PayPal hits a new low

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kabukiman

Greatest Person Ever
Reaction score
Fuuuudge...

Although on the upside, we should start buying the hell out of the Asian recast pieces file claims, get our money back and destroy their product and business :lecture

Paypal has no right to demand the property be destroyed, it's not their probperty and can't authorize that and demand that before they send back your money (unlike Sideshow, it's their property and product and can demand an item be broken before they send another). Paypal really are full of themselves.

Paypal has no right to demand the property be destroyed, it's not their probperty and can't authorize that and demand that before they send back your money (unlike Sideshow, it's their property and product and can demand an item be broken before they send another). Paypal really are full of themselves.

I'm assuming they can do whatever they want whether we agree or not if it's in their policy and disclosed in lovely fine print.

That said I don't agree and hate using them. :lecture

I think this could be bad for PayPal. They required something to be destroyed without any proof it was counterfeit. See how owner had it authenticated by someone it would seem that if the seller sued PayPal ( I hope they do) they would proof it was not counterfeit and the burden of proof would fall on PayPal that it was counterfeit to make it fall under its policy.

If the seller threatened a lawsuit and Paypal's intimidation tactics didn't pay off, I'm sure they would settle to the buyer's satisfaction well before courts actually came into play.

This could affect Paypal's policies on this issue, but I don't see it negatively affecting them in any substantial way. They're too big and powerful for that.

Of course, we're all going off of second hand information to begin with, so who knows if the real story is being completely laid out here.

--edit: in fact, going to the source article:

https://www.regretsy.com/2012/01/03/from-the-mailbag-27/

the seller seems to be suggesting that even if it were a counterfeit, it isn't a big deal, because it is a "work of art.":

"Some of the most expensive violins in the world have disputed labels, but they are works of art nonetheless."

"They somehow deemed the violin as “counterfeit” even though there is no such thing in the violin world."

If the seller threatened a lawsuit and Paypal's intimidation tactics didn't pay off, I'm sure they would settle to the buyer's satisfaction well before courts actually came into play.

This could affect Paypal's policies on this issue, but I don't see it negatively affecting them in any substantial way. They're too big and powerful for that.

Of course, we're all going off of second hand information to begin with, so who knows if the real story is being completely laid out here.

--edit: in fact, going to the source article:

https://www.regretsy.com/2012/01/03/from-the-mailbag-27/

the seller seems to be suggesting that even if it were a counterfeit, it isn't a big deal, because it is a "work of art.":

"Some of the most expensive violins in the world have disputed labels, but they are works of art nonetheless."

"They somehow deemed the violin as “counterfeit” even though there is no such thing in the violin world."

Since it was less than $5k, if the seller still has the letter of authenticity from the "top luthier," he can pay $50 and take PayPal to small claims court where he'll be awarded damages for the full $2500 sale price, shipping as well as court fees. Being a big corporation does not make you exempt from the laws. Especially in matters where no physical proof other than the word of the buyer results in the destruction of property.

But as you mentioned earlier, we don't know the whole story. The seller could've refused the return initially telling the buyer, "it was appraised and you got what you paid for." at which time, these measures would fit the circumstances.

PayPal has destroyed an item from history using what seems to be nothing more than the comments of a misinformed buyer in order to do so.

This quote from that article indicates to me that whoever wrote it is not exactly certain of the reason Paypal deemed this violin to be a phony. Although I do not see how they could have made the determination, I am very curious to know what they based this decision on.

PayPal has destroyed an item from history using what seems to be nothing more than the comments of a misinformed buyer in order to do so.

This quote from that article indicates to me that whoever wrote it is not exactly certain of the reason Paypal deemed this violin to be a phony. Although I do not see how they could have made the determination, I am very curious to know what they based this decision on.

They probably just accepted what the buyer said with out investigating anything more

Since it was less than $5k, if the seller still has the letter of authenticity from the "top luthier," he can pay $50 and take PayPal to small claims court where he'll be awarded damages for the full $2500 sale price, shipping as well as court fees. Being a big corporation does not make you exempt from the laws. Especially in matters where no physical proof other than the word of the buyer results in the destruction of property.
If the buyer has the evidence though, I'm guessing Paypal would pony up without it getting even to small claims court (assuming the buyer didn't want to sue for more than that for "emotional distress" over their destroying this priceless historical artifact or whatever). And that would be the easier route. But sure, court is the ultimate solution so long as the seller was willing to take the time and effort that would be required.

If this violin was certified authentic by a legit source, and if the seller has sufficient evidence to that effect, then they should be owed what Paypal took, and I'm sure the law would agree.

Back