Premium Format Perseus - Clash of the Titans Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I usually don't read up on stuff that sucks. This is Rick O' Connell all over again....at least that thread had some people defending it.

The Mummy was a fun film with a huge box office showing. CotT was a failure with very little positive reaction. Had the head sculpt on the Rick O'Connell PF been strong, it might have been a modest success. Obviously it was not going to sell as well as SW or Marvel, but a failed likeness is the kiss of death to minor characters/properties, a point Sideshow has never quite grasped.

vampireclash.jpg

Last edited:
On the positive side that is cool you have so many display choices; 2 heads, 2 arms, sword and head in a bag.

But neither head look all that great and the just zero interest in anything from this remake.

Even if this PF was execute well it wouldn't sell much because the movie was just horrible. Bad choice of Sideshow.

The only one that will be left holding the bag is this statue and Sideshow. Sorry SSC, bad choice.

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't just bad luck (and/or judgment) on Sideshow's part. Typically, licenses to produce toys and collectibles based on movies are sold before the property has hit the silver screen, or has even completed filming. It's considerably cheaper obtaining a license like Star Wars before it becomes a mega-property and the license fees become astronomical. It's a gamble, pure and simple.

I'm sure Sideshow ponied up some dough expecting the movie to make a decent return, and assuming they'd make enough profit from their sales to get back their investment. They probably already began sculpting the figure and producing the molds when the movie finally aired. In other words, they had already invested in the license.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to predict the future (or how crappy a movie can turn out to be), but unless they want to simply write off that investment as a total loss, they can at least try to recoup some of that money by releasing one figure, or statue, or whatever. Naturally, you assign your B team to complete the project as the A team needs to concentrate on guaranteed money-makers.

That's probably why Hot Toys released the Dastan and Perseus figures as well, with no intention of ever producing any more figures from those licenses. Sculptors have been paid, molds have been produced...might as well try to break even. The sad part is that Sideshow and Hot Toys seem bent on sharing the same licenses these days, so when one company makes a mistake, the other company follows suit.

I don't think that's the problem...
at least HT's Perseus looks like Sam Worthington... :dunno

DSC07443.jpg

That's because Hot Toys' B team is still superior to some of Sideshow's A team's work. :lol

But when compared to other HT figures like the DX Joker, it's apparent that the headsculpt isn't quite at the same level. Even the guest reviews featured on Mike Crawford's site noted that both the Dastan and Perseus face sculpts were good, but not quite up to par with HT's best work. The likenesses are close, but not perfect, and both figures lack any kind of facial expression.

Last edited:
I assume that making products like this are part of larger agreements with studios. So if you want to make X figures, you also have to make some of Y to help promote the crappier lines.

I could totally be wrong about that, just a guess on my part. As I can't see anyone betting on COTT or Prince of Persia setting the collector market on fire.

That's because Hot Toys' B team is still superior to some of Sideshow's A team's work. :lol

But when compared to other HT figures like the DX Joker, it's apparent that the headsculpt isn't quite at the same level. Even Mike Crawford noted that both the Dastan and Perseus face sculpts were good, but not quite up to par with Ht's best work. The likenesses are close, but not perfect, and both figures lack any kind of facial expression.

Pretty sure that Mike doesn't own any HT figures and that his reviews on HT are guest reviews like from Wook.

Having said that, I think Perseus looks exactly like Worthington, moreso then the Terminator version, and is definately more accurate then the DX Joker which looks little like Heath.

Back