Playstation 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raises hand on the same issue as well, the console won't turn on after being in "Rest" mode. Had to kill the power. Twice.

Not sure if is a widespread issue, but if this persists, we'll need a new dedicated thread. :lol

Yup, the best thing to do is just turn it off till they fix the problem.....btw, is it better to leave the console on sleep mode or turn it off? Just wondering.

Sounds like Sony is turning into Apple. Do an update that's "suppose" to fix problems, but yet causes worse ones........

Yup, the best thing to do is just turn it off till they fix the problem.....btw, is it better to leave the console on sleep mode or turn it off? Just wondering.

I have this age old ritual with the PS3. After playing games, I would leave the console on the XMB for at least 10 minutes before turning it off. I would never just turn off the PS3 after a game, since there is still heat trapped inside and having the console sit on idle for a while ensures all the accumulated heat will properly dissipate.

I'm applying the same approach to the PS4, I'll always wait 10 minutes before turning it off.

While there's no exact science to back this up, I personally think it does no harm and in theory makes sense when you think about it, no?

A little update for you guys: I tried the solution which Sony suggested which was to rebuild the database. Seems to have solve the Rest issue.

However, I only put the console to Rest for a minute or two. People are reporting that it wont wake up from anywhere between a minute to several hours. To be sure, I'm putting it to Rest mode for an hour and see if it wakes up. Update later.

I have this age old ritual with the PS3. After playing games, I would leave the console on the XMB for at least 10 minutes before turning it off. I would never just turn off the PS3 after a game, since there is still heat trapped inside and having the console sit on idle for a while ensures all the accumulated heat will properly dissipate.

I'm applying the same approach to the PS4, I'll always wait 10 minutes before turning it off.

While there's no exact science to back this up, I personally think it does no harm and in theory makes sense when you think about it, no?

I think it makes a lot of sense, because when the CPU and GPU run at high loads, the fans will rev-up to dissipate the heat faster. I'd think shutting down your console immediately would have adverse effect on the lifespan of the components, and it might even degrade your thermal paste a lot faster. After all, cooling at room temperature isn't exactly the most efficient way to get rid of trapped heat (why else do the consoles have system fans, right? :lol).

Unfortunately, there's no way to test these claims, because it would involved weeks, months, or even years of experimental observation to determine the type of usage that would cause a console to die faster. But, like you said, it's better to be safe than sorry.

In any case, I use the same methodology for my PS3 and PC. After an intensive gaming session, I'll let them sit on idle for about 10 minutes before shutting down.

Woo great update Sony. If this keeps up I'm switching to xbone

They'll get their act together man :lol. You chose the right console, especially with exclusives like TLOU and Uncharted.

I think it makes a lot of sense, because when the CPU and GPU run at high loads, the fans will rev-up to dissipate the heat faster. I'd think shutting down your console immediately would have adverse effect on the lifespan of the components, and it might even degrade your thermal paste a lot faster. After all, cooling at room temperature isn't exactly the most efficient way to get rid of trapped heat (why else do the consoles have system fans, right? :lol).

Unfortunately, there's no way to test these claims, because it would involved weeks, months, or even years of experimental observation to determine the type of usage that would cause a console to die faster. But, like you said, it's better to be safe than sorry.

In any case, I use the same methodology for my PS3 and PC. After an intensive gaming session, I'll let them sit on idle for about 10 minutes before shutting down.

I did read about it in a 2008/9 article and which convinced me to do it and have been doing so every time without fail to this day. I do believe however, that console owners are often blissfully ignorant of cooling down their systems. And forget about those 3rd part intercoolers as well, it was proven do do more harm than good! :slap

Okay another update: It's been two hours since I went to rest mode and the console woke up just fine.

Conclusion: Sony's recommended fix works like a charm. Hope you guys try it out.

I got some of those rubber grip it pads for the sticks and it's like night and day, the standard rubber is like grease :lol

I did read about it in a 2008/9 article and which convinced me to do it and have been doing so every time without fail to this day. I do believe however, that console owners are often blissfully ignorant of cooling down their systems. And forget about those 3rd part intercoolers as well, it was proven do do more harm than good! :slap

Yeah I've seen a lot of people with ruined 360s/PS3s that had them trapped in an enclosed AV shelf. Even though I put mine in a cabinet I do have both the front and back open when I'm using them so there's at least some air getting in and out.

I got some of those rubber grip it pads for the sticks and it's like night and day, the standard rubber is like grease :lol

Yeah, the Perfect Controller™ ruined by the halogen bright led and cheaper than Hot Toys rubber. :lol

Yeah I've seen a lot of people with ruined 360s/PS3s that had them trapped in an enclosed AV shelf. Even though I put mine in a cabinet I do have both the front and back open when I'm using them so there's at least some air getting in and out.

That sounds like hardware suicide. The PS4 intakes air from the sides though, and there's no frontal air intake whatsoever, so keep that in mind. A vertical stand has been proven to make the console hotter too, as it cuts off one side of air intake.

Anyway, anybody wants to SharePlay with me? I'll be your best friend!

Hey, I thought we were best buds on the PS3. Traitor!! :(

Strange that they placed the intakes on the side, though. Does it still exhaust from the back?

The PS4 is epic bro! Splosions' so real, you don't need anything else to get high! EPEEEK!

Anyway, being a PC guy I figure you might understand this better than I do, tell me what you think:

Sony engineer unveils the 'functional beauty' of the PS4's cooling system

Is it the way it's meant to be played? :lol

It sounds like the fans make good use of natural convection in conjunction with positive and negative air-pressure, to bring cold air from the bottom, up through the heat-sinks, and then expelling the hot air from the exhaust ports at the sides (and back?). Seems like a good cooling solution. You still wouldn't want to leave a PS4 in a cabinet, though.

Did the rebuild data base and it worked fine when in rest mode but played a game for about 30 min then put it on rest again and it crapped out again, guess i'll be shutting it off from now on till it gets fixed, dont wanna damage the system.

Did the rebuild data base and it worked fine when in rest mode but played a game for about 30 min then put it on rest again and it crapped out again, guess i'll be shutting it off from now on till it gets fixed, dont wanna damage the system.

I've read on forums that there have been problems after the rebuild as well. It will be fixed soon I'm sure. Sony won't leave us hanging

I've read on forums that there have been problems after the rebuild as well. It will be fixed soon I'm sure. Sony won't leave us hanging

Im sure it'll get fixed soon but its a bit annoying when you have to turn off the console when you are downloading something.

Is it the way it's meant to be played? :lol

Boom.

Anyway guys, I wouldn't worry about the sleep issue, it seems that it's such a widespread problem but it won't brick your console. I would just uncheck the auto sleep settings for now and not use it until a patch is ready.

Btw has anybody noticed the UI is more responsive?

Back