Official NECA Terminator Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree 100%. But as a few others have said a lot went into this figure, no reusable parts (other than the endo arm as far as I'm aware) so I'm sure NECA will want to take full advantage of that and make more money on him down the line if they can. If they do release him again I can't imagine he'd come with his bike though. If anything it will be similar to how Newt was released in a two-pack with Ripley. T-800 and JC.

I do agree that there will be a rerelease of SOME sort given NECA's MO. But this as a whole package is really everything any of us long term T2 collectors need to tie up the loose ends, if that makes sense? Regrettably HT hasn't done anything to expand the license, so I've continued this NECA line long since I've left 1/10 collecting for 1/6. This is the first 1/10 fig I've bought in quite a good while, and probably will be the last for another extended period.

In regards to how we will see JC again, I do think you're right about a two pack. That's sort of been how I expected we would see him in the end anyhow.

Ideally, if NECA wanted to squeeze out one more little nugget from the long term folks, give us a Pescadero escape two pack with John and Sarah. You have Sarah being repainted in white with a few pieces of new tooling (like lower legs and feet).

All that being said, and I'm probably going to regret doing so, I am surprised to NECA's commitment to consistency with the line's paint apps. The ultimate releases and T2:3D editions were the perfect opportunity for them to reinvent the line with their flesh tone plastic and use printing tech, yet they didn't. I don't know if that sadly just has to do with the cost margins being weaker for the Terminator or if NECA is just good to keep the consistent style, but...

I think that's the only way a lot of us get drawn back in after John Conner, if they relaunch the line with new sculpts and the modern flesh tones.

They got the most they could have out of that original clam shells bubble line.

As far as I'm concerned, before this John, they hadn't made a "new" Terminator figure since the ultimate Sarah Connor. Everything else has been sourced from that original line that were on the clam shells bubbles.

After John, I'm completely fine with them dropping Terminator altogether. They clearly have no passion for it anymore, not like they used to. So why keep bugging them to do more? The logic is that Terminator doesn't sell well without it being Arnold or whatever, but they don't really seem to try. Why not do two packs? An updated articulated Kyle Reese with Arnold. A John Connor with Arnold. How about stop being lazy and make a new Arnold with some double hinged elbows and knees that you can pump 20 variations out of? Just think of how many new Aliens and Predators they've made, then look at the Endoskeleton. That damn thing has been reissued a dozen times for the past 14 years since Cult Classics Series 3. 14 years. They could have done so many cool things in terms of articulation and sculpt with an all new Endo, but they just refuse to do it. They could make the quintessential robot figure in this scale, and keep reissuing that, but instead choose to sell a 2005 figure with some new color. That figure is horrible and the plastic is nearing china bootleg quality at this point. That's where they're at with Terminator.

Not to diss NECA, they've made a lot of cool things. But with Terminator, their stuff does seem second rate like they're just plodding along with no real focus. They have some of the best sculptors and artists in the business and it's just like, "what are you doing?". Think about that endo arm that comes with John. That was teased three years ago and is finally going to be in collectors hands next month. People guessed it was for John initially, only to be straight up told "not happening, doesn't sell, niche".

Like, if I'm a terminator fan and I sculpted that original Endoskeleton or the original Pescadero Arnold, surely I'd want to take a second shot at it a decade later?

Well, why keep bugging them to do more? Because of all the stuff you then go on to say basically, and what DioramaMaker said. The line still has potential to get us to buy more. Look at those customs from DikkeToys - granted the Kyle Reese variants would never be high on NECA's list but there's more T-800s and T-1000s they could do and a Pescadero Sarah Connor. Double-jointed elbow articulation, a bigger range of alternate hands etc

However, your point is probably that, yeah, they could be doing all this and they aren't, thereby demonstrating that they just don't care enough. They prefer their Predator and TMNT sales numbers. Can't argue with that.

I'm sure as Terminator fans, NECA would love to do more, and John being an SDCC exclusive says to me they understand and respect it as the final missing piece in the T2 line and they want to throw the hardcore fans that have followed all along a bone, but they know their sales numbers don't warrant a mass release or much future effort on their part, unfortunately for us.

My guess is the Kenner retro figures may not be selling as well as hoped either and decision as to what to do with John was probably driven by that.

I'm sure as Terminator fans, NECA would love to do more, and John being an SDCC exclusive says to me they understand and respect it as the final missing piece in the T2 line and they want to throw the hardcore fans that have followed all along a bone, but they know their sales numbers don't warrant a mass release or much future effort on their part, unfortunately for us.

My guess is the Kenner retro figures may not be selling as well as hoped either and decision as to what to do with John was probably driven by that.

This makes sense.

