Pirates 5 Merch? Toy Fair? Anything besides Minimates?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pure speculation on my part, but I have to assume that the Diamond Select figure will probably be Salazar as a ghost because that's the look that they went for with his Minimates figure.

DMC12781.jpg

It's also just a great and more iconic look for him, and way better than the father boring "pajama uniform" human look.

I wonder how they'll do his hair, swappable hair bits for different looks would be amazing but nothing more than a wishful thinking. I hope the sculpt shows how the right side of his head is missing under that hair

Spin Master toys showing up in Target. Supposedly available May 1rst on hand at the Disney Store as well but I saw all the product yesterday afternoon in Target. Role play items look cute. Figures suck. The boats are the prize ... These appear in scale for better or worse with Zizzle product from years past. Definitely picking up Silent Mary. She is $50.00 while the rest of the product is below $20.00 a piece.

It's been reported by one of the DST reps that the Pirates of the Caribbean Select figures have been cancelled. Don't know why though, and I'm bummed as I was looking forward to them. I'm glad Figuarts is coming out with theirs though. Hopefully they announce Barbossa soon.

It's been reported by one of the DST reps that the Pirates of the Caribbean Select figures have been cancelled. Don't know why though, and I'm bummed as I was looking forward to them. I'm glad Figuarts is coming out with theirs though. Hopefully they announce Barbossa soon.

POTC Selects cancelled? They've gotta be s***ing us. The least they could do is reveal the Salazar that they never showed at Toy Fair. :thud:

POTC Selects cancelled? They've gotta be s***ing us. The least they could do is reveal the Salazar that they never showed at Toy Fair. :thud:
Is there any official info on they Salazar? Only thing I've ever been able to find is a post on one website. Would love to get him :(

Is there any official info on they Salazar? Only thing I've ever been able to find is a post on one website. Would love to get him :(

All I heard is that they were "doing" Salazar as a Select figure. With Jack and Barbossa cancelled, we'll probably never even see the prototype of Salazar. :monkey2

Pure speculation on my part, but I have a feeling that the figures were cancelled due to poor sales (orders from retailers). If this is true, then I think it truly speaks for how well the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is kept in the public eye - which is to say "not very well" since Disney fills every store to the roof with Star Wars merchandise (one of many examples).

I'm really disappointed too as I wanted them to go back to the previous movies and do figures of all those characters. I'm not sure how likely that is anymore. Lack of preorders could be the possible reason. And like you said there's a lack of POTC merchandise in general. Even the Disney Store website doesn't have much. I've always wanted to see much more out there. Though I do wonder why the live action Alice in Wonderland figures were able to be released, and not the Pirates? Were PO's better for those?

Beyond disappointing!

Zizzle went bust.
Neca moved on.
Jakks had said they let the license go.
Spin Master told me that they made a company decision to pursue the style they did.
Diamond was the last chance to realize anything in the action figure arena without importing. But no surprise. I'm really tired of a boutique collectibles company that doesn't deliver any collectibles worth chasing down. Minimates, banks, bottle openers, over priced starships that may or not have errors, no thanks.

And shame on the Disney Store! There is no reason they couldnt have delivered at least Jack and Salazar dolls for their own exclusive. Instead, I go into their store now and nothing but Marvel & Star Wars crap. The Pirates section was so sad. Not even Silent Mary. Just a role play toy and a couple of "imaginext" style figures. What sad times.

But hey, if they don't want money than that's their choice.

Instead, I went to eBay and picked up the Disney Store Pirates dolls from years ago. Didn't have them and was hungry for Pirates merch, COOL merch, not token trash.

Years ago I got most of those older Disney Store exclusive 6" Pirates figures. They were nice for that time and still are actually, but I'd like some figures with updated articulation, which to an extent these DST figures would've had. At least SHF is starting with Jack Sparrow. I prefer that figure anyway for the amount of articulation it will have.

