Official repainted Anakin image thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hairlesswookiee said:
i agree for $50-60 these are AWESOME figures. they are 12" figures... if you want something better jump up to the PF. im not gonna repaint any of my SS figures no matter how bad the paint might be. if anyone here doesnt like their anakin you can box him up and send him to the needy (i'll PM you my address:D )

Is that needy or greedy? :lol j/k!

LOL, some people. These are awesome figures for price. Hell, the outfits and accessories alone are worth 50 bucks.

Now if they were $100 figures, I would expect more. But even Medicom figures which are more than that, are far from perfect.

A mass production paint job will never be able to compare to a 1 off custom.

And if you wanna take the $50 figure paint gripe further, compare a new $20,000 car from Ford with the same car painted by Boyd Coddington.

Gruff Old Bear said:
And here's what he did to my 1:6 Sideshow Dracula:

Bela1.jpg

Ooh, I want to show my repainted Drac again, too!! Les's looks so creepy!

dracrep12ms.jpg

Last edited:
That repaint Les did is absolutely mind blowing!!!! I have to admit mine was not as horrible as some others I have seen and I had actually become satisfied with mine. Until I decided to look at the thread and Les's repaint that is :monkey2

oxbeard said:
That repaint Les did is absolutely mind blowing!!!! I have to admit mine was not as horrible as some others I have seen and I had actually become satisfied with mine. Until I decided to look at the thread and Les's repaint that is :monkey2

It makes the sculpt really shine, it becomes a totally new figure. :cool:

RoboDad said:
Well, considering that there was also some minor resculpting of the chin, it really is a different figure.

I somehow doubt the ever so slight shaving of the jawline makes that much of a difference.

greyrabbit said:
I'd like us customers to be able to return our Anakin heads to SS and have them reworked to Les Walker Standards; which should be considered as a customer's satisfaction guarantee or your money back.
Erm...maybe I'm missing the point but sideshow does have a satisfaction guarantee or your money back. Naturally they aren't going to repaint the bloody thing, if it was feasible to repaint them all (and if they did it for one they'd ahve to do it for all and most everyone would want it) they would have done it already.

Of course if everyone did send theirs back I wonder what they would do...

JustinLuck said:
I somehow doubt the ever so slight shaving of the jawline makes that much of a difference.
I think what he means is that Ani underwent plastic surgery.

JustinLuck said:

Totally agree JL, although the chin and jawline were slightly modified it is the EXACT SAME SIDESHOW HEADSCULPT, same face, eyebrows, eyes, mouth, nose, etc. What's most amazing to me is when you look at the repainted Les face you see what a great job Andy Bergholtz did, and what SSC Paint apps could have done to at least, a more acceptable degree for a mass produced item...

pjam said:
Totally agree JL, although the chin and jawline were slightly modified it is the EXACT SAME SIDESHOW HEADSCULPT, same face, eyebrows, eyes, mouth, nose, etc. What's most amazing to me is when you look at the repainted Les face you see what a great job Andy Bergholtz did, and what SSC Paint apps could have done to at least, a more acceptable degree for a mass produced item...

Yeah, Andy did an awesome job. Seeing these pics really inspires me to learn how to paint. :monkey5

I also want to add that the production paint job is not bad per se. All the paint lines look very clean on my figure. But the production Anakin looks more like a doll or mannequin, while the custom paint jobs look almost life-like.

pjam said:
Yeah, I might need a Martinelli apple juice there Dino...
Oh, did I give away your secret?
"I spill more than he drinks."
~Frank Sinatra

Uhh, I think slight "adjustments" to the chin DO make the head sculpt a lot better. That said, I know I wont get NO LUV on this from you old heads, but it's my opinion. Not saying Andy's sculpt was ever bad, but I ALWAYS thought the cheeks looked a bit fuller than remembered. Slight alterations can make a HUGE difference..think of how a person might look if you changed their eye color. Slight variation, major difference.

I dont think ANYONE expects the scult/paint to BE the actor for $50 bucks, but dayum, as soon as someone says they dont like it, everyone talks about how cheap it is, yet if you say it's too much, they say 'This aint Hasbro'. Well, the paint apps on this FIFTY DOLLAR figure are doll-like. Sort of what you'd expect from Hasbro. Com'on guys, the pouty red lips?????? Not a good look for SSC, even for only $50!

