Penny Dreadful/Showtime

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know he is under a spell but darn, Sir Malcom couldn't care less about his wife dying.

^ There's a part of me that feels Sir Malcolm is actually faking being under her spell and is just playing along to see how far everything goes before he strikes.

It's good to see him breaking out of her spell, tho I'm not sure how he did it.

I'm really liking the development of Brona/Lily. Definitely became a lot more interesting these past two episodes. I wonder what she'll do next.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Season finale is this Sunday.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Season finale is this Sunday.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Very curious to see how this season will end.

Caught up on Season 2 this past week. Still love this show. If anything, I think I might have liked this season even better than season 2.

Spoilers for episodes 1-9:

Although Dorian's story has felt disconnected (poor Angelique... I did want to believe that Dorian might genuinely feel for her but that's not really who he is) I'm glad to see everything is coming together.

I would tend to agree about the theory that maybe Dorian and Lilly will be the villains next year. Although, to be honest I find it confusing that Lilly makes the same offer to both Calaban/John and Dorian, where they will rule together. Unless, of course, she's just playing one of them or both of them. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't have much interest in having someone by her side.

Can I just say... what they've done with Brona is probably the best turnaround of a character ever. I mean, I enjoyed her well enough (though the accent was rough) the first season. And now it's easier to see the long game at work, here. Season 1 basically feels like an origin story for Lilly. One that makes me, at least, root for her. Even if she does end up a "villain" next season. That wouldn't be as powerful if we hadn't seen the groundwork laid in season 1. And I was really surprised by how much she was aware, apparently, of her past.

Vanessa is, of course, still the best character on the show. But I do think it's amazing how much all the characters have grown so that when Ethan and Vanessa aren't in an episode, it's every bit as fascinating. I was happy that Sir Malcolm was able to break free of Poole's spell on his own. If any character has gotten a bit of a short shrift this season, it's probably his. But he's still had some great scenes, and I think in a series like this it's natural for some characters to fall towards the back of the stage at times.

Some of my favorite scenes have been the deepening of friendships between them. As dark as things get, when Vanessa and Ethan can laugh with each other, or Vanessa and Victor small, human moments with each other... I love that. I loved that Lyle was brought into the fold even more substantially. I kind of fear for him going into the finale, though. Speaking of fearing for someone... they can't kill Sembene! His friendship with Ethan has been great, but I wanted more of that.

I actually love Calaban/John Clare as a character. He's very much like a child, despite his intellect. He's prone to a child's rages and entitlements. There are times when it's hard to remember why he hates Victor so much, because we didn't see much of it. And I think we as the audience tend to really like Victor. But his rage is not unwarranted. The fact that Lilly so wonderfully put him in his place, though, was amazing. I kind of wonder if he's not going anywhere soon. They might wrap up his confinement this season, but it was such a long build-up (and not a mysterious one, to the audience... I mean, they were pretty clear what was going on from the start) to have it resolve by the end of the season. That being said, they did resolve the Pinkerton guy's story pretty quickly, didn't they?

Finally, a note about Madame Kahli/Poole.... what a great villain for the season! I love her over the top castle of evil! The design of witches were pretty cool, too. Add in the creepy puppet/dolls.... well, it's been a lot of fun and they've been formidable foes.

2x10: "And They Were Enemies"

Spoilers...

Whew. After a season of build-up, the main threat of Poole & her witches is wrapped up relatively quickly. That the battle is more of a mental one than a physical one is not terribly surprising. I thought the scenes with Sir Malcolm and Victor became a bit repetitive. And it did make me laugh to think that the one witch was holding up Lyle and hissing at him for a good half hour before he shot her. But whatever. These are small, paltry things.

Sembene did, indeed, seem to perish. Though the fact that Sir Malcolm is taking me home makes me hope there might be some way of bringing him back as described above? Maybe? Probably not. I guess I'll have to accept he's probably just gone, but I will say his death is a bit frustrating. It felt a little too easy. He's well liked, but still a character on the periphery. But, we'll see how it plays out. And it did serve a reasonable story purpose, pushing Ethan to think that he shouldn't be a free man anymore, nor should he be alive. At first I wondered why he bothered turning himself in versus killing himself, but this way would give closure to the victim's families and get the police scrutiny off of Sir Malcolm's house.

