Chat with Brant (7/15/2005) - Log Posted

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To accurately portray the mirror from the movie, it would have been almost as tall as Saruman's pedestal, but more than twice as wide, possibly as much as three times as wide. The thing would have been HUGE, and it would have obscured much of the detail in Galadriel.

You are correct about the size comparison. But my intent was in providing an example of how "I" believe the Galadriel piece would have benefitted from the fountain. I, for one, would have preferred her with the fountain, particularly because of her pose and the pitcher.

Saruman, along with his pedestal, debuted at $150.00 at the time. Perhaps SS/W could have offered the fountain as separate piece, perhaps in small numbers, and given us a choice to purchase or not. I don't believe a fountain would have been a difficult or at least as difficult to produce than a figure statue. Galadriel at $125 and option fountain at $100+? Would have sounded good to me.

In theory, they could STILL do that. Offer the mirror as a companion piece to the statue.
It has already been sculpted, so that is not the issue. There are certainly no breakage issues that will make the manufacturing difficult.
And what's more, they could make it to order. In batches perhaps. They do so with stone walls, doll-stands and the like.

Or do a 250 with an option for another 250 run. As long as they say so from the start! Now THAT would be working with their fans and collectors...

Hell, if they offer a freeby like the Cave Troll Hammer, they should certainly be able to offer the Mirror as a to-pay-for piece to the fans that want one.

Who would want one? ME-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me!
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Great idea Peter, it might be all I need to pick up the Gala statue, never liked it without the mirror as it looks unfinished IMO.

I disagree with your commented RoboDad. I think we do represent the average Sideshow customer, even if we call ourselves Freaks :p and the comparison with Saruman is TOTALY valid. Saruman incanting without the Palintir is the same IMO as Gala pouring without the mirror.

Size and cost are separate issues. If Gala was not going to be presented with the mirror, the pose should have been changed. This is a sloppy, half baked decision to cancel the mirror but leave the pose the same. >:

Well then, I disagree with your disagreement:p . Anyone who thinks the members of this forum in any way represent the average Sideshow customer really needs to get out more.

And just because you think the compraison is completely valid doesn't make it so. It may be valid on some points, but on others (size AND cost) it completely falls apart.

As stated, size AND cost are separate issues :p

And I stand by my comment that we represent the average Sideshow customer, as anyone who is willing to spend ANY money on these collectibles, let alone Sideshow's standard 'bendy doll' type fair, is a FREAK in my books.

Finally, from my perspective, if I think the comparison is valid, then it DOES make it so... for me! ;)

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :hat

Yes, size and cost are separate issues. So? Who said otherwise? Brant raised BOTH issues in the chat (the fact that the mirror would be HUGE, and the fact that it would more than double the cost.

Oh, and I don't smoke, thanks, but feel free... ;)

Besides, when did I ever say I didn't want one? Look at my comments in the chat. I clearly said I wanted one and would have ordered it, even at double+ the cost. All I'm saying here is that, from a business perspective, I can understand Sideshow's decision, and I am still happy with the statue we got, even though I know it could have been better.

the fact that the mirror would be HUGE, and the fact that it would more than double the cost.
From a business perspective, that statement is utter b0llocks. :p

Not to bring down your argument RD3k, but Brant's...
To me, this is yet another proof of fallacious statements brought on by SSC to justify their crap decisions.

The cost of polystone manufacturing is not such that it qualifies the quoted statements as valid. :dance

Anyone who thinks the members of this forum in any way represent the average Sideshow customer really needs to get out more

Well, then I guess I need to get out more cause I do think this board represents what most SS customers are like. We are probably more on the extreme end.

To me, this is yet another proof of fallacious statements brought on by SSC to justify their crap decisions.

Oh give me a break. They decided not to go with the mirror cause of cost so how do you know thats not the truth. This is a dead freaking issue give it a rest.

It's a shame that a Galadriel with mirror coudln't have been sold as an exclusive with a smaller ES. I don't quite understand the explaination that it would "cost too much" with the mirror when SS just put up a $1000 Predator, $6000 1:1 scale Terminator, etc. $250 for a Galadriel w/mirror would have been aimed at average collectors much more than those? It would be less money than any of the horse/rider sets so personally I don't see the problem. I hope we at least get to see some of those early production pictures of what the mirror would have looked like.

