Penny Dreadful/Showtime

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's my theory as well. He was awfully calm about the whole thing and knowing the secret handshake as it were. I could see them explaining it as he was bitten by a tribesmen during the wars and he killed people as the wolf, hence why he is being sought by the law and left America.

My only gripe with that is that I'm tired of seeing werewolves simply portrayed as wolves. I mean I'm not expecting Wildman/dog soldier/Lycan look but something like American werewolf or even the dire wolf from GoT. Something physical that shows it isn't some random wolf.

I'm curious if Fenton Is or is a different character but same role as renfield.

Honestly, I can't see them making him just a wolf. I mean if the show really is a new spin on the Universal Monsters, they must go all out with these characters. So far they have with Frankenstein's creature/Caliban having him ripping Proteus apart almost instantly. And yeah, I think Fenton is definitely an analogue for Renfield.

Honestly, I can't see them making him just a wolf. I mean if the show really is a new spin on the Universal Monsters, they must go all out with these characters. So far they have with Frankenstein's creature/Caliban having him ripping Proteus apart almost instantly. And yeah, I think Fenton is definitely an analogue for Renfield.

Interesting Theory

All they were lacking this episode were the bright flashing neon signs for Josh Hartnett. I will admit that the last scene was NOT what I was expecting as a result from all the flashbacks.

All they were lacking this episode were the bright flashing neon signs for Josh Hartnett. I will admit that the last scene was NOT what I was expecting as a result from all the flashbacks.

I will admit to enjoying the show, but that ending gave me reverse boner

I will admit to enjoying the show, but that ending gave me reverse boner

Agreed but since this series owes so much to Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" that's kinda to be expected. Let's just say getting multiple reverse boners was the hallmark of that comic book. :slap

So cool that David Warner is playing Abraham Van Helsing with all his genre work over the past several decades and great beginning segment with Vanessa and the little girl, Lucy. Dorian definitely knows how to push everybody's buttons as well. Still uncertain as to whether that was Dracula we saw breaking into Vanessa's room.

Last edited:
I really hope those flashbacks end up being misdirection because they really did just basically point all the fingers at Hartnett. I don't think that was Dracula....it looked just like the one they killed in the 1st episode. I hope Dracula really stands out.

I really hope those flashbacks end up being misdirection because they really did just basically point all the fingers at Hartnett. I don't think that was Dracula....it looked just like the one they killed in the 1st episode. I hope Dracula really stands out.

I agree with you on Dracula. I'm pure sure he will stand out and be a lot different.

Agreed but since this series owes so much to Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" that's kinda to be expected. Let's just say getting multiple reverse boners was the hallmark of that comic book. :slap

So cool that David Warner is playing Abraham Van Helsing with all his genre work over the past several decades and great beginning segment with Vanessa and the little girl, Lucy. Dorian definitely knows how to push everybody's buttons as well. Still uncertain as to whether that was Dracula we saw breaking into Vanessa's room.

Excellent point; will give them credit for keeping me guessing....And yes, seeing David Warner as Van Helsing was wonderful!

It would be interesting if that was Dracula but in beast mode or whatever. He can change back to a normal looking person at will.

Josh Hartnetts character really is a curious one. I mean they've all but thrown it in our faces that he's a werewolf without actually showing it. On the other hand it could be something else.

I mean he handled those wolves as if he could actually speak to them, he was very much against giving his blood, he went into quite a tizzy over the dog/rat fight. Another thing I noticed is that he's fully aware that Brona has tuberculosis which is contagious and yet doesn't seem concerned about getting it, almost as if he can't.

My only other theory is that he's there in secret to hunt whatever it is that's doing the killings. Perhaps something that came from America and is responsible for a massscre. All those flashbacks he had were of guilt for not catching it.

Truth be told if he winds up being a werewolf, I'll be a bit disappointed. All the hints would basically mean the writers think the audience too stupid to see any or all subtle hints they could of done. I think the perfect reveal would of been for the season finale. Drop hints so subtle that 99% would miss but when they go back and rewatchit they go "holy crap, how did I miss that??". Then in the last moments of the episode, you get him in the very beginnings of transformation or fully transformed but not revealed. Leave the full reveal for next season. Have him be the simple gun slinger the entire season. There when they need him. A complete grey man who kinda pops up now now and then for work. Throw in some Brona scenes with him. Then boom. Straight out of left field.

Excellent point; will give them credit for keeping me guessing....And yes, seeing David Warner as Van Helsing was wonderful!

I've got to see the rest of this. I watched the first ep and loved it, but, since I don't have Showtime, I have to wait a bit. Seriously, though; Warner's voice is hypnotic (Ra's Al Ghul FTW!), so, to see him as Van Helsing would be an absolute pleasure.

I've got to see the rest of this. I watched the first ep and loved it, but, since I don't have Showtime, I have to wait a bit. Seriously, though; Warner's voice is hypnotic (Ra's Al Ghul FTW!), so, to see him as Van Helsing would be an absolute pleasure.

Every time I hear Warner say the word "detective" I get chills. He is and will always be Ra's in my book.

Agreed on Van Helsing!

As for Dorain I just dont get it. Maybe more will be revealed but it seemed like it was really just a "lets shock everyone and have a ratings bi scene" I just dont see the guy being that psychological unless he has some sort of pheromone power. He seems emo and like just getting close to people physically makes up for the lack of psychological prowess. The whole music can set you free scene just made me confused. He acts clever but I dont feel like he's being written as cleverly as what theyre going for. Maybe Hiddleston's Loki is how I see a guy like that being written but this Dorian seems like a sexual deus ex machina.

Less soap opera... moar brutality lol.

Good episode tonight. Definitely gives us an idea of what the hell Vanessa was talking about at the seance. So it looks like they're giving us backstory episodes this season for the main players. So far we've gotten Frankensteins and then tonight we got Vanessa, Sir Ian, and Mina.

Hopefully with the remaining episodes they give us Dorians (for those that have never read of him) and Josh Hartnetts character (is it sad he's the only characters name that I dont remember?. Hopefully it ends up going where we think his story will go although going in a different direction would be even more surprising.

I guess Hartnett's whore dies and will become the Monsters Bride?

That was the feeling I was getting. Either that or some tragic event will kill the girl from the theater and she will be the body for the bride. I'm almost guessing that caliban screws up during one of the shows and the actress gets killed because of it.

Last night was a good episode I just hope they arent blowing their whole head of steam by giving away all the mysteries that made the characters cool. They hooked us with badassery with the first episode I would hate to be bogged down with them ending season 1 without the badassery that was epi 1.

I want a little more balls to the wall in the next few episodes.

Once again, this series delivers the goods. The backstory for Vanessa, Mina, and Sir Malcolm was remarkably told and all with a haunting precision that really defined who these people really are. Plus, it was scary and wicked evil as hell. Just great horror all around on display. And the ending was ****ing perfect!

Back