for this fix to a polystone statue ...and safer too. And I'd rather use that $50 as NRD for another $500 statue.

Sounds like I hurt your feelings, tho. What's the matter ...did I hurt your ego because I'm recommending a lowly hair dryer instead of your all powerful heat gun and its pricey accessories? Do you feel more of a man with the more powerful tool in your hand?

It's ok ...it'll pass. It takes skill and knowledge to use the right tool for a specific job. You'll get there. Meantime ...feel free to use your all powerful heat gun. Go nuts.

If you want to use a hairdryer, by all means go for it, but I just disagree it's the best option. I don't think this statue is hollow, but the Ivys I had were never damaged to tell for sure. Similar issue with a WW PF took ~5 min to get pliable enough to move the leg even with the heat gun, being careful of course, it was pretty far out of align but that is an extreme example. Yes, heat gun can be dangerous and you shouldn't be using it if you are a noob, but for those who do actually have the "skill and knowledge" plus a few extra bucks around it is well worth having. I am lucky enough to have all 3 so don't worry about me.

Oh, and I never said you were a sissy for using a hairdryer, just saying I believe the gun is a more effective tool given the countless options and advantages they offer so other collectors can decide for themselves, that's it, you are the one getting all defensive about it for some reason...

Yes, you do have to gradually heat it up ...so not to burn the paint and melt the polystone.
No, you don't have to heat it that deep into the resin ...just enough to make the leg a tad pliable to move the leg into place.
No, it doesn't take forever to heat it up with a hair dryer ...it only takes seconds of heating up.
Yes, you are heating it up too much if you are using a hair dryer for minutes ...so using a heat gun is already too much.
Remember, the statue is hollow.

I have a heat gun too, but a hair dryer is more than enough for this fix to a polystone statue ...and safer too. And I'd rather use that $50 as NRD for another $500 statue.

Sounds like I hurt your feelings, tho. What's the matter ...did I hurt your ego because I'm recommending a lowly hair dryer instead of your all powerful heat gun and its pricey accessories? Do you feel more of a man with the more powerful tool in your hand?

It's ok ...it'll pass. It takes skill and knowledge to use the right tool for a specific job. You'll get there. Meantime ...feel free to use your all powerful heat gun. Go nuts.

It's okay, stingray just always has to be right, you'll see that

Attachments

• 89a974435b8d4c029dfb79f8cca67f80.jpg
    89a974435b8d4c029dfb79f8cca67f80.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 68
If you want to use a hairdryer, by all means go for it, but I just disagree it's the best option. I don't think this statue is hollow, but the Ivys I had were never damaged to tell for sure. Similar issue with a WW PF took ~5 min to get pliable enough to move the leg even with the heat gun, being careful of course, it was pretty far out of align but that is an extreme example. Yes, heat gun can be dangerous and you shouldn't be using it if you are a noob, but for those who do actually have the "skill and knowledge" plus a few extra bucks around it is well worth having. I am lucky enough to have all 3 so don't worry about me.

Oh, and I never said you were a sissy for using a hairdryer, just saying I believe the gun is a more effective tool given the countless options and advantages they offer so other collectors can decide for themselves, that's it, you are the one getting all defensive about it for some reason...

Ha! Clealy, you’re compensating for deficiencies. Yes. Go ahead and use your all powerful heat gun.

Your statue is not hollow? Ok, you keep believing that too. Go nuts.

Ha! Clealy, you’re compensating for deficiencies. Yes. Go ahead and use your all powerful heat gun.

Your statue is not hollow? Ok, you keep believing that too. Go nuts.

The only "deficiency" here is your mental capacity and inability to have a discussion without resorting to weak and tired insults. I must have dug up some latent heat gun fears you've repressed from your really difficult "car stereo" work. Hey man, it's cool, if you are scared of an "all powerful" little heat gun then by all means keep it locked up so it can't scare you :lol. I'll keep using my superior "skill and knowledge" to try and control that untamable beast and you can continue to enjoy play time with your grooming appliance.

Polystone is a mixture of a resin or binder and a stone/sand powder (you can make a patch by mixing glue and baby powder in basic terms) a hair dryer only gets up to around 140 degrees F so it doesn’t burn you it’s not designed to melt things, a heat gun gets 10 times hotter than that it’s specifically designed to melt objects, I wouldn’t recommend using a heat gun on your statue otherwise you will 1. Possibly melt the paint, 2. Heat it up too quickly and cause fracture from extreme temperature change. I would also not recommend listing to people on forums who have no clue what they are doing, I repair statues as a hobby, I’m no professional but have a lot of knowledge.

The only "deficiency" here is your mental capacity and inability to have a discussion without resorting to weak and tired insults. I must have dug up some latent heat gun fears you've repressed from your really difficult "car stereo" work. Hey man, it's cool, if you are scared of an "all powerful" little heat gun then by all means keep it locked up so it can't scare you :lol. I'll keep using my superior "skill and knowledge" to try and control that untamable beast and you can continue to enjoy play time with your grooming appliance.

HaHa ...you're deficiencies are that bad, huh? :lol

No worries ...your originality is worse! Ha!

Seriously tho ...I already said keep using your heat gun. Turn it up to maximum next time. Makes you more of a man ...statue be damned!

Polystone is a mixture of a resin or binder and a stone/sand powder (you can make a patch by mixing glue and baby powder in basic terms) a hair dryer only gets up to around 140 degrees F so it doesn’t burn you it’s not designed to melt things, a heat gun gets 10 times hotter than that it’s specifically designed to melt objects, I wouldn’t recommend using a heat gun on your statue otherwise you will 1. Possibly melt the paint, 2. Heat it up too quickly and cause fracture from extreme temperature change. I would also not recommend listing to people on forums who have no clue what they are doing, I repair statues as a hobby, I’m no professional but have a lot of knowledge.

Hey stingray ...message for you

Apparently not lot of knowledge about heat guns. Most are not 10x hotter, that is at the very high end and many have settings that go even LOWER than hairdryers.

Guys like 808 act like know it all's and it's hilarious. He would rather question my manhood than his own ignorance, which sorely needs addressed. I find it's always the scared worthless nobody's that spout that crap, especially anonymously over the net. Pathetic

Back