Penny Dreadful/Showtime

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I felt some remourse for Caliban. He did get abandoned screaming his lungs out to be forced on the world all his own. I know we view Frankenstein's monster as an alpha male over the course of it's existence but I think it's doing a good job retelling that Victor creates his own monsters killing her. If anything Victor is the emo one not putting a slug in the failure he created.

Loved this finale because it was so strong without blowing it's own load too fast. We still havent seen Dorian's picture. I think being rejected wanting something close to him as original was a strong scene. He was playing with everyone else but the one person he was sincere to rejected him. The fact she knew who he was so well gives him character development. He's going to orgy himself into oblivion to over compensate.

I hope this goes no longer than 4 seasons and that's being liberal. Three seasons would be ideal.

I can see what you mean with victors emo-ness but its subtle compared to calibans. They've literally written him as an angsty emo teenager.

Caliban: Dad, I want a gf. Give me one
Victor: No son
Caliban: But everyone else has one!!
Victor: I don't care if everyone else has one
Caliban: OH MY GOD DAD!! WHY ARE YOU SUCH AN *******!
Victor: That attitude will get you nowhere
Caliban: Oh yeah? Well if I can't have a gf, you can't have any friends! *snap*

I can sort of see what they're going for, I mean unlike proteus, it seems like caliban has had to relive his life from scratch because he didn't retain his memories but did they have to make him so emo angsty of a teenager.

Lol

I cant argue with that. He showed up and was terrifying and hes since been less than terrifying. I just think they focused on Victor being the monster of his own creation which is a new take.

It was an extraordinary season finale. The ending with Vanessa and the priest was amazing especially with him asking her the question whether she really wants the exorcism to take place or not. That was truly marvelous. And Caliban's arc has been perfect so far as a great homage to Mary Shelley's novel. Sorry that you guys don't like it but that's how Shelley wrote it over a century and a half ago as a bizarre love story between creator and creation. The creature was emo before emo ever was a fad, quoting John Milton, being overly reactionary and just a bit unhinged like Lord Byron or Shelley's husband, Percy Shelley (who Caliban constantly makes references to). At the end of the day he wants his father's love, no matter what, and snapping people's necks and what not is what he does. Caliban quoting "Paradise Lost" was pitch perfect from the novel for that was the book that taught the creature everything he knows about the human race.

i cringe when Caliban is on screen. Actor is good, but man, they need to write him in some balls...how did they go from making him this creepy serial killer one week, a teenage girl the next? its loco. While I enjoy Eva Green, there is WAY WAY WAY too much of just her. The character is not as interesting individually as when she is interacting with the main cast. I enjoy the show the most when the main characters all have something to do - we need to get more of Josh Harnett - he's my fav thus far, but way too much in the background

I would definitely not say the finale was 'extraordinary' but more along the lines of 'competent' Just my thoughts. I'll turn in to season 2, but hope for some changes

Great season finale. Everyones story has really jumped up a notch with the exception of Dorian Gray. Brona and ethans outcomes were predictable although Maude as the red herring gave me a bit of a pause. IGN made a good point that pretty much everyone had figured out that Ethan was a werewolf and at this point they just wanted to see him transform already. I'm glad to see that they went wolfman instead of stupid budget wolf like other shows have done. I'm assuming he doesn't go too large as he was wearing the same clothes on him in the next scene and they weren't ripped or shredded. I'm curious if he turns into a complete animal or has some control over it. I still find it hard to sympathize with caliban and his emo awkwardness and rage kills but it was definitely interesting to see the scene with him and Victor.

I'm excited for season 2 and hoping more characters show up, especially league characters like Dr. Jekyll, quartermain, or even Nemo. I mean everyone has drawn comparisons to the two so they might as well embrace it.

I think this is one of the reasons why I watch this; I hope this to be like a league of extraordinary gentleman. :lol

Show has been real slow lately and only started to pick up at the ending of the season finale which it was supposed to. Love that Ethan is a wolfman as opposed to turning into a plain old wolf. Anxiously awaiting Draculas arrival!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think season one had to establish the characters which is why it seemed so cramped with storylines.
Now thats all out of the way (except for fleshing out certain characters - ethan) we should really get down to the nitty gritty in season 2.
Hopefully a lot more "horror" and less of Eva Green finding her clothes have fallen off (again).

