Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Franchise Merchandise Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Hot Toys Pirates of the Caribbean Thread

you know, i had not thought about the fact that the head is cast in flesh colored plastic... i might be able to simply remove the paint with some paint removal agent....... hmmm...

I really want to like that figure but there are a few things that bug me about it. 1) The sculpt just isn't Jack to me. Why so serious? and 2) the skin tone is poorly chosen- way too dark to me. And finally 3) the height is bonkers. I feel like Jack is more of a sneaky scheming smaller guy. The Hot Toys figure makes him look kind of bulky.

I do like the Cannibal version though because of the great headsculpt and accessories. I think I would just like to complete that Jack by finding a coat and a hat.

HT is releasing a slimmer TT body, you could always use that for a Johnny Depp body. I think I may do that when it gets released. Also, for the jacket you could do like I did and just pop the smiling face head onto an original Jack body and he looks just fine.

Thanks guys!

I'm going to experiment a little with Cannibal Jack, since he's still unfutzed... see if I can get him even lower in the boots. I just want to be able to stand him upright and still work in scale.

Hey WG, I remember you were working on a pirate clad Elizabeth. So I was inspired to take some pics of my own with the Secret Service female (who has a striking resemblance to Swann). Heres some pics:

Pirate.jpg

Pirate1.jpg

Pirate2.jpg

Hey WG, I remember you were working on a pirate clad Elizabeth. So I was inspired to take some pics of my own with the Secret Service female (who has a striking resemblance to Swann). Heres some pics:

Pirate.jpg

Any chance you have an older female Hot Toys figure. Somehow the SS figure seems bigger than previous females, I'd like to know, could be worth hunting down to improve some HT figures.

Any chance you have an older female Hot Toys figure. Somehow the SS figure seems bigger than previous females, I'd like to know, could be worth hunting down to improve some HT figures.

Actually, this is true. I do feel the Secret Service female is taller than the older HT body. She has a slightly longer torso and longer neck with a slimmer waistline and more bust. Next to Elizabeth or Ripley she comes of taller and looks more athletic, where as the 2 previously mentioned have thicker waistlines and look a little more stout and appear to be shorter.

I just received my Jack Sparrow and Cannibal Jack Sparrow figures. After a lot of posing and asking friends and family I posed Cannibal Jack in a wooden chair I customized to look like a throne and my other Jack kept his serious expression. I can't help it, the serious face just looks a bit more like Jack than the smiling face. I can't figure out why.

Actually, this is true. I do feel the Secret Service female is taller than the older HT body. She has a slightly longer torso and longer neck with a slimmer waistline and more bust. Next to Elizabeth or Ripley she comes of taller and looks more athletic, where as the 2 previously mentioned have thicker waistlines and look a little more stout and appear to be shorter.

Hmm, may pick up one for a swap then.

Hmm, may pick up one for a swap then.

I actually swapped my Elizabeth's body a month ago. the only noticeable issue is you'll have a slight gap in the neck. The heads designed for the older bodies sit lower on the neck. I'll post some pics to show the difference. The scale looks much better in comparison to the other POTC characters.

Heres a pic of my Elizabeth Swann figure with post ankle surgery Jack and Will. Elizabeth's body is transplanted with the new HT female Secret Service body and has Jack's ankle extension adding height to her body. As you can see in this pic, they all look in proper scale and proportion to each other. The new body gives Elizabeth the more slender look with a longer neck, and the ankle extensions the proper height.

Pirates.jpg

Have fun MaulFan!:D IMHO these changes make the needed difference to the POTC figures.

I actually swapped my Elizabeth's body a month ago. the only noticeable issue is you'll have a slight gap in the neck. The heads designed for the older bodies sit lower on the neck. I'll post some pics to show the difference. The scale looks much better in comparison to the other POTC characters.

I'd appreciate pics of the neck issue you're referring to.

Edit: So the body swap alone didn't cure the height issue for the above picture, you had to add Jack's extenders to the body too?

I like to be inspirational. :)

You used the Medi Jack, right? The smaller scale of the Medi works well for Swann, I particularly like the boots. I didn't have a Medi-Jack so that wasn't an option for me and I couldn't find any loose parts. But the clothes do seem to fit better without having to stitch/sew for fit.

The Medi-Vest doesn't close on her though, does it?

Pirate.jpg

I'd appreciate pics of the neck issue you're referring to.

Edit: So the body swap alone didn't cure the height issue for the above picture, you had to add Jack's extenders to the body too?

Yes, the body swap alone gave Swann a little bit of height (she looks more like 5'5"-5'6", rather than 5'-5'2" the original seems to be), but not enough to make a major noticeable difference. After the ankle extensions, you can see she's spot on 5'9" Knightley height.

I like to be inspirational. :)

You used the Medi Jack, right? The smaller scale of the Medi works well for Swann, I particularly like the boots. I didn't have a Medi-Jack so that wasn't an option for me and I couldn't find any loose parts. But the clothes do seem to fit better without having to stitch/sew for fit.

The Medi-Vest doesn't close on her though, does it?

Yes, I used the Medicom Jack outfit. The Medi clothes fit that slender wispy body that is their standard body. Unfortunately the jacket is not designed to close, it just flares open, but I'm sure buttons, a latch, or velcro can be added.

Yes, I used the Medicom Jack outfit. The Medi clothes fit that slender wispy body that is their standard body. Unfortunately the jacket is not designed to close, it just flares open, but I'm sure buttons, a latch, or velcro can be added.

I was always curious if there was enough material to close the Medi-Vest. Someone else made one like that and told me the vest couldn't close because there wasn't enough material. Not sure if that is the case.

I was always curious if there was enough material to close the Medi-Vest. Someone else made one like that and told me the vest couldn't close because there wasn't enough material. Not sure if that is the case.

You're right, I tried closing the jacket and it does reach to the point of the waist, but that's the only point it will meet at. The Medi jacket is designed to be open about 2" apart, it is sewn straight in the back with straight pieces over the front of the shoulders and no excess slack for it to be closed.

Not to change the subject, but how long has it been since Davy was announced or released? Do y'all still think they're going to keep going with the line?

Not to change the subject, but how long has it been since Davy was announced or released? Do y'all still think they're going to keep going with the line?

Davy shipped like last April. They've said they're done for now, possibly see something when the 4th film starts hitting heavy promotion, but that's at least a year away most likely.

That's too bad. I was looking forward to a Barbossa and funds permitting replacing my AWE Elizabeth with one in pirate garb. I wonder if they'll ever go back and do that if she isn't in the next movie. Maybe I'll just use the money from not buying those to upgrade from my Medi Jack to HT...

Thanks for the info.

I can't believe I haven't seen that done yet. The cannibal head has the most Depp like qualities to me- especially the facial expression.

I've already done that. I wasn't bothered in keeping the patterning on his face. I just wanted the best likeness of Depp so I acetoned it off and did a slight re-touch. I'll see If I can post some photos of how it came out. I was quite pleased with the result myself.

I've already done that. I wasn't bothered in keeping the patterning on his face. I just wanted the best likeness of Depp so I acetoned it off and did a slight re-touch. I'll see If I can post some photos of how it came out. I was quite pleased with the result myself.

Please do post some photos. I am interested in seeing the results. :D

Back