Playstation 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I'm having major PC problems right now... I'm tempted to buy my PS4 now Or should I keep waiting for a Bundle?

Since I'm having major PC problems right now... I'm tempted to buy my PS4 now Or should I keep waiting for a Bundle?

IF you can find one buy all means jump on it they are tuff to come buy I got lucky as hell and got 1 today shipped out.

Crazy! I thought that would have slowed down by now.
Use this website thats how i found mine nowinstock.com it shows what online retailers have it in stock but you have to be quick i got up at 7 am and seen target had it in stock the bundle that comes with the extra controller for 459 plus tax and shipping came to 499 wasn't cheap but i was tired of waiting and infamous and metal gear wright around the corner.

Looks like we're definitely going to see Sony's VR HMD at GDC in a couple weeks. I'm so ready to see what they've come up with. While the PS4 is a nice machine, it's a bit underpowered for the kind of VR experience the Oculus Rift will offer. Maybe they've figured out a way to optimize games to an extent that allows for a great VR experience. Hopefully, we'll see some exclusive games as well. I don't want them to try and shoehorn vr modes into existing games. That never works as well as games that were designed with VR in mind from day on. It could work for some games, but not all. Outlast could work well...it would be terrifying, but it could work..Resogun could look amazing in vr as well. Best case scenario is original content though. Price it cheap and get the devs behind it and it could be the start of something awesome.

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/sony-set-to-reveal-ps4-virtual-reality-headset-at-gdc-2014-1226620

They should be capable to render games just fine for current VR--the newest Oculus Rift uses a 1080p screen that displays the two images, PS4 is already rendering at 1080p so it would be able to match that capability if the Sony headset is similar. The main deal is can they get it to be wireless, and can they get the price to be reasonable. Their last HMD cost like $1000 and was huge, 720p, wired, and didn't have head tracking.

But can the PS4 render 1080p twice? I'm not so sure. It depends on the game I suppose. They could possibly take PS3 games and do solid conversions to VR. At least on certain titles where it would work well. Gran Turismo or any racing game for instance. The PS4 shouldn't have to work too hard to do that. I think they'll be smart about price. They can't charge anywhere near 1k for a console device. That'd be the dumbest thing ever. IMO, they'll price it below the PS4. I can't see it selling otherwise. The great thing about Sony making an HMD is that it'll be demoed all over the place. People will be able to experience it. Oculus won't be able to do that to the extent that Sony can, so this will be a chance for VR to be seen first hand. I just hope Sony has a good solution or it could have the opposite effect and kill the public perception VR before it has a chance.

SOURCE - Gamespot

PlayStation 4 crosses 6 million sales following strong Japan launch
The PS4 hits another sales milestone, with at least 3 million console owners also buying PlayStation Plus.
by Martin Gaston on March 4, 2014

The PlayStation 4 has now sold more than 6 million units worldwide, following the machine's launch in Japan at the end of February.

370,000 units have now been shifted in Japan, Sony announced today. The PS4 has now blitzed past Sony's 5m sales target for the end of March, and 13.7 million games have been sold on PlayStation 4--including 2.1 million sales for Killzone: Shadow Fall.

On top of all that, at least half of those six million PS4 owners have signed up to PlayStation Plus, which will generate another sizable wad of revenue for Sony. A chunk of that is at least partially attributable to the fact that PlayStation Plus is now required to play multiplayer games, which isn't the case for PS3 and Vita.

Sony also announced that 100 million "Shares" have been captured--although at least five of them are me accidentally forgetting that it's not the Select button any more--and the PS4 has also been used for more than 3.6 million Twitch and Ustream broadcasts.

Sony Computer Entertainment president Andrew House said he was "absolutely delighted that PS4 is off to such a great start in Japan."

"The responses we have received for the PS4 system's integrated social capabilities have been phenomenal, and I couldn't be more thrilled that gamers are utilising these unique features to engage, share, play and connect with users around the world."

"[Sony] will continue to expand the world of PlayStation by growing its library of breakthrough games and bringing more innovative features and services only possible on PS4."