I do think it just doesn't occur to Randy that Terminator figures could do with different hand options just like Hot Toys and Enterbay provided. Take the T2 T-800, he is incapable of holding the shotgun upright like he does on the movie poster or in that classic slo-mo shot of him coming out of the elevator at Pescadero. The figure could really benefit from a double-elbow and a different hand to facilitate those poses that people tend to want to recreate but which end up looking kinda silly on the figure as it stands. Meanwhile the left barrell-grip hand looks stupid doing anything other than gripping the barrell of the shotgun so it'd be great if you could switch it out with a relaxed hand or a fist.

Look at John Connor, turns out the only hands he comes with are those bike-rider hands. What a missed opportunity for a thumbs up or high-five hand, really obvious John Connor-specific stuff I would have thought.

And who wouldn't want a T-800 smiling headsculpt?! Not something any company ever thinks of because alternate heads with Terminator are always battledamage - never alternate facial expressions.

This is stuff that I wonder has Randy even thought of at all to then evaluate the economy of it.

So there's certainly a tonne of ways to get me to keep buying.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's thought of, but again, it all comes down to re-use of parts to recoup costs. Yes, Aliens and Predators have seen a slew of figures, but I doubt they'd be where they are today if the early attempts to make money of past work failed. Those lines have thrived because the Kenner retro figures, the lost 12, the comic and video game and all other variants have sold as successfully as the primary figures to back up financially exploring more rare things and because of similarities they were able to give those niche figures because of how many parts could be re-used.

Terminator did benefit from this, the T2 and T1 lines had variants thanks to the ability to reuse so many pieces, otherwise we wouldn't have all the T-800 and T-1000 figures we got. The articulation and options lack because most of them were made when NECA more so made semi-articulated statues vs fully articulated figures, and at the time Terminator was huge thanks to Salvation, we got a load from NECA and Hot Toys and now Terminator has all but died down. They took a shot on Genisys Arnold because it's Arnold and still didn't have success, they gave us a few Ultimates with little work to try and keep things going, some Kenner figures, but ultimately, I think it's clear, around 2009 was the time to strike with Terminator products, and between a slew of disappointing movies and the age of the good ones, no one cares for them anymore, at least not enough general buyers to support effort out of NECA, now your'e down to the few die hards like us. Unfortunately collectors, Terminator has also had a share of pretty nice products from a number of manufacturers. The Alien and Predator franchise has had some gems, though extremely expensive, but nowhere near as many, so NECA almost has a monopoly on those franchise and they're touching on films no one ever expected so it's getting eaten up. Hot Toys did a great T2 line, and some decent T1 figures, and then there's the Enterbay figures, the Sideshow T1 PF. I think in general, Terminator merchandise demand is less than Aliens and Predator, then add to it, there's been plenty of it in comparison.

I'm pretty sure it's thought of, but again, it all comes down to re-use of parts to recoup costs. Yes, Aliens and Predators have seen a slew of figures, but I doubt they'd be where they are today if the early attempts to make money of past work failed. Those lines have thrived because the Kenner retro figures, the lost 12, the comic and video game and all other variants have sold as successfully as the primary figures to back up financially exploring more rare things and because of similarities they were able to give those niche figures because of how many parts could be re-used.

Terminator did benefit from this, the T2 and T1 lines had variants thanks to the ability to reuse so many pieces, otherwise we wouldn't have all the T-800 and T-1000 figures we got. The articulation and options lack because most of them were made when NECA more so made semi-articulated statues vs fully articulated figures, and at the time Terminator was huge thanks to Salvation, we got a load from NECA and Hot Toys and now Terminator has all but died down. They took a shot on Genisys Arnold because it's Arnold and still didn't have success, they gave us a few Ultimates with little work to try and keep things going, some Kenner figures, but ultimately, I think it's clear, around 2009 was the time to strike with Terminator products, and between a slew of disappointing movies and the age of the good ones, no one cares for them anymore, at least not enough general buyers to support effort out of NECA, now your'e down to the few die hards like us. Unfortunately collectors, Terminator has also had a share of pretty nice products from a number of manufacturers. The Alien and Predator franchise has had some gems, though extremely expensive, but nowhere near as many, so NECA almost has a monopoly on those franchise and they're touching on films no one ever expected so it's getting eaten up. Hot Toys did a great T2 line, and some decent T1 figures, and then there's the Enterbay figures, the Sideshow T1 PF. I think in general, Terminator merchandise demand is less than Aliens and Predator, then add to it, there's been plenty of it in comparison.

Yeah, Predator and Aliens are their bread and butter. Even the Godzilla stuff seems to sell well. I was so disappointed when the Rocky and Rambo lines ended, but at least we got some good stuff from it.

I'm surprised that NECA hasn't made Matrix figures. In fact, no one has, except HT, and that's just ONE figure.

N2 toys made articulated Matrix figures before McFarlane got the license, but they were crap lol

So it looks like we are getting Dark Fate NECA figs.
78b2aeb9b32e644fd14dd8056da63451.jpg

Back