Although, saying that.....

LOL yeah WTF dude? We always need MOAR naked Eva Green!!!

The world needs it right now.

Just watched the series. I really enjoyed it overall. Loved all the performances, though Eva Green deserves a ton of recognition for her performance. I loved it. I thought they did a great job of building all the characters. Especially Caliban, who I though they did a marvelous job of making him a sympathetic monster. Though, like Frankenstein, I don't know if I can ever forgive him that one particular death.

It did feel like things were just revving up, so I'm really excited to see where it goes next.

I really hope they show Dorian's portrait next season. He's always been one of my favorite literary characters. Though I'm always happy to see Eva Green without clothing, maybe they can do that and throw some more monster time in as well. Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, and Wolfman (hopefully with a lot more screen time next season) already shown--with all the talk of Egypt I'd love to see their take on the Mummy as well.

They said there was supposed to be a reveal of Dorians portrait in the season finale but they'd rather hold the suspense till next season.

I'm happy that the first season is done introducing and building each characters story. Can't wait for it to pick up now!

Though I'm always happy to see Eva Green without clothing, maybe they can do that and throw some more monster time in as well. Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, and Wolfman (hopefully with a lot more screen time next season) already shown--with all the talk of Egypt I'd love to see their take on the Mummy as well.

I agree that the Mummy would be a cool addition to the story. I could see him as a partner of Dracula & his vampires. Tbh due to all the Egyptian talk, I'm thinking that Dracula could be of Egyptian or Middle Eastern descent.

Tho I would like to see more interesting female characters like Vanessa in the next season. So far, she has been the only female character of any importance.
I'm also curious to see where the story will take Sembene. We know so little about him. I feel like there has got to be something more about him.

I agree that the Mummy would be a cool addition to the story. I could see him as a partner of Dracula & his vampires. Tbh due to all the Egyptian talk, I'm thinking that Dracula could be of Egyptian or Middle Eastern descent.

Tho I would like to see more interesting female characters like Vanessa in the next season. So far, she has been the only female character of any importance.
I'm also curious to see where the story will take Sembene. We know so little about him. I feel like there has got to be something more about him.

It's interesting because I read an article about season 2 where Logan said he was still trying to figure out what to do with Brona. To be honest, I'd be okay if Frankenstein botched the job and Brona wasn't resurrected. I like Billie Piper from her Who days, but the character didn't really do much, I think. We should at least have a strong female villain next season, though, so that's good.

I think bringing the Mummy in would be good. I'd also be up for some Lovecraftian characters and monsters in there. Some of the talk of old gods and such made me wonder if they weren't hinting at that a bit already.

I think Brona could be very good next season. As we've seen from the differences between Caliban and Proteus, the latter starts to remember his past life. I'm sure if given the time, he could of fully remembered it. Now with Brona, we can have her dealing with her resurrection, remembering her past life and the reason why she was brought back. It could lead to some interesting confrontations between Ethan and a jealous Caliban. It would also be a good introduction of the real Frankenstein to Vanessa, Sir Malcolm and Ethan.

I'm definitely excited for next seasons villain. She and Vanessa will play well off each other.

Anyone else watching season 2? I started watching it and saw the first 2 episodes. Really loving Madame Kali and her gang of witches.

I think it's hilarious
Spoiler Spoiler:

Anyone else watching season 2? I started watching it and saw the first 2 episodes. Really loving Madame Kali and her gang of witches.

I think it's hilarious
Spoiler Spoiler:

So far this season has been terrific, especially the third episode, where Vanessa explained how she first met the Nightcomers and learned how to be a witch herself. Patti Lupone gave an Emmy worthy performance as Joan Clayton, the witch who took Vanessa in and taught her the craft. That was one of the best hours of television I've seen this year. Can't wait to see where they end up going from here.

I think it's hilarious
Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Back