But can the PS4 render 1080p twice? I'm not so sure. It depends on the game I suppose. They could possibly take PS3 games and do solid conversions to VR. At least on certain titles where it would work well. Gran Turismo or any racing game for instance. The PS4 shouldn't have to work too hard to do that. I think they'll be smart about price. They can't charge anywhere near 1k for a console device. That'd be the dumbest thing ever. IMO, they'll price it below the PS4. I can't see it selling otherwise. The great thing about Sony making an HMD is that it'll be demoed all over the place. People will be able to experience it. Oculus won't be able to do that to the extent that Sony can, so this will be a chance for VR to be seen first hand. I just hope Sony has a good solution or it could have the opposite effect and kill the public perception VR before it has a chance.

That's not how it works, it's one 1080p screen that is displaying a double image, so it's as if it were 2 screens each at 960x1080 resolution
They use one screen instead of two separate ones because it's difficult to get 2 screens to sync together. The Sony HMD's though used 2 separate 720p OLED screens so they might still do it that way.

Now you're confusing me LOL. 3D is achieved by rendering two slightly different images essentially requiring the hardware to render everything twice. Whether it's on one screen or two doesn't matter because there still needs to be two distinct images being rendered for the effect to work. That's why they had to reduce the rez so much on the PS3 to do 3D. It couldn't handle rendering both images at the same time at the higher rez it normally displays at in 2d. This is how I've always understood 3d. You've always been much more tech savvy than I, so you could be right or I'm just not following you...Or are you saying, they could go with 720p and it'll still look good?

Now you're confusing me LOL. 3D is achieved by rendering two slightly different images essentially requiring the hardware to render everything twice. Whether it's on one screen or two doesn't matter because there still needs to be two distinct images being rendered for the effect to work. That's why they had to reduce the rez so much on the PS3 to do 3D. It couldn't handle rendering both images at the same time at the higher rez it normally displays at in 2d. This is how I've always understood 3d. You've always been much more tech savvy than I, so you could be right or I'm just not following you...Or are you saying, they could go with 720p and it'll still look good?

You've got it right, it's two images, but for the Oculus rift the images get rendered at half the width so that it can display both images on a single screen side-by-side (each image is 960x1080 so together it makes one 1920x1080 image). The 3D effect works by putting the screen up to your face and then each eye can only see half of the screen.
So, since the PS4 is capable of rendering a full 1080p image (1920x1080) it should be able to do that just fine. 3D rendering can even be optimized because both images are rendering mostly the same stuff so it saves a lot on memory and they can even improve it further if they try.

I see what you're saying. I have a dev kit and the rez is pretty crappy, so I hope 1080p is enough to make a big improvement. I'm really looking forward to seeing this thing. I have a lot of questions about it. How did they solve the tracking problem, does it have low persistence like the new Crystal Cove prototype, what are the exclusive games for it etc..I wonder if they'll use the Move with it or have another solution for hand tracking.

The PS4 camera could do some form of body tracking--it can get a depth image almost like Kinect but it doesn't have as good of quality.

If VR takes off I want to see someone make a Pacific Rim game, where you're playing a Jaeger pilot. I think that type of thing could work really well.

Oh yeah..that could work. They may use tracking dots like the Cove to help the camera pick it up better and hopefully get a good response. It needs to be as close to 1:1 as possible. I'm not sure if the current camera can do that.

Mech games and any game that involves piloting something in a seated position will be perfect VR experiences. Add some hand tracking and you'd have an incredibly immersive game.

The Crystal Cove prototype is tracked through a regular webcam, they just need some points to track on the headset and they need to be able to process it very fast. Stuff I want to see the most:
Pilot games (racing, starships, mechs)
Fighting Games
RTS games (stand on a map)

I'm with you on pilot games and strategies. It would be awesome to stand on the map and actually reach down and pick a unit up and move them like chess pieces.

I've played a few flying games in the dev kit and they always give me that crazy vertigo sensation. It's a great feeling even though it can be nauseating with the dev kit problems. The sense of height and speed is incredibly convincing. Haven't tried a racer yet. I can only imagine what's going to be like with positional tracking (I'm always fighting the urge to lean out of the cockpit and take a look around) and better rez.

Back