Photography Tips and Tricks-New Camera

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always rub one out before taking pix, it calms my nerves and steadies my hand:D

You should try it.

I am starting to understand more and more as I practice with the camera. The F numbers are starting to make more sense as well as the lens speed. The most helpful tool is definitely the exposure bar. I am having tons of fun. I think I might get a decent macro lens soon as I have heard they can be quite versatile too. :)

Here are some pics I took today of my dog, Monster, wading in a pond.

9a46012b.jpg

Chilling out afterwards...

0979281d.jpg

1cdc7d01.jpg

I like to get these close up shots. I think with the macro lens I can get them sharper, closer, and faster.

6b660fc2.jpg

9aa0aa92.jpg

Man, I wish I still had all my SLR equipment that I had back in the late 80's! It all got stolen out of our apartment in Queens. I had macro lens, reversal rings, closeup lenses, etc. With the right combination of a reversed lens and closeup lens, I was able to take some macro pictures that were incredibly close to the subject! Those were the days... I really need to go out and get some more lens and stuff, but these modern Nikon digital lens are expensive!!! (Not that Nikon lens weren't always expensive!)

Thanks for the kind words guys. I have just found out what shooting in RAW means and how to process them afterwards. I have a new lens coming my way soon so be on the look out for more pics. Here is a picture of my dog again. Just playing around trying to get used to the new camera and how to take pictures with it.

Does this pic look over-exposed?

1beed9ae.jpg

I wouldnt think it is over-exposed.

Also what kind of lens did you get.

I wouldnt think it is over-exposed.

Also what kind of lens did you get.

I ordered two lenses that haven't arrived yet. One was a 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro and the other was an EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens. I picked the 100mm macro lens for really intense close-ups but many reviewers said that it was also a very versatile lens...good for portraits. Supposedly it is very sharp and creates very nice background blur (bokeh I think it's called:monkey5).

The 50mm was pretty cheap and I selected it because it supposedly sees what the eye can see. Also a very versatile lens. I don't plan on going lens crazy so I tried to pick the ones that would serve as many purposes as possible.

I am really excited and I can't wait to take more pictures and go on trips with my camera. What kind of lens do you use to shoot action shots, like surfing? My camera is going to get a beating when we go to Costa Rica again. Last time I went I only brought a crappy video camera....

Last edited:
I ordered two lenses that haven't arrived yet. One was a 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro and the other was an EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens. I picked the 100mm macro lens for really intense close-ups but many reviewers said that it was also a very versatile lens...good for portraits. Supposedly it is very sharp and creates very nice background blur (bokeh I think it's called:monkey5).

The 50mm was pretty cheap and I selected it because it supposedly sees what the eye can see. Also a very versatile lens. I don't plan on going lens crazy so I tried to pick the ones that would serve as many purposes as possible.

I am really excited and I can't wait to take more pictures and go on trips with my camera. What kind of lens do you use to shoot action shots, like surfing? My camera is going to get a beating when we go to Costa Rica again. Last time I went I only brought a crappy video camera....

Both should be very nice. Both are nice and fast the 50mm is really fast. You have to remember that your camera has a 1.6 time magnifaction based on the sensor size so a 50mm lens is more like a 80mm lens on a 35mm film camera. Basicly you have a lens thats about 2 times zoom and another that is about 4.5 times zoom.

Took some more today. I think they are pretty cool...messed with the shutter speed to freeze the water.

Before...

1aa2375b.jpg

After...

1a8339ec.jpg

Makes me thirsty!:monkey5

i can see a few airborne water droplets. very nice Rory!

earlier i was messing around with my 85mm lens mounted on a tripod. i was taking pics of my baby daughter. i felt like those kid photographers trying to get a smile from them. lol. she kept looking at the camera instead of me. it was really funny. i could tell she was like, "what the heck is that camera doing in front of me?!" :D

That is cute Ed and funny. :lol

Post some pics of her! This thread isn't just for my pictures, it's for everybody to share and learn together. :rock:D

i sure will. i still need to convert them from RAW. here's a few early test shots i took last year.

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

those pics were taken with a Canon 70-200mm f2.8L lens. it's a heavy gun!

did you see the few specs of droplets in the first pic? also, if you look closely you'll see a strand of spider web on the last one.

those pics were taken with a Canon 70-200mm f2.8L lens. it's a heavy gun!

did you see the few specs of droplets in the first pic? also, if you look closely you'll see a strand of spider web on the last one.

Wow, I didn't even notice those things on my first look but now I see them. Super details are awesome! I want to freeze the rain in a picture to make it look as though it is suspended in air....now that would be a killer shot. I would blow it up and plaster it on my wall. :lol

Back