Plinkett's Episode 3 review!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So good. Every dialogue scene is on a couch, lol. Is Padme's job to sit on a couch.

I love how he points out Lucas' has become the very thing he resented as a young film maker.

'walking and talking. . . . walking and talking. . . sitting on a couch"

ahahaha, it's so funny because I dislike the movies, but never know why, but he's knowledgeable enough about movie-making that he can explain why the movie is just so unenjoyable.

And it's true, I totally forgot about that stupid droid factory part with all the slapstick comedy.

I've never been interested in this guy's "review", but seeing as Ep. III is one of my faves, I decided to give it a shot.
I'm 20 minutes into the first part and I find his voice amazingly obnoxious... and the man makes absolutely no sense.
He keeps pretending he's delivering profound cinematic criticism in a really witty way, but he's just sprouting nonsense.

Really don't see why people enjoy this so much. :dunno

Ummm, watch the whole thing.

The points he makes are staggeringly simple and painfully obvious:

1. The script for all 3 movies was lazy, ill-thought out, and completely devoid of logic or common sense. They merely serve as poor vehicles for the special effects and digital manipulation that so fascinates Lucas. This is not really opinion but fact. Lucas hadn't even finished the script for the third movie while sets were being built and it painfully shows.

2. Extraordinarily poor and lazy directing. What part of Lucas being a completely different movie-maker now versus 1977 is it so hard to comprehend? He is right on when showing how every single shot is done to facilitate Lucas being able to direct from his fat ass while drinking his cup of coffee. Lucas is not interested in "dynamic" film-making. If he could replace real actors with digital ones, he would do it in a second. He would prefer to have everything done in the computer if he could.

He is terrible with actors. This was true even back in 1977 and is more so today. Everything is people walking the same 30 feet through CGI environments, or sitting on a couch talking. The same tricks being used over and over again.

On the contrary, rather than "spouting nonsense" this review summarizes better than ANY review out there why the prequel trilogy are just very poorly made movies.

In point of fact, I find almost nothing he said about these movies in his reviews off-base. Completely on-point and accurate.

Dennis

I could careless about Plinkett's performance but the guy speaks the truth. The prequels were garbage from start to finish and the only people I have ever met that enjoyed them were very simple minded. But I haven't seen a film I liked since the 80's so wtf do I know.:lol

I'm 20 minutes into the first part and I find his voice amazingly obnoxious... and the man makes absolutely no sense.
He keeps pretending he's delivering profound cinematic criticism in a really witty way, but he's just sprouting nonsense.

The 3rd part is what you want to watch

- he 'unfairly' compares Ep3 to Citizen Kane. Which really just shows the technical differences between making a good movie and a bad movie

-shows the 'walk and talk' format over and over again, and uses exaggeration to show how Lucas directs from his chair and just watches the film from his two monitors. Almost all of Padme's scenes are of her delivering dialogue while sitting down. :lol

- show just how many times we see a lightsaber falling, which is really unnecessary and quite funny.

- One of my favorite examples of his criticism is how 'inactive' the characters behave. Anakin walks into frame to tell Mace Windu that Palpatine is the Sith Lord, Mace says they must hurry. . . and then they continue to walk at a leisurely pace through the hangar. It shows that they only had about 30 feet of green screen to work on, and were physically limited by the space they were in, which makes absolutely no sense, because they theoretically can create an infinite amount of space. . . it's just laziness.

Now you compare that to something like Han and Leia walking and talking through Echo Base, arguing, delivering exposition, explaining the dire circumstances they're in. It's infinitely more entertaining and engaging to the viewer, just by the setting the fact that the environment is actually alive and they have to turn corners and stuff, it's not just them walking in a straight line against a background.

On the contrary, rather than "spouting nonsense" this review summarizes better than ANY review out there why the prequel trilogy are just very poorly made movies.

In point of fact, I find almost nothing he said about these movies in his reviews off-base. Completely on-point and accurate.

Dennis

Precisely. Plinkett isn't senselessly bashing why the prequels fell short of its potential, he provided a thorough refutation and even gave credit where credit was due.

However convincing a diehard prequel lover is futile, because they
tend to be intrinsically bias from the onset. More honest fans or
casual viewers can discern Plinkett's points.

One of the strongest points Plinkett made was the fact that Lucas decided to have the whole series center solely on Anakin as oppose
in making him a part of something bigger, which was
beautifully explained. So no, Plinkett wasn't spouting nonsense, he
hit the nail square on the head with his in depth review.

He also makes a good point about the CGI

Since I kinda work in the area, I hate that people keep saying how dumb it is for movies to use it. In the case of Star Wars, it's not that the CGI is bad, or that it shouldn't be used--it's that the actors have no interaction with the environment they are supposed to be in.

In any scene the background is completely irrelevant to what's going on

I've never been interested in this guy's "review", but seeing as Ep. III is one of my faves, I decided to give it a shot.

You wanted to see kid Han Solo didn't you. :(

Dennis

:exactly:

I still enjoy the prequels. But I have to agree on nearly every point he makes.

I just don't agree with your points guys, sorry.
It seems to me the man just picks on things that are allowed in any movie, that are part of the certain "suspension of disbelief" that is needed to enjoy some of these movies.
Mind you, I see Lucas' shortcomings in all the SW movies, I just enjoy them for what they are.

But let's leave it at that, otherwise accusations of fanboyism and such will start erupting all over the place and I've had enough of that...

It seems to me the man just picks on things that are allowed in any movie, that are part of the certain "suspension of disbelief" that is needed to enjoy some of these movies.

If Plinkett were actually nitpicking things as mundane as suspension of
disbelief then he surely wouldn't hold the OT in any higher esteem.
Not saying you're obligated to agree with him, but you hardly can
claim that he spews utter nonsense without providing some
sort of credible reason as to why that is so.

But let's leave it at that, otherwise accusations of fanboyism and such will start erupting all over the place and I've had enough of that...

True, that does become redundant, but at the same time I'll notice how only the extreme "fanboys"
treat various negative reviews and even constructive criticism with intrinsically no merit whatsoever.

Last edited:
Mind you, I see Lucas' shortcomings in all the SW movies, I just enjoy them for what they are.

I am not convinced you even understood the review. There was no nitpicking. :lol

His last 2 reviews really make me appreciate The Phantom Menace even more.

Yeah, it's crappy but other than an annoying child Anakin, it really didn't butcher the Original Trilogy stories like Clones and Sith did.

The narrative was piss poor, but I can still watch it out of nostalgia. It didn't really rely too heavily on CGI environments either. They actually went out on location (Naboo, Tatooine, etc.) to film the movie.

I don't remember too many, sit down, talk, sit down talk moments either. In fact, where it makes the most sense for Amidala to "sit on a couch all the time" considering she's a Queen, she really doesn't. She probably participates in the action more than she does in the other films.

That said, I still think The Phantom Menace is terrible, but out of the three films I feel it's the best. That's not saying much, but whatever.

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back all the way.

I am not convinced you even understood the review. There was no nitpicking. :lol

By the way I am not saying you don't have a valid opinion about the PT. I'm just saying that to criticize something that is very obviously a well thought out and clear critique as "nitpicking" is bull hockey. Plus he never even touches on anything that even remotely touches on suspension of disbelief. Perhaps you can elaborate a bit so as to clarify what you mean.

Back