Oldie but goodies (Power Rangers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, in my experience, Bandai's not the most cutting edge toy maker, with the quality Hasbro pours into stuff, Bandai looks about 10 years old with their stuff. Even the 90's PR stuff wasn't as nice as other toys out there. Best thing I've ever seen out of Bandai are Godzilla figures, those get great craftsmanship. It'd be nice if Bandai carried the Legends stuff further, but my guess is, there are less collectors of MMPR and more just kids playing, so we get the very toy stuff like right now. I'm still happy to have it all, I don't need Hasbro Star Wars quality to enjoy MMPR, and having been less than happy with my figures as a kid, these new ones actually do feel more like upgrades, I had the morphing 6 inch figures and their articulation was so-so and their body shapes were poor, these new figures, the females are nice, and the males, though overly He-Manned looke like human forms so that's cool. Paint apps could be better but they're 4 inch figures so no surprise.

...Your talking Bandai USA, because Bandai Japan has it down. Pick up some Gundams or any of there Soul of Chogokin line and you'll see. Hasbros got nothing on Bandai JP, Bandai USA has to dumb it all down for a US market, take out the diecast and do whatever they can for a decent price point that americans will spend on an actual "figure" in the stores. Case in point...look what Bandai USA is doing with the Kamen Rider figures, while look at there Japanese counter parts who are releasing the SIC Kamen Figures or the Figuarts figures.

I have to say I finally spotted the Megazord...I didnt pick him up because after seeing him in hand I just didnt want to plunk down the money for it. Maybe if I find him around later on marked down or something.

I've wondered at times about how Bandai is structured, they started to release American Godzilla figures, and I have the Japanese originals and all the American ones were subpart in sculpt, like they ruined the original figures, I couldn't figure how it happened, I assumed they'd just recycle the parts. Sounds like even though it's one company, the two divisions are dealt with much differently.

Yeah they totally are, I think they realize that the US market is much different than the foreign market mainly asian, but the US gets all the crap. I can remember alot of the early zords had diecast in them and then when they came to the US, the diecast was replaced with crappy sloppily painted plastic.

Your also right about the Kaiju (godzilla and all the other vinyl monsters). Its like bandai japan gets done with the molds then ships them to the US after they've been beat to hell or something. Its amazing how different Bandai US and Bandai JP really are.

Your also right about the Kaiju (godzilla and all the other vinyl monsters). Its like bandai japan gets done with the molds then ships them to the US after they've been beat to hell or something. Its amazing how different Bandai US and Bandai JP really are.

I can't even imagine how the differences occur, It's close enough you assume it's derived from the original sculpt, but I can't imagine what could happen to a mold to cause differences, it's almost like they cast the original and do a less resculpt of it, very strange. I can understand using plastic and lesser materials on the same design, even though that still stinks, but something like the Godzilla's where it's just a roto vinyl figure, I'd think they'd be identical figures, just maybe lesser paint apps. Certainly makes me glad I only ever had to use Bandai USA for one of my figures, and I recently replaced it with a Bandai Japan figure, different scales, USA is 6 inch and Japan is 4, but the 4 is infinitely better.

Maul,
your right about the paint apps as well. Like you said you would think for a roto figure...I mean how much easier can it get, but maybe its more difficult than we think which is why Bandai US gets it wrong...even in that case you would think maybe Bandai JP would just do everything and then just ship it to the US...maybe all the subpar units get seperated adn sent to the US, something probably either of us will never understand or figure out.

As for the diecast parts and stuff on some of the bigger figures, yeah i know why they do that, but again yes it stinks. Just something about an awesome figure/robot with diecast parts. A really hefty figure= :D

Last edited:
Well, in my experience, Bandai's not the most cutting edge toy maker, with the quality Hasbro pours into stuff, Bandai looks about 10 years old with their stuff. Even the 90's PR stuff wasn't as nice as other toys out there. Best thing I've ever seen out of Bandai are Godzilla figures, those get great craftsmanship. It'd be nice if Bandai carried the Legends stuff further, but my guess is, there are less collectors of MMPR and more just kids playing, so we get the very toy stuff like right now. I'm still happy to have it all, I don't need Hasbro Star Wars quality to enjoy MMPR, and having been less than happy with my figures as a kid, these new ones actually do feel more like upgrades, I had the morphing 6 inch figures and their articulation was so-so and their body shapes were poor, these new figures, the females are nice, and the males, though overly He-Manned looke like human forms so that's cool. Paint apps could be better but they're 4 inch figures so no surprise.

They made some damn nice prepainted/no glue/lighted Star Trek kits though.I have three of them.

bandai2.jpg

FYI, ABC is showing the old MMPR episodes! :rock

I'm watching the first episode right now! Wow, this brings back memories. It's all part of a MMPR "flashback." I'm assuming they're preparing fans for the new season aka "the revival!" :Rock

Another episode is on!!! Got to go! :rock

And another note, they've definitely modified the episodes some. There is some CGI that they threw in that wasn't there before. It doesn't take away from anything, but it's definitely noticeable. Just watch the intro and you'll see what I mean. There's subtle differences like that through the entire episode. Nothing bad, but nonetheless, you'll say "Wait a minute....." :lol

I'd get every season up until the one where Amy Jo Johnson left, after that year I lost interest in the show, I didn't watch it just for her, but her departure also started to mark a real change in the direction of the show and I just didn't like it anymore.

Hell yeah, he still needs some work, he kept dropping his hands alot, but it ws impressive to see the Omoplata used correctly and for the win. He looked wabbled, but did recover so he earned it, hes gotta work on his striking some more though.

The girl/guy with the cam is a spazz..i had to stop watching.

yeah i just had the green ranger theme in my head, "gooooo greeeeeeen raaaaaanger go go go green ranger"

I'm sure now, every kick, in the back of his mind he's going, I'm not the Green Ranger, I'm not the Green Ranger :lol

Back