P.S. I do agree that it's a valid comparison with Saruman if he didn't have a palantir.

What does Saruman have his hand over? An invisible palantir.
What is Galadriel pouring into? An invisible mirror.

Without the mirror, I think they should have gone with a different pose or the dark Galadriel as planned at the beginning of the line.

An exclusive edition is a great idea, esp considering the sales of these are what SS was worried about. I may be wrong but Galadriel didn't start out with the biggest bang, an exclusive however would certainly have stimulated sales. All that said, it is all to be put in the "what could have been category" at this point.

:mwaha Yup, just add it to the list. :lol

My only problem with the missing mirror is that the statue was originally sculpted with the mirror being part of the piece. Once the mirror was taken out of the picture, the original Galadriel sculpt that went along with the mirror should have been scrapped and a new pose should have been produced. With leaving the Galadriel sculpt as it was, we are getting a part of the complete piece.

I'm still getting her though. :rollin

I totally agree leebgb, it is a hard pill to discover that the statue did originally incorporate a mirror. A subtable pose for me would have been her bidding farewell to the Fellowship, that would have been great.

Oh well, I think that the facial sculpt on this one is great, it seems to have been improved (or previous shots, have stunk). In addition her dress looks very detailed and nicely done, so yeah I am still getting her too. :p

Well, then I guess I need to get out more cause I do think this board represents what most SS customers are like. We are probably more on the extreme end.
But you're contradicting yourself here, Josh. Either we are like most SS customers, or we are the extreme. Both can't be true. I believe we are the extreme. I would bet that the amount of money invested by the average forum member here at least doubles what the average SS collector has spent.

are there pics of this said mirror...?

i'm really starting to dislike SS's tactics anymore...

i placed and order for the Dr. Doom exclusive Friday night and the ES was 300...

checked it again on Saturday night, and it was sold out, but the ES was now 500...?

:rolleyes

!

But you're contradicting yourself here, Josh. Either we are like most SS customers, or we are the extreme. Both can't be true. I believe we are the extreme. I would bet that the amount of money invested by the average forum member here at least doubles what the average SS collector has spent.

Hit it right on the spot Robo..... ;)

The separate mirror is a great idea. (Shipped with a new baseplate of course). But this is just dreaming. But then, that's what we do here. :p

I hate to see that the DM Barad-Dur was indeed an obstacle to Sideshow*Weta's production. Of course, we might have missed something else great if they had done it, but ... Anyway, I don't really want to knock the DM effort. I know many here like it, and it is definitely a well executed effort. But I really enjoy consistency in a product line, and the look here is too different for me to be interested. (Don't care for the cliche' "BaradDur" font/logo, or the glass eye :\ ) I love that the Weta team was actually involved with the pieces released and hate to see anyone else doing it. Of course, having such essential players handling the development phase seems ultimately to be what ended the line early - important people often have other things to do as well. :p I still hope they come back one day. They all know some loose ends remain, and it's clear that their personal investments of effort and care went well beyond a "job", so that they feel the absence of "what could have been" in the same way collectors do. Good luck to them in other ventures, and I hope we meet here again another day. :clap

I hate to see that the DM Barad-Dur was indeed an obstacle to Sideshow*Weta's production.

I know that's what Brant mentioned, but for some odd reason, I don't buy it.

I think it was more convenient to comment that DM prevented them from making Barad-Dur - for some magical license reason :rolleyes - rather then fess up, that after the production/shipping problems experienced with Orthanc, and then the scale complaints they'd receive from customers if Barad-Dur and Orthanc weren't in the same scale - meaning Barad-Dur would need to be prob 4 foot tall 8o , and as a result, totally infeasible. :thud

I think Barad-Dur was put in the too hard basket, and then, ran out of time.

Don't worry collectors, we listen... you wanted a Barad-Dur... how 'bout this cute little ferry in stead. :rollin

Actually, after being at con no I don't believe I am. You really wouldn't understand unless you have been to this event.

I now have a love/hate relationship with Weta . :cry

Just love for Sideshow though ! :hearts

Back