Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official 3D ALIEN Prequel Discussion Thread

Whilst I think Leo is a brilliant actor I'm not sure if I can imagine him in an Alien movie. I thought he's mentioned in the past he didn't like being involved in sci-fi movies or was that comic book movies ?.

I just hope they do something completely different from what's already been given and don't try and copy any of the older movies. Whilst the first avp wasn't great , compared to avp-r and predators I've always thought it has the most originality to it in almost every aspect.

Whilst I think Leo is a brilliant actor I'm not sure if I can imagine him in an Alien movie. I thought he's mentioned in the past he didn't like being involved in sci-fi movies or was that comic book movies ?.

I believe it was comic book movies. He felt they didn't challenge him enough as an actor.

^ But he since changed his mind when he got into the bed with Nolan. :lol

From Syfy's Blaster which I peruse each night:

Everything you've heard about Alien in the past 48 hours is WRONG

December 9, 2010

You know that big infodump about Ridley Scott's upcoming Alien prequel that happened in the last two days, including a title, possible cast members, even an out-of-the-blue reason for the movie being delayed? Forget about it.

In case you didn't see it earlier or forgot, here's a recap of all the alleged news that hit the Interwebs about the project. But if you don't feel like reading it, don't worry: None of it is correct anyway.

A corporate communications spokesperson for Fox by the name of Chris Petrikin took to Fox's Twitter feed to debunk two of the biggest items put out there about the movie, saying that it is not called Paradise as reported, and that it is definitely one movie and not two.

Meanwhile, all that talk about Scott initially wanting Leonardo DiCaprio to star, and now looking to cast folks like Noomi Rapace (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo), Michael Fassbender (300) and Michelle Yeoh (Tomorrow Never Dies)? Nope. Not happening. The Playlist says that a source told them all that casting gossip is "just plain wrong."

Now, none of this stuff is completely unreasonable. Rapace, Fassbender and Yeoh could all be on some shortlist of actors' names that Scott dreamed up as potential cast members—that happens a lot and it doesn't mean those are the exact people he's going after. Paradise could be a code name for the movie to keep prying eyes away from the set when it does start filming (it would be kind of odd to have an Alien movie without the word "alien" in the title, don't you think?). But somehow this was all initially reported as fact, or close to fact, and that's not the case.

So what do we know? Pretty much that Ridley Scott is developing a prequel to Alien, which is what we've known all along. There is a script by Damon Lindelof, there is some preproduction going on, but so far there are no delays on actual production—because the thing is still not officially even greenlit yet. Until that happens, we'll take everything else we hear with an extra-large grain of salt.

Re: Alien Prequel – Paradise? – discussion thread

Two days ago, rumors started spreading about Ridley Scott's Alien prequel, and 20th Century Fox is on damage control. A report from Vulture cited "sources" that claimed the movie would be a two-part reboot called Paradise that could co-star Michelle Yeoh and Michael Fassbender as a "tough but sexy" woman named "Vickers" and an android named "David," respectively. Chris Petrikin, a Senior Vice President of communications at Fox took to his Twitter account to debunk the report.

I don't know where to begin to correct what is being written about a certain Ridley Scott project...

Petrikin decided to start by saying that Scott's Alien Prequel is "not two films" and is "not called Paradise", then noted that the Vulture report never "confirmed with Fox." Petrikin says that more information of the project is coming soon, so until then, we'll keep the speculation to a minimum.

Here's what we do know: Scott is directing, Jon Spaihts wrote the original script and Damon Lindelof performed a rewrite, and the movie's story will be set in the future, takes place in space, and will likely include the "space jockey" character depicted in the 1979 original. At least, we think that's all true.

If Ridley wants to do this right, he needs to convince James Cameron to come on board. They should do make this film together. Do what Fox should have done for Alien3 and Alien Resurrection, instead they destroyed the franchise and killed off some of the most memorable characters is sci-fi history i.e. Corporal Hicks, Bishop, and Newt. I understood that inevitably Ripley was going to die.

I thought DiCaprio was not going to be in the project due to one of his films running-on with Ridley's. And I honestly don't want him in the flick. He's a good actor (not particularly fond of him, though he has his successes), but not for an Alien flick.
And I say make it a Ridley-only job, especially if Giger will end up onboard. These are the only two guys I trust with anything related to the original 1979 movie. Cameron would do an awesome job for sure, just not the job a '79 Alien prequel would call for.

Last edited:

Blade3327, ya i guess you are right. Cameron would want to put his own original stamp on it like he did with Aliens. He already has a bad history with Giger, since he left him out of the Aliens project. My only worry (like the previous posts) is Ridley will try to create a second type of Ripley character and just in a sense "reboot" the franchise.

I don't think he'd do that. Personally, I'd hope for more of a survivor story. So many of the books and reading material based on the series revolve around survivors of a Xeno attack years earlier. And they have to stay in hiding and deal with the psychological trauma caused by the encounter. Ripley was slightly more heroic than this.

As far as the Space Jockey goes, I always thought it'd be cool to give it the silent presence it had in the 1988-89 Dark Horse comics. It just kind of floats in the air ominously, a big and bulky thing with a fogged-up helmet. The only person it communicates with is the main character, and it does so telepathically. I keep getting this picture of it in my head: just hovering in the air out in the open, not moving, almost completely covered by the dark foggy winds of the planetoid, and all you can see are the small light reflections off the contours of its suit. The whole thing is a front view with the SJ in the middle of the shot, far away in the distance. Very Giger-esque image. They need to handle these creatures with mystery and suspense for sure, since there were so many questions surrounding them in the first film as well. It'd give them that eerie vibe that we know and love from A1.

If Ridley wants to do this right, he needs to convince James Cameron to come on board. They should do make this film together. Do what Fox should have done for Alien3 and Alien Resurrection, instead they destroyed the franchise and killed off some of the most memorable characters is sci-fi history i.e. Corporal Hicks, Bishop, and Newt. I understood that inevitably Ripley was going to die.

No way...you might as well have spielberg show up too

Blade3327, ya i guess you are right. Cameron would want to put his own original stamp on it like he did with Aliens. He already has a bad history with Giger, since he left him out of the Aliens project. My only worry (like the previous posts) is Ridley will try to create a second type of Ripley character and just in a sense "reboot" the franchise.

Correct...glad you saw that...Giger and Scott will make it a true thriller...the first one is still one of the best horror/scifi flicks of all time...

Last edited:

I'd actually prefer Cameron to stay away from any alien movies.
Don't get me wrong, he's a master crowd pleaser, but he's far from my choices of top directors.

I'd actually prefer Cameron to stay away from any alien movies.
Don't get me wrong, he's a master crowd pleaser, but he's far from my choices of top directors.

I have to agree.

I do love his movies, but I'm ready for something other than an epic action movie.

I'm ready for another "haunted house in space" Alien movie.

On the other hand... if Cameron made another alien movie it'd probably be huge at the box office and the franchise would be immediately revived beyond our wildest dreams.

On the other hand... if Cameron made another alien movie it'd probably be huge at the box office and the franchise would be immediately revived beyond our wildest dreams.

Imagine if he linked Avatar with Alien and Predator...Woot!

Wasnt Cameron planning an Alien movie with Ridley Scott, but ditched because Fox cheaped out and went and made AVP?

Yeah, I've heard that too, but never could find out whether it was just some unfounded rumor.

Back