Photography Tips and Tricks-New Camera

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check out these two pics. both are shot at the same angle/position. the big difference is in the apertures. f/1.4 vs f/16

IMG_7273.jpg

IMG_7275.jpg

Very cool. It even looks like the camera picked up more detail on the Silver Surfer as well. Very neat. Did you use a remote or the camera timer? I personally love the blurry backgrounds on pictures with a low F-number but that clarity on your f/16 picture can't be beat.

if you look at the first pic you can see the background is nicely blurred but his right arm/hand is blurry also. not something i'd really like. i meter in center weighted average so the "red pointer" was close to his chest area. his unfocused right hand is a little in front of the focus area. anyone have suggestions on how to get it within focus without increasing f stops?

Very cool. It even looks like the camera picked up more detail on the Silver Surfer as well. Very neat. Did you use a remote or the camera timer? I personally love the blurry backgrounds on pictures with a low F-number but that clarity on your f/16 picture can't be beat.

i use both a remote and the camera's timer. i also like "bokeh" images but sometimes the entire frame on the subject doesn't get clearly focused. high f stops do help but i find that it distracts from the subject since you see more of the "busy" background. :)

I see what you mean about his hand being blurry. I don't know how to fix that and keep the background blur. Increasing the f number will result in everything getting crisper and coming into focus. Maybe this is just a compromise that has to be made. The lower the f number the narrower your depth of field is?

if you look at the first pic you can see the background is nicely blurred but his right arm/hand is blurry also. not something i'd really like. i meter in center weighted average so the "red pointer" was close to his chest area. his unfocused right hand is a little in front of the focus area. anyone have suggestions on how to get it within focus without increasing f stops?

The only option would be to increase the f-stop. One stop should be ok. The reason is the depth of field changes with the apature. The larger the apature (smaller f number)the narrower the Depth of field. With a narrow depth of field the the area at the focus point will be sharp while anything closer or further away will be out of focus. If you a wider Depth of Field you will have more distances focused but all areas will be less sharp then with the narrow DOF.

I noticed you used a f 1.4 thats is extremely narrow. If I find the cool lil drawing the shows how this works I will post it.

On a side not that is a great setup to understand this, you could take a series of the same photo each a higher f stop and then compare the results. I think you would have a good sharp Silver Surfer with burry background going up a stop or two.

Ok in the image below you have two lenses. On the left you have a very large apature on the right a smaller apature. In this image both are focused on the heart. The Different color lines are showing how the image comes thru the lens . On the left you will see as is comes in the blue lines come back to the same width as on the object(the heart), the red comes in too wide and the green comes in to narrow and over laps. On the right you will see that the blue again is the same but the red and green are much closer to the original thus in more focus. This works the same as the human eye. On the left the red and green lines show how it works when you are near or far sighted.

Hope this helps.

Diaphragm.jpg

I need a camera. I can see the power of the SLR, but don't want to blow out more than $300 bucks. Yet, I'd like something ultra-compact for traveling. I've checked dpreview and steves digicams, but there's a LOT to sort through.

The Canon Elph SD1000 looks like a good start, but the image quality is not SLR-like at all... or maybe just spring for a camcorder that takes good pictures, hah!

I love this effect! :chew

When is Australia I went to an art gallary and they had loads of rain forest photos with water falls and streams. The photographer had used the same effect and it looked like smoke.

They'd used a filer to Photoshop to bring up all the greens as well. They looked stunning.

I'm now going to see if I can do the water effect with my Canon PowerShot A620! I might need a tripod though...

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

I love this effect! :chew

When is Australia I went to an art gallary and they had loads of rain forest photos with water falls and streams. The photographer had used the same effect and it looked like smoke.

They'd used a filer to Photoshop to bring up all the greens as well. They looked stunning.

I'm now going to see if I can do the water effect with my Canon PowerShot A620! I might need a tripod though...

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

A tripod you will need sir!! :lol

I think I am going to try and get that effect again soon. I even have a remote to trip the shutter on my camera so the picture will turn out even crisper. It's funny how much I have learned since the start of this thread. It's very true, the only way to get a hold of this all is to practice. :rock

Ya, the water effects shots will require a tri-pod. If you get the right scenery and all, they can be absolutely gorgeous images, but you also need lighting to be on your side too.

Hi guys. Ordered my self a EOS Digital Rebel XT (400d is what we call it in Europe). This bad boy should be here on Monday, already purchased a 4gb compact flash extreme III.

Gonna ask a lot of questions here :lol. So if I just want to take some pics of my collectibles, does shutter speed matter a lot?

So if I just want to take some pics of my collectibles, does shutter speed matter a lot?

congrats geto!

basically, the higher the ISO (shutter speed) then the less chance of blur from camera shake. the downside is if you go too high then it'll introduce "noise" in your pictures. i highly recommend taking pics with a steady tripod and remote switch. that's just me though. :D

i also set my camera to aperture priority mode (Av)

https://www.best-family-photography-tips.com/aperture-priority.html

you control the camera's "opening" / aperture and it automatically calculates the proper shutter speed to take it at.

Hiya huys...

I also got a EOS 400D, Took these pics the other day:

This one is very blurry, but I don't have a tripod (yet) but I think it came out pretty cool anyway:

A frog I saved from dying:

My beautiful dog:

Please come with some critiqu on how I can improve!

those are some cool shots Calle_Sandell! i myself haven't really taken any night pictures yet. B&W pictures always gives it that eerie feeling. those pics you have there feels like from some kind of early horror movie. :D it's almost like a story there in your pictures!

I really like those pictures Calle. They are framed nicely and correctly exposed in my opinion. A tripod in the darker situations will definitely help, along with a remote for the shutter.

Keep them coming, i love pictures. :rock

Here are some pictures of a family of ducks. My GF and I saved them from being run over. They were little babies with a momma in the middle of the road. Now they have grown accustomed to us and will allow us to hand feed them.

3b4b9865.jpg

d8b567f9.jpg

This one has a hurt foot but he is getting along just fine.

51971aed.jpg

When we first saved them they were very little and yellow, now they almost look full grown. My how quickly it happened. :monkey2

efe5b74c.jpg

4d97e17f.jpg

Back