You'd think DST could have worked out a deal with the Disney Store to make them exclusive there, just like they have a lot of exclusive Marvel Select figures. Sure is disappointing if we don't get them at all.

Beyond disappointing!

Zizzle went bust.
Neca moved on.
Jakks had said they let the license go.
Spin Master told me that they made a company decision to pursue the style they did.
Diamond was the last chance to realize anything in the action figure arena without importing. But no surprise. I'm really tired of a boutique collectibles company that doesn't deliver any collectibles worth chasing down. Minimates, banks, bottle openers, over priced starships that may or not have errors, no thanks.

And shame on the Disney Store! There is no reason they couldnt have delivered at least Jack and Salazar dolls for their own exclusive. Instead, I go into their store now and nothing but Marvel & Star Wars crap. The Pirates section was so sad. Not even Silent Mary. Just a role play toy and a couple of "imaginext" style figures. What sad times.

But hey, if they don't want money than that's their choice.

Instead, I went to eBay and picked up the Disney Store Pirates dolls from years ago. Didn't have them and was hungry for Pirates merch, COOL merch, not token trash.

Bloody *&^%. So folks are saying I SHOULDN'T let go of my Black Pearl playset, the figs I bought to go with it - think they are Zizzle about 6", and the Disney set where the figures are attached to bits of deck - some sort of Disney playset I picked up. I was packing stuff up to try to clear some of the collecting clutter.

Keeping the collector Black Pearl tho and all THOSE figs tho - might have been Hamilton co., can't remember. The ship has lights...

D*&^ wish I had picked up the NECA JS long way back. But would only let go of my HT Jacks in an extreme emergency - years from now, I figure that character is so recognized and so iconic doesn't matter when the movies are considered "old movies". Jack Sparrow is a classic on the shelf.

IMO it is sad times. Can see a company has to make stuff that sells, but like when WETA came out with the dwarf barrel rider figures, they did a few and quit - and I'm glad I didn't buy them because either make the whole line, or don't do it. Then there was that *scandal* when the Smaug fig was released and it was a tiny toy in a huge box at a ridiculous price.

For general merch love the keychains that came out re COTBP, DMC, and AWE:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJJKQHQ/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497198304&sr=sr-1&keywords=POTC+keychain

Heavy pewter and really well done - Disney merch but I get via Amazon or E-bay. I'm really gonna CHERISH these now.

Agree too much SW stuff. Maybe a true SW fan could keep track, but not sure how. My local Target doesn't even do a good job with Marvel or DC. Plus the Target manager told me Target is overhauling several of its departments all at once right now - comes all the way from corporate level. I could tell them to quit understocking and never did like their new web design.

I think the POTC franchise glory days have been over since 2007, at least domestically. Each movie released has grossed less starting with AWE.

I don't know how successful the merch has been over the years, but that seems to be on a downward trend like the movies themselves.

Speaking personally, I still have a lot of love for COTBP, and some for DMC, but I haven't felt the same about the franchise since. I grew to hate AWE, and was utterly bored by On Stranger Tides. A lot of my issues stem from the characters, like Jack going from a cunning pirate that played off balance to just being a straight up cartoon caricature. Following Will and Elizabeth and the wasted potential Norrington up with lesser characters. Relying on Barbossa so that Jack can be an idiot. Their inability/lack of desire to develop Jack while still trying to make him the lead has sucked, IMO. It's the same old, same old, and has been since DMC with him.

The franchise itself lost me. But I would still be pretty tempted by quality 1/6th versions of Jack, Elizabeth, Will, Norrington and Barbossa from COTBP, or even DMC. But I have no interest in anything from 3, 4, or 5.

Just came across this at one of my local costume shops - kids' costume accessory of the Trident. Nothing I'm interested in but still surprised to see it.

xVKm8PL.png

Maybe we shall see somemof the stylized figures that disney is now doing they have done marvel and star wars im hoping we get an animated jack they look to have decent articulation

Back