FLame ON!!

Customikey said:
I have only repainted the lips so far but seeing Les's work makes me want to do a full repaint. I wasn't sure about doing it because if I do it for anakin, I'll end up repainting EVERY STAR WARS FIGURE I GET, which will be a sizeable number. But, what the hell..

Here's a pic of my simple lip repaint, which I've posted before.
As to listing rates, I can do the lip repaint for $15, or full head for $40.

Lip Repaint
anakin37vf.jpg

I'll be getting mine today. If I'm not happy you may be getting a PM tonight.

Wow. I am in at long last!!!! :emperor

Almost can't believe it... I made it!
Forgive my being a bit surprised as this is my first ever post here...
I have tried to get in so long that I have NO idea what I did right this time. :chew

So....yeah...Anakin head repaint...
(Stay on target...stay on target....:D Quell excitement and post... )

First...
THANKS GUYS! I am so very honored to be here, much less to get the kinds of comments you fine fellows have to say about my work. VERY appreciated.

Quick notes about what I did:
Shaved (with a #11 exacto blade) the lower left chin and then sanded it smooth first with a medium grit sanding pad to blend it down, and then with a fine 150 grit sanding pad. On the second one I did, I also added a small amount of squadron white putty to smooth the area between the brows so as to make him not so posed angry, although either way works I guess.
I sanded it a bit with 150 grit, then began by priming with a flesh colored prime of water based acrylic enamel. I only ever use Model Master Acryls as they are the only paints I have been happy with on toy plastic, other than those noxious racing car paints I used to use...:monkey1

I then repaint using a blend (and I always paint by hand...NO AIRBRUSHES! Why? Why not! Just don't like 'em...).
I never use any color straight from any bottle, which makes any of my paint recipes normally hard to explain. I blend by eye and account for that paint darkening element in acrylics, and with Anakin, went with a much darker tone that I normally do. I noted in Episode II that Hayden had on a lot of skin darkening lotion since he was a Canadian and had to be tanned to look like he was from a desert planet. (read that somewhere) He was dark in Ep III as well, which affected the whites of his eyes and make them much brighter than normal. He is not so much tan, as he is a deep fleshtone.
I keep it simple so I mixed my two base colors, skin tone warm tint, and the lighter creamy base tone, then after a full coat of that, I do a wash of that mixed with burnt sienna to get the eye areas darker and then the mouth and rim the hairline (this has to be repeated after repainting the hair).
I mix some insignia red with the same fleshtones again and do the lips and rim the eyes. Some goes in the ears for shading.

Eyes. Long story that.
I evolved from painting the whites first and rimming etc., to painting all fleshtones and then going back in and painting in very clean eyewhites with a very fine brush, and then re-rimming and trimming and even doing eyelids and shading and eyelashes etc., BEFORE I do the almighty irises and the hated PUPIL of despair! For Ani I mix the light fleshtone cream color with a pure dark blue, and some burnt umber. I "set" the eye with the darkest tone, then do my "bullseye" techinque that sets in the lighter tones, one on top of another, all accounting for placement and lighting. I always add a smidge of white in to the lightest blue in the lower iris area to account for light catching the lower, inner iris. I NEVER USE THE DREADED WHITE DOT OF SHAME!!!! Hate that! Let the gloss-coat do that...with light...DUH!
I then, add in the Pupil of despair, as I call it, because one small misstep and you all know...back to the iris drawing board...many bad words later...it is placed. Oh, and that is the ONLY use of pure black I ever use.

Then I add some glosscoat and extra drops on the iris for a lens. Tricky, but well worth it!!!! Try this. Add a lens to the eye. Makes it pop out real, and reflect light as it should. No White dot of shame needed! This is not Anime!
(Sorry..I hate that white dot like Palpatine hates Jedi! :emperor )

So...then, paint up his hair...blend in some deep colors where needed to smooth the hairline... then seal coat with dullcoat...and...VOILA!
YUR DUN!

Hope this helps you fellas not spend $50 extraneously. Yes, it's skill and time, but from what I have seen, most of you guys have both, so get to it! :D

And thanks again for all the very kind words. You fellas all rock! :chew

Back