Official Hasbro Ralph McQuarrie Figure Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually as far as I know all the McFigures comming out are 100% his concepts and that Hasbro has actually showed these to him and he enjoyed them a great deal.. unless I've missed something.

Memnoch21 said:
Actually as far as I know all the McFigures comming out are 100% his concepts and that Hasbro has actually showed these to him and he enjoyed them a great deal.. unless I've missed something.
Well that is not the exact idea I got from the guys who did his book. We talked to them quite a bit during the show. He was not upset but not pleased with the way some of these came out. I am not sure what ones they were though, I know they had some issues with the Koto piece.

What issues are there though other than small details or the face sculpts? These figures are.. well minimalist. Like the Koto piece, is Vader's cape wrong or something? I thought that was fantastic.

It's been pretty frustrating trying to get all of these. I like them very much, though, so it's worth it. I can't see why Ralph would be upset by them. All the ones I've seen are pretty good interpretations of his artwork.

Morgan the Raider said:
It's been pretty frustrating trying to get all of these. I like them very much, though, so it's worth it. I can't see why Ralph would be upset by them. All the ones I've seen are pretty good interpretations of his artwork.

I hope he is happy with them. They are bringing a lot of interest in a very stagnet line. I know I'm not the only one who hasn't even thought of getting any 3 3/4 figs in years and years but I will get all of these.

Memnoch21 said:
What issues are there though other than small details or the face sculpts? These figures are.. well minimalist. Like the Koto piece, is Vader's cape wrong or something? I thought that was fantastic.

They didnt specify but the Koto was one they singled out. They are not upset with all of these but not completely pleased either. But on the other had they have no control at all either.

The thing is that most of the original artwork is super small yet super detailed so I am not sure they think the size is a crutch. They showed one in the panel and it was like 2" square and then blown up and you would never known.

I'm really happy Hasbro did these figures. They're the first 3 3/4" ones I've bought in years.

I was just looking through some of my SW art books, and I think the figures look like McQuarrie's work. But I think Joe Johnston should be given some credit...especially for Yoda and the Snowtroopers.

Batty said:
I'm really happy Hasbro did these figures. They're the first 3 3/4" ones I've bought in years.

I was just looking through some of my SW art books, and I think the figures look like McQuarrie's work. But I think Joe Johnston should be given some credit...especially for Yoda and the Snowtroopers.
So the Yoda and Snowtroopers were someone elses work? I thought so. Its like a lot of the ships that Joe did original concept drawing but Ralph did some detailed drawing and they became his.

I think part of it is that there are no 360 drawing of these so some stuff had to be just made up, and its not what Ralph invisioned.

So the figures definitely look like they're based on McQuarrie's final paintings, but Johnston and John Mollo have very similar designs.

McQuarrie-

McQuarrie and Johnston (lower left)-

McQuarrie and Mollo (right)-

Johnston-

Last edited:
i confess that i didn't read through the 70 plus posts in this thread, but i wanted to ask if someone could post a complete list of all the mcquarrie figures out and the ones coming soon. thank you.

tylerd said:
i confess that i didn't read through the 70 plus posts in this thread, but i wanted to ask if someone could post a complete list of all the mcquarrie figures out and the ones coming soon. thank you.

I think this about covers it

Stormtrooper - wave 1
Boba Fett - wave 2
Chewbacca - wave 3
Vader - wave 4
Leia Starkiller - wave 5
Snowtrooper - wave 6
General McQuarrie - also wave 6
Han Solo - wave 7
Luke Skywalker - C4 exclusive
C3PO and R2D2 - also exclusives
Obi Wan and Yoda 2 pack - SDCC exclusive

Currently Released:

Concept Stormtrooper
Concept Boba Fett
Concept Chewbacca
Concept Luke Skywalker - CIV Exclusive
Concept C-3PO & R2-D2 - CIV Exclusive

Still to Come:

Concept Darth Vader
Concept Obi-Wan and Yoda - SDCC Exclusive
Concept Snowtrooper
Concept Han Solo
Concept Princess Leia

I'm missing a few but that should help for now Tyler.

thanks guys. got all currently released but now there's more to buy. there's always more!! :)

On the backing card for the McDroids, it says there will be 12 figures released in 2007 that are McQuarrie concept.

I'm not sure whether the two packs count as two seperate figures or a single release though.

Either way I think this line's got legs and we might see concept figures well into 2008 and even beyond that.

JABBATHERIDGE said:
I'm hoping for a concept Palpatine with the variant heads, but a concept Jabba would also be a fantastic figure:D

Interesting, I'm not sure I've ever seen a concept art for Palpatine, just several ideas for his throne room, one of which was inspiration for Mustafar.

Back