Premium Format Poison Ivy Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sideshow-rogue-problems-5.jpg

being held up at the shipyard isn't a rare thing

I don't know this for certain, but the sequester has drastically scaled back a lot of government services. I'd be willing to bet customs is just as affected as any other, and their work load is probably steadily backing up.

I don't know this for certain, but the sequester has drastically scaled back a lot of government services. I'd be willing to bet customs is just as affected as any other, and their work load is probably steadily backing up.

That's a myth. Most government agencies haven't even started furloughing people, just a hiring freeze.

That's a myth. Most government agencies haven't even started furloughing people, just a hiring freeze.

You may be right. I haven't been paying real close attention to this- and am only going by information from sites like this which seem to think (this was in advance of it beginning) that the sequester will cause delays for cargo at ports.

According to the Newark Star Ledger, US Customs has warned of five-day delays for container inspections at the Port of New York and New Jersey, the busiest port on the East Coast. Port representatives predict the delay will cause a greater “backlog of containers that the crowded port doesn’t have room for.”

On the West Coast, there are similar concerns. As reported in The Washington Post,

Art Wong, a spokesman for the Port of Long Beach, which handles 40 percent of the nation’s imports, said uncertainty about how the cuts will affect operations make it difficult to plan. ”We’re not sure where this is going to go,” he said. ”There are a lot of people whose jobs depend on this [port].”

The Department of Homeland Security, which includes US Customs, expects delays to become widespread “as the department begins furloughing employees.” Furlough letters may be sent to employees as early as tomorrow.

but i see what you're saying. If they haven't been furloughed yet, then this shouldn't be a factor in any further delays.

Back