It was nice to see Vanessa put the Devil(!) in his place. I was not expecting that. The confrontation between Vanessa and the fetish was a great way of playing this out. What clues can we glean from all of this? Vanessa says "Know your master" to the Devil. So how does she fit in? What is she? Is she still his beloved, but just the superior one in the relationship? Or something entirely different?

Surely Dorian and Lilly are the "big bads" for next season. The scene between them and Victor was wonderfully done. I'm so happy that Billie Piper is being so well utilized now. The plotline with the wax museum was certainly wrapped up sooner than I thought. I had wondered where The Creature/John Clare's strength had gone. Interesting that he seemed to be biding his time. That John rejects Lilly's plan (seemingly) and decides to flee civilization is interesting. The scene between Vanessa and he was heartbreaking and so lovely. I'm glad Lyle made it out alive for, hopefully, further adventures.

It made me wonder if the creators knew there would be a season 3? I assume not, as this would have made a good (if frustrating) finale for the series had it not gotten another season. Certainly, the decks have been swept clean for all sorts of new stories and plots next season.

I was excited to see this as a I feared the episode reduction was a sign of Showtime losing excitement for the show:
The first season had eight episodes and two was upped to 10. Moving to the third season, you have nine episodes. Was this a Showtime decision?

It just broke down to nine hours. Showtime is happy to do as many hours as the story warrants and next season's story happened to break down to nine hours. It could have been 12 or 13, but it just happened to be nine.

Last edited:
Extraordinary season finale. The last 15 minutes of that episode were sublimely morose and for good reason. Just loved it.

Pretty good finale.

The Monster snapping necks!!!

Chanting with Jigsaw.

Top demon witch chick getting her neck sliced wide open!

I'm sure he will. It sounded like, if anything, we'll be following all (or some) to the different locales they find themselves. Everyone won't reunite right away.

Good finale. The scenes with Lily/Brona, Dorian and Victor were great. Lily/Brona's character was been a really cool surprise. I expected to hate her but her story line was one of the most interesting parts IMO.

Still sad Sembene is dead :(

Absolutely loved this season. The dialogue was amazing perticulrly Lily's toward the end. Can't wait to see where things go next.

One thing that well has to be for the drama of it all but is annoying is the lack of God or a supernatural force for good to balance things out.
There's Lucifer and his empowered disciples but God doesn't speak to or gift champions with power.

Vanessa has gone through so much **** so losing her soul felt, I dunno, like why should she fight to retain it? Why should she have faith when God abandoned her long ago and made no attempt, aside perhaps from Ethan, to help her through the horrors.

I don't know much about religion or supernatural things but it seems that Satan or evil beings often takes a voice and directly intervenes and tempts or kills people whereas God doesn't have as much presence. In the Bible are there agents for good that have been given divine abilities to protect against satans influence?

I suppose it's about faith. Satan doesn't operate on faith but presence as when people pray to him they gain powers or knowledge or commune with him whereas prayers to God are one-sided.

Vanessa seems to me to be the embodiment of Gods lack of presence in protecting his children hence her decision to burn the cross. To turn her back on God in return for he turning his back on her long before.

All that aside I was really sad they killed off Sembene. I thought perhaps if a character was to get killed off it'd be Malcomb and I woulda preferred that to Sembene as it would be more unexpected and would change things a lot plus he just opened himself up.

I absolutely loved John killing the despicable Putneys. Was so satisfying. I kinda figured they were gonna do a freakshow when he said to his wife that Johns face would make them their fortune and his new exhibit.

John and Vanessa's farewell speech was excellent And it was so poetic how she said he was more Human than most men as it was so true. All he wanted was live and acceptance. He offered no ill will to anyone but his creator.

Last edited:
Started watching Season 3. I've only seen the first 2 episodes but so far, it's pretty interesting. I like the actor they choose for Jackall/Hyde.

I've got all of season 3 so far on my DVR but haven't started watching yet. For this show I usually save them up and binge-watch them.

Back