Playstation 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm getting good fps, but I think it's more the rez, lack of full tracking and the motion blur. Tracking's a big one. If I shift in my chair, nothing happens in the game. It's a weird queasy feeling. Same with when you instinctively lean toward something to get a better look and nothing happens. Your brain hates that. I originally thought that I was just not compatible with VR, but hearing everything Oculus has been doing with the low persistence make me think it's primarily the blurring that's causing vr sickness. I've heard from people who got sick using the dev kit and they said the Cove was a great experience for them. When the dev kit was created, they had no idea about how to get rid of motion blur or exactly how important it was to remove it. Now it seems they've not only pinpointed the effects on users, but how to remove it from the experience and this has almost removed vr sickness from what I've been hearing.

I know it's still early days but so far the support has just been updates and not features that should be present.

• I can't use my downloaded avatars for example on PS4. I have to go into my PS3 change it there and then it'll appear changed on my ps4 but I can't do it from the PS4.
  • No mp3 support
  • No themes or backgrounds

And so on. I love my PS4 for gaming but there's little else it can do

Well, I'm getting good fps, but I think it's more the rez, lack of full tracking and the motion blur. Tracking's a big one. If I shift in my chair, nothing happens in the game. It's a weird queasy feeling. Same with when you instinctively lean toward something to get a better look and nothing happens. Your brain hates that. I originally thought that I was just not compatible with VR, but hearing everything Oculus has been doing with the low persistence make me think it's primarily the blurring that's causing vr sickness. I've heard from people who got sick using the dev kit and they said the Cove was a great experience for them. When the dev kit was created, they had no idea about how to get rid of motion blur or exactly how important it was to remove it. Now it seems they've not only pinpointed the effects on users, but how to remove it from the experience and this has almost removed vr sickness from what I've been hearing.

The motion blur is part of it, where the pixels aren't changing fast enough. A higher framerate can help a lot with it to so that the flashes between frames aren't so dramatic.

Yeah, high fps is always a good thing. 60 seems to be "good enough" though. I watched an interview with someone from Oculus who did a detailed explanation of what they've done to fix the blur. They said that they have the screen refreshing less. It requires a really high refresh rate, but the low persistence means that the screen is cutting off (instead of have the screen guess and fill the gaps between the frames. So the screen is only showing you proper data instead of the guestimate that it usually does. I'm doing a bad job explaining what he said, but the results seem to be legit. It's a combination of everything of course, but this low persistence thing seems to be the missing piece of the puzzle they were after.

I know it's still early days but so far the support has just been updates and not features that should be present.

• I can't use my downloaded avatars for example on PS4. I have to go into my PS3 change it there and then it'll appear changed on my ps4 but I can't do it from the PS4.
  • No mp3 support
  • No themes or backgrounds

And so on. I love my PS4 for gaming but there's little else it can do

This is why I don't get consoles at launch.

Finally bought my first games: Killzone and tomb raider de. I used the by two get one free coupon from gamestop. Also got the new final fantasy on PS3, all for $60.

SOURCE - Polygon

GameStop hikes price on hard to find PlayStation 4 camera
By Michael McWhertor on Mar 05, 2014 at 9:30p

Retailer GameStop is selling the PlayStation 4's camera above the device's suggested price, tacking on an extra $10 for the accessory as it remains in short supply at retail.

The camera carries a suggested retailer price of $59, according to a Sony press release from 2013. GameStop currently carries it for $69.99, though it listed the PS4 camera at its original price last month.

Sony's PlayStation Camera is sold out or unavailable at major online retailers like Best Buy, Target and Amazon, though other sellers are listing the PS4 camera through Amazon, with prices starting at $98. Polygon contacted Sony Computer Entertainment America last month about the PlayStation Camera's supply issues and when PS4 owners might be able to find the accessory more easily, and we received the following statement:

"While we do not comment on the sales figures, shipment or monthly production quantity, PlayStation Camera remains in high demand, and we've been pleased with the camera's popularity among PlayStation 4 owners," a spokesperson said. "PS4's broadcasting capabilities have been a driver for strong sales of the PS Camera, which puts the gamer front and center to engage with the community more directly. We continue to control our production according to market demand and increase the production as necessary to meet the needs."

We followed up with SCEA again today and are awaiting comment.

Polygon contacted GameStop to ask if its PlayStation Camera pricing was posted in error or in response to supply and demand, but received no response. The retailer has adjusted pricing on scarce items before, charging well above original suggested retail pricing for Wii games Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade Chronicles. Prices on those two games have since been lowered.

Hmm..wasn't aware of the rarity of the old camera. Maybe Sony has discontinued the old in favor of a better version to be launched with the VR HMD...or packaged